Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Bargain "Red Dot" equivalent - 10% less than Promo

Boolit Master

Bargain "Red Dot" equivalent - 10% less than Promo

I use lots of Promo - the Alliant "equivalent" to Promo.

One of the surplus powder suppliers (Redeye reloading) is selling a MP-35 powder they claim is about the same, but at around 10% less given that they include shipping and hazmat ($200 for 16 lbs).

Note that they also seem to be stocked back up with all of the "regular" milsurps including H335 and BLC2 equivalents.

https://redeyereloading.com/?product...t_type=product

6/15/20 edit: The red text above does not match what I found after some of the initial responses. It looks like I just read it wrong. I now see it at $200 for 8 lbs. I do not see how they can expect to sell an equivalent at this price given that PV has Red dot at $149.34 for 8 lbs and Promo at $126.36 for 8 lbs)
    Last edited by P Flados; 06-15-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Boolit Master

It's says 200.00 for 8lbs? I get Red dot for 127.00 local for 8lbs.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Fine print

/given that they include shipping and hazmat ($200 for 16 lbs).

Sounds like a good deal, thanks
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I see $200 for 8 lbs as well. What am I missing?

Boolit Master
    I was only quoting from his original post. I just found 2, fourpounders of titewad, so won’t be ordering. I really need to get organized.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

https://americanreloading.com/en/265...-pistol-powder
    shows 16 lbs for $279.99
    SHIPPING & HAZMAT FEE INCLUDED IN PRICE

17.499375 per pound including shipping and Hazmat.

Ok not a bad deal if your out of Red Dot.

Says to work up loads using Red Dot levels - 10%.
    Hmmm

Considering I'm sitting on a big pile of promo and Red Dot not too interested.
    But I can see where others would be.
    Last time I checked price at BPInc it was about 24$ a pound with hazmat and shipping for an 8 lber of Red Dot. Promo was a bit cheaper.

If it was me buying 16 lbs I'd want to know more about what I am buying. Position on burn rate chart, characteristics, etc.

Boolit Master
    Post #1 updated on 6/15/20

Boolit Bub
    American Reloading often has 10-15% off powder. Seems like it has coupon codes more often then it don't.

They often get in powder that they say is "similar to" a certain canister powder. I recently ordered some that was "similar to PP 2000-MR" but haven't tried it out yet. From what I have gathered by talking to others and to the vendors supplying these powders is they are usually the canister powder they say they are similar to but in the commercial form which is used by major ammo manufacturers or in bulk lots from the makers of the powder and will likely be a slightly different burn rate then the regular name brand canister powder.

So if it says "similar to BE-86" More then likely it was made by Alliant and is BE-86 but was made for Federal to put in some of their ammo that got pulled or was possibly a little too off consistency to be considered canister grade so it gets sold under the Midwest Powders brand as a "similar too" powder.

It seems like almost all of this powder is from Alliant, so I imagine they have some sort of special deal worked out with them. Just like most of the pulled bullets you find out there are from Speer/Federal etc which is owned by the same company. The only exception to this I know of are the actual surplus powders used by the military which are WC-844, WC-846 etc. There are a few of them and even thought hey say WC-844 is similar to H335 it actually isn't H335 it is a completely different powder with similar burn rate. But the Midwest Powders ones that say "similar to" for an Alliant powder should be the powder they say they are. Don't hold me to this, but it's what I understand. More info would be great.

Boolit Grand Master

At $140 lb if you buy 2 jugs I don't see the savings over Promo. I still have a couple of jugs bought for under $100 each.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    At American Reloading the price doesn't reflect the 15% discount you add after it's in your cart. At the moment it says the 16 pound ones are sold out which are $280 but after 15% discount that makes it $238 or $14.88 per pound shipped with hazmat included. I believe they also had a 32 pound one for cheaper at one point but may be wrong. And sometimes it's more then 15% off.

If you keep an eye out for deals you can often get the WC-844/846 powders for $12-13 per pound shipped.

When it comes to buying pistol powders the savings aren't as big of a deal though during normal times of non panic buying. When normally a pound of powder will do a case of ammo and many powders can be had for $18-20 per pound for pistol powders. But for people that shoot a lot the surplus powders and Midwest commercial powders can save them a fair bit over time when you buy during the right sales.

Banned

thanks for both links. Both have some good deals. 844 has been hard to find lately.