RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Keeping the lubricator...well...lubricated? :)

Keeping the lubricator...well...lubricated? :)

Just a couple of questions because maybe I'm just too ignorant to find the answers in the search function...

I take it the the little holes on the pivot points
    of my Stars are for oil. I've never seen anyone say anything about it. I know without oiling these points and any other moving parts on the sizer is going to cause stress and wear faster. For years I've been using some steam cylinder oil which is roughly 600w to good effect on these points and the slide bars and it doesn't run too much even with the heater going.

The Mrs doesn't like me to wear my good cotton shirt with lubrisizing though.
    How she can tell it's from it rather than hamburger grease I'll never know!

Anyway, just my observation.

yes, you should add some oil to the little hole on the top to keep the crank shaft lubricated. You should also occasionally put a drop of oil on the two link pins that hold the "Ram Link". I get machines in where I have to replace the ram link because the holes have become elongated. Lastly, wipe down the two steel rods that the "Bullet Punch Ram" rides on. Keep them clean and lightly oiled. I have brought in a number of machines where the rods are gauled from a lack of cleaning and lubrication.

Take care of you Star Lubesizer and it will last forever.
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

Moderator Emeritus

rbwillnj -- Thanks for your post! I set up one of my Star's last night, and couldn't believe how stiff it was; apparently oil/lub put in years back dried(?). I put a liberal quantity of Kroil on everything that moved, which fixed the problem (and then some!). My thought/question du jour is what I replace/supplement/add to the Kroiled areas? I'll probably use Butch's Gun Oil, as I have a bottle of it on bench... Again, thanks for post -- a coincidence with what I was doing last eve.
    geo

I use Machine Gunner's Lube from Sprinco on all my loading presses, Star machines, firearms and just about anything else that moves. It's one of the few lubes I've found that lives up to it's claims: https://www.sprinco.com/mgl.html

Oh, and I have no monetary interests in the company or the products, but the lube really works.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I use Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil with Teflon, but I won't claim is better than any other. Any oil is better than no oil.
    NRA Patron Member

Just a side question...about what year were orings first put inside the tube for the dies? A couple of mine do not have any recess for orings.

I have never actually seen one with the O-rings, so I assume it was pretty late......or is it possibly just a Magma Engineering thing?
    NRA Patron Member

I guess its just magma.
    Didn't know the real mcoys never had them.
    i have a magma too i picked up and just assumed....

I have nine Star sizers, one knock-off of the Star, and a Magma Sizer. Only the Magma uses O-rings.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I use Machine Gunner's Lube from Sprinco on all my loading presses, Star machines, firearms and just about anything else that moves. It's one of the few lubes I've found that lives up to it's claims: https://www.sprinco.com/mgl.html

Oh, and I have no monetary interests in the company or the products, but the lube really works.

Hope this helps.

Fred

"We'll find out" Per your saged advice -- I just ordered a 4 ounce bottle from Sprinco. Thank you!
    geo