Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Is Henry Single Shot in 30/30 canidate for rebore to 38/55?

Boolit Buddy

Is Henry Single Shot in 30/30 canidate for rebore to 38/55?

Is Henry Single Shot in 30/30 candidate for rebore to 38/55?

I am looking a 38/55 to use as a cast bullet shooter. I will be contacting JES rebore about the feasibility of this conversion.

Has anyone done this and what are your results?

I look forward to your input.

Centex Bill

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry 30/30 single shot, I had thought about the same thing, would be a cheap 38/55. Mine shoots great as is, with some trigger work, cant bear to do anything to it.

Boolit Master
    This is a good idea, never thought of a „new“ donor Henry. I’ve always wanted a .375 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re-bore gunsmiths like Jess will only re-bore a .308" barrel to .358" if, after the re-bore, the remaining barrel wall thickness = .125"

Ergo, .358" + .125" + .125" = .608", the minimum barrel OD @ the muzzle for ANY re-bore to .358"

Measure your barrel's OD @ the muzzle and you will get the same answer that Jess would give you.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Need to determine amount of steel left in bottom of drill and taped holes or dovetail cuts also.

Boolit Buddy
    A better route might be a Henry in 357 Mag, and get it rechambered to 357 MAx.

There are lots of 38-55s already on the market. By the time you buy a Henry, and get it rebored (unlikely as noted above), you might as well go buy a good 38-55.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Ok, that peeks my curiosity. I have a 30-30 in a NEF handi rifle. I sent a letter to Jess about a rebore to a 40-60 Maynard. Bore .402 and groove .410 with a likely twist of 18. Basically this is a 30-40 krag blown out to 40 caliber and trimmed to 2.2 inches. Cast boolits of 300 to 400 grains. Jess said he could do it. In fact he mentioned he could do a rebore to a 405 win or a 405 JES. The formula for maintaining enough steel after a rebore would seem the barrel needs to be cut back about a half inch an recrowned to maintain an OD of .660+

Banned

I believe Texasbygod had a Winchester 94 rebored to .38-55 recently by JES and was happy with the results.

Banned

He talks about it a bit in this thread; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Turkey-season

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I believe Texasbygod had a Winchester 94 rebored to .38-55 recently by JES and was happy with the results.
    I did and I shot it today with a big grin on my face. It took me two shots, but i busted a clay bird offhand at 100 yards. I would definitely have that Henry done by Jes if that's what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I did and I shot it today with a big grin on my face. It took me two shots, but i busted a clay bird offhand at 100 yards. I would definitely have that Henry done by Jes if that's what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yeah, not sure where that false information about not reboring bigger than .359 came from.

By the way, Prodigal son is working with a .375 Whelen JES rebored for him from a .30-06 if I recall. I've been batting around having an old Santa Barbara Mauser I own done into one.

I went with the basic 3 groove option. I size the Lee 379250f to .377”; either LLA or PC- both shoot well. The rebore made a light rifle even lighter, so top end loads aren’t fun with the steel but plate. But 9 grains of Unique is shoot all day fun. Why did I have Dad’s 30-30 done? Because it’s mine now and the rifle, not the cartridge is where the memories are. Jes’s job is more accurate than the original; the same was true for the Remington 700 .243 that he converted to .358 Win for me. I’m a big fan now; no rebarreling/ blueing/ stock work- just a lighter gun in a bigger caliber that might shoot better than ever. I’ve got the bug for a 35-30 or a 9x57 or a 9.5x57 now- depending on what kind of donor shows up.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    TbG I have to agree with you on that really is the way to go and what a great way to save on the expenses of blueing, stock work and all the rest. I think I'll be doing more business with JES down the road.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We have at least 3 Marlins and two Win 94's that were 30-30 rebored by Jess to .377 groove.. And two Marlin's 336 that have JES grooves of .412.
    One is a 405 JES and the other is a 414 Superag.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If lack of metal doing a rebore is an issue ... put a 38-55 liner in the bore
    Regards
    John