Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relining 58 remington

Relining 58 remington

Have a 58 rem thinking about relining to .445. Doesn't matter if its a colt lemat whatever. if anyone has done this id like to hear about it how's accuracy before and after how much it cost. If i had a lathe id do it myself but that didn't happen so now i get to pay someone else
    Thanks
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Have a 58 rem thinking about relining to .445. Doesn't matter if its a colt lemat whatever. if anyone has done this id like to hear about it how's accuracy before and after how much it cost. If i had a lathe id do it myself but that didn't happen so now i get to pay someone else
    Thanks
    Listed under conversion services, this reputable C&B gunsmith states that he will reline a Navy barrel to .357 for $150. --->>> http://cartridgeconversion.com/Home_Page.php

"Re-line Navy Barrel to .357 $150.00
    (includes forcing cone, cyinder gap, and crown)"

Boolit Buddy

I've had Bobby Hoyt, The Freischutz Shop reline Six barrels. Four were .58 and two were .52 all shot great. Those were Rifles and Carbines,
    Will cost more than a pistol/revolver

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for Bob Hoyt. He has done several for me and this week I'm going back to pick up two more. Very good mechanic in the re-bore / re-line world.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Thanks
    Original of reproduction ? Why do you want to reline ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Its a reproduction I've had for a few years. Its accuracy could be a little better. Its somewhere in the 10 moa range at 50 yds. I remember dad years ago poping a rabbit in the head at a good distance with his colt. This one not so much. This is also my smallest pistol i own i like to carry it since i got rid of my 44Mag. A little better in the accuracy dept wouldnt hurt. Dont want to ream the chambers they are thin enough and i might try to replicate the old 19th century postol powder one of these days

Thanks for the answers i do appreciate it

Boolit Master
    Its a reproduction I've had for a few years. Its accuracy could be a little better. Its somewhere in the 10 moa range at 50 yds. I remember dad years ago poping a rabbit in the head at a good distance with his colt. This one not so much. This is also my smallest pistol i own i like to carry it since i got rid of my 44Mag. A little better in the accuracy dept wouldnt hurt. Dont want to ream the chambers they are thin enough and i might try to replicate the old 19th century postol powder one of these days

Thanks for the answers i do appreciate it
    I have a 2013 Pietta NMA, and it also came with the grossly undersized chambers. Fly reamed them out to 0.449” and chamfered it. I’ve been debating going up to 0.452” which my grooves are, or even 0.453”. The thin walls give me pause, but there’s another who’s done so and I’ve talked to him a bit about it because I use energetic powders (Olde Eynsford and T7) and short for caliber custom bullets with long driving bands which produce more pressure. He does likewise and shoots quite a bit. Ultimately you want to stop before you get to the bolt stops where it’s really thin. And think about that for just a moment. How thin is it right there? If that’s been more than up to the task I don’t see how reaming the chambers above that point could be any worse. I’ve also looked for information on cylinders that blew and can’t seem to find any. I can still understand an aversion to reaming though, and lining the barrel to match works all the same I suppose (not for me as I share projectiles with my ROA).

My NMA’s accurate hunting charge is 30 grns (weighed 33) of 3F Olde E no matter which projectile I’ve used (my 195 WFN bullet is merely 0.460” long as I figured my NMA would come with the slow 1:30” twist which is does not, and so I intend to fill in the excess space with more lead). In essence this would be an equivalent load to the .45 Schofield/.45 ACP, and that’s considerable, and those cylinder walls are all fine.

I came across some info a while back where someone was testing 4fg and comparing it to the old pistol powder i think it was 25grns behind a conical and it matched the ballistics from ye ole days i might go this route when i burn through this batch then again i dont really trust the pietta steel so im still stuck to the fence. I know if i touch the cyls i wont be goin to 4fg. Just thinkin how to get some more velocity out of a 5.5 bbl.

Boolit Master
    What is the groove diameter in your barrel?

A couple thousandth bigger than the cyl. I havent measured it in quite some time ill pick up a caliper in the next couple days and let you know my old one took a dump. If i remember right it was .451

Have considered getting Mister Hoyt to make me a barrel blank to fit Pietta .446/.447 diameter chambers.
    One blank to cut up could in essence be a "group buy", as perhaps could be getting Pietta's rebarreled.
    That way the twist and rifling geometry would be to suit and the barrel lengths would be to one's whimsies.

Another wanta-try-it is having a .36 Pietta 1858 rebored to use .44 molds, like a caseless .44 Special.

Yep thought about goin to .430 also but that means cyl would have to sleeved. I do like the blank idea to.

Yeah, if they sold revolvers with chambers and barrels to shoot .44 molds they pro'bly couldn't build 'em fast enough.

About using the chambers as is and replacing the barrel, sizing soft lead cast .45 molds so as the rear of the boolit slips into the chambers is pretty easy to do.

Boolit Master
    Yep thought about goin to .430 also but that means cyl would have to sleeved. I do like the blank idea to.
    Mike
    if you ream cylinders I reckon its smart to only go as deep as the projectile seats - we took an army colt (repro) out to .464 to match a fat bore - shoots roundball so we didnt need to go very deep - that gun (with full house loads) turned from cylinder bore shotgun patterns to how good can you hold it...............

They are capable of amazing accuracy if things are correct. dad carried one years ago and a rabbit @ 100yds was easy meat

Boolit Master
    I came across some info a while back where someone was testing 4fg and comparing it to the old pistol powder i think it was 25grns behind a conical and it matched the ballistics from ye ole days i might go this route when i burn through this batch then again i dont really trust the pietta steel so im still stuck to the fence. I know if i touch the cyls i wont be goin to 4fg. Just thinkin how to get some more velocity out of a 5.5 bbl.
    The Hazard paper cartridges from the Civil War using their Pistol Powder has 36 grns of 4F pushing a 211 grn conical in .44 cal. The Lyman 1st Edition had pressure/load data using up to a full chamber of 4F Goex both with a ball and a bullet.

Since my guns are hunting tools I have a minimum performance threshold, which is warm .44 Spl or 300+ ft/lbs with a bullet. From what I’ve seen that’s about 25 grns or so. Because we’ve all seen the dismal performance of most 3F powders I won’t use anything but energetic powders as they’re the only ones capable with the powder capacity restrictions. That gives me Olde Eynsford and Triple 7, but one day I’ll likely try Swiss as well. Having something akin to a .45 ACP is nice to have on your hip, though my Ruger, using 35 grns, is akin to a .45 ACP +P. It has a 7.5” barrel and is stainless so it’s not quite as ideal as a sidearm.

If Olde E, T7, and Swiss weren’t available you can bet your hind quarters I’d be using standard Goex 4F. It still doesn’t perform as well as the others but it’s better than sub 300 ft/lb performance.

Boolit Master
    The steel should be more than fine for BP pressures. It’s supposed to be better than what they were dealing with during the Civil War from what I understand.

Here’s the barrel’s dimensions on my 2013 Pietta Sheriff with the ~1:16” twist:

Barrel .441 x .451
    Chamber .448

Boolit Master
    It would be very difficult for me to stop myself from opening that cylinder to .452" or so.

Id like to also but the walls are close to .050 thick. ive seen a 60 colt 3 chambers in the cylinder blown out not pretty. That said it was my uncles who is not the brightest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast