RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading the 44 spl, do I need to work up to the "Skeeter" load?

Boolit Mold

New to reloading the 44 spl, do I need to work up to the "Skeeter" load?

I will be shooting a NM Bisley Blackhawk 44spl.

Is it safe to just load up the skeeter load and shoot? I know it is over SAAMI, but I also know 44 spl SAAMI is rather light for my sixgun in particular. At some point I would be interested in trying the keith load, and since that is at the upper end of what most experts say is the limit, I would of course work up to that. But does one need to do so with the Skeeter load of 7.5 unique under a 255 gr keith?

Thank you in advance for any knowledge passed down.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Follow the published loads to the letter not some 50 year old recipe powders have been reformulated over the years without the pressure equiptment your shooting in the dark. You may not see pressure signs until it's to late
    I don't want to seem argumentative, however I am not talking about some load that I found in grandads ol box of reloading materials. I am talking the most recommended load for 44 spl, even today. It has been loaded over and over again.

Also, all the research I have done points that SAAMI specs for 44 spl are intentionally low due to cheap 100 year old revolvers still on the market, and that there are revolvers that can exceed, as long as it is done mindfully and carefully.

Shaner87, I have a thousand of the 7.5 Unique and H&G 503 loaded in Starline brass. Your revolver will take them just fine. That USED to be my favorite 44 Special load, but when these are gone I will be lowering that load with a lighter bullet and/or lower powder charge. My recoil tolerance has changed and the Skeeter load is more than enough for casual shooting for me. If I remember correctly, that was running over 925fps from my 4 5/8 inch Blackhawks.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

I do have pressure measuring equipment and since there is no night shooting on the range I use I'm not "shooting in the dark".

I have pressure tested Skeeter's 44 SPL load [7.5 gr Unique, both Alliant and Hercules, under several different 240 - 258 gr SWCs including the Lyman 429421 and the RCBS 44-250-K with 10 shot tests of each. The average pressure ranged from 19,000 to 24,700 psi. The psi variation with each bullet was more a result of the bullet seating depth than of the weight of the bullet. The 24,700 psi average was with the Lee 240 SWC seated to and crimped in the first lube groove. The average psi for the Lyman 429421 (258 gr) was 21,000 psi. The psi for the RCBS 44-250-K (255 gr) was 23,000 psi.

Never hurts to start low and work up to any load so whether to work up or just load up some "Skeeters" is up to you. I've not had a single problem with Skeeter's 44 SPL load in any modern made 44 SPL I've shot it in, especially modern made Ruger and Uberti SAs, but that's me. Again the choice is yours.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry;
    Do you remember the velocities you were getting? I remember mine were faster than expected from the short barrel, but I have slept since then. I could very well be wrong. But I don't think any paper target in AL will walk away from a 245 grain(ish) bullet at 900 fps.
    I have not used the Keith load in 44 Special, having seen no reason for it for my purposes.
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 06-13-2020 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Mold
    Thank you to all.

I'll probably load a few lower power rounds to walk it up, but I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking of going ahead with just the skeeters.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I do have pressure measuring equipment and since there is no night shooting on the range I use I'm not "shooting in the dark".

I have pressure tested Skeeter's 44 SPL load [7.5 gr Unique, both Alliant and Hercules, under several different 240 - 258 gr SWCs including the Lyman 429421 and the RCBS 44-250-K with 10 shot tests of each. The average pressure ranged from 19,000 to 24,700 psi. The psi variation with each bullet was more a result of the bullet seating depth than of the weight of the bullet. The 24,700 psi average was with the Lee 240 SWC seated to and crimped in the first lube groove. The average psi for the Lyman 429421 (258 gr) was 21,000 psi. The psi for the RCBS 44-250-K (255 gr) was 23,000 psi.

Never hurts to start low and work up to any load so whether to work up or just load up some "Skeeters" is up to you. I've not had a single problem with Skeeter's 44 SPL load in any modern made 44 SPL I've shot it in, especially modern made Ruger and Uberti SAs, but that's me. Again the choice is yours.
    Have you ever tested the Keith load of 17 gr of 2400?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shaner87 View Post
    Not exactly testing it properly. When I first started hand loading in the early 70’s I put Elmer’s pet load I read in Guns & Ammo in a Charter Arms Bulldog. Due to a rookie mistake I loaded what was then called a Herters Half Jacket not a cast lead bullet. Fortunately I only blew the ejector rod loose, bent the cylinder crane and about a week for my hand to stop hurting. I don’t recall the load other than using 2400.

Back in the 70’s there wasn’t an internet and my only mentor is what I read in gun rags. Not me but a 1970’s shooting bud had some bad experiences loading the tri and duplex loads that were appearing in gun rags. He cracked the cylinder on a Dakota 45 Colt. We weren’t smart enough at the time to know backed primers was a dander signal. I also had a bad experience back then with 38 Super but it turned out to be a misprint in a Speer manual.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now I specifically exclude The Charter Arms Bulldog from this discussion; I have seen two shot into junk status from repeated use of heavy loads, and i would also exclude the 44 Spl Smiths made prior to 1920 and the Spanish copies thereof, but otherwise, if a new, full size, 44 makes its way into my house, it will likely start (and end) with the Skeeter load. I have fired thousands of them and am convinced that a revolver that won't shoot that load, won't shoot period. For lighter loads, I use an NOE wadcutter over 4.5 grains of red dot, but if all I had to shoot in the world was a 44 Special and Skeeter loads, I'd be happy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

If you're young and have good hands, you will still wear out before that particular model of SA will.

I fired several 1,000 of the "Skeeter" Load thru Colt SAA's and a New Frontier w/o a problem. But that was 40yrs ago.
    These days I stick to my old Cowboy Shooting Load. But If I were ever fortunate enough to be able to "Woods Walk" again. the "Skeeter" Load would be my choice.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I have a Rossi model 720. It’s a 5 shot 44 Special. It’s a heavy frame and I’ve run plenty of hot 44 Special loads through it. Been about 5 years since I loaded 44 Specials and best I recall I was loading 44 Specials with a generous helping of HERCO. I’ve also run 10 rds of Buffalo Bore through it without any problems. The Buffalo Bore has a warning on the box not to be used in Charter Arms. Despite the reputation of Rossi revolvers. The quality of the model 720 is on par with a Smith & Wesson.

Just in case you’re interested here’s a short and somewhat amusing YouTube review of the Rossi.
    https://youtu.be/n6Z8mdtP5Cg
    Last edited by azrednek; 06-14-2020 at 04:31 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Now . For lighter loads, I use an NOE wadcutter over 4.5 grains of red dot, but if all I had to shoot in the world was a 44 Special and Skeeter loads, I'd be happy.
    My plinking load is similar. Shooting a home cast, now discontinued Lee button nose wad cutter with 5.0grs of Bullseye. Pleasant load I could shoot all day long without flinching or fatigue. Most my 44 Special shooting the past 4-5 years is with a S&W 24-6 with 6” barrel. The N-frame S&W handles Elmer’s load shooting a hard cast, gas checked 245gr semi-wadcutter with ease. I carried the load confidently on an unsuccessful Javalina hunt.

New to reloading the 44 spl, do I need to work up to the "Skeeter" load?
    I will be shooting a NM Bisley Blackhawk 44spl.
    That load is my go-to with all three of my Ruger Flat Top .44 Specials, (two 4-5/8" and one 5-1/2") and a Smith M24 with 6.5" bbl. I'd recommend reviewing Larry Gibson's post on pressures if you have any questions, though.

Accuracy with that load, through those three guns, has been outstanding with Lyman's 429421 and 429215 GC & 429244 GC sized 0.431". All three of my guns have 0.430"-0.431" throat diameters and one, the SS one, has some thread constriction. The GC's on the latter two bullets preclude leading in the constriction. I use 50-50 lube and cast from ACWW + 1-2% tin as needed for fill out.

If you have a .44 Marlin carbine, I'd recommend 429215 GC at 0.431", which feeds nicely and gives great accuracy without leading. It's my deer bullet as a matter of fact. Skelton's load (7.5 gr of Unique with this 225 gr bullet) when paired with 429215 GC feeds great in the Marlin when put up in Special brass. It's a 950 fps load in my 4-5/8" bbl'd Rugers and I'd estimate 1250 fps from my 20" bbl'd Marlin. I use it for deer inside 75 yds here in KY.

Pic below is the SS Ruger Flat Top .44 Spl, with some home made stocks I did up while sequestered these past two months. YMMv and HTH's Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 06-27-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    Rod

Banned
    For the OP, I think you could start, and in all likelihood, Finish; with the "Skeeter" load in that Balckhawk.

The Blackhawk is more than strong enough. Most modern guns in 44 Special are easily capable of handling the "Skeeter" load (7.5 grs of Unique with a roughly 240-258 grain LSWC). I also agree completely with everything rintinglen wrote in post #9.

Just get a pound of power pistol. 8.0 grains gets Skeeter load performance with standard pressure and great accuracy.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Larry;
    Do you remember the velocities you were getting? I remember mine were faster than expected from the short barrel, but I have slept since then. I could very well be wrong. But I don't think any paper target in AL will walk away from a 245 grain(ish) bullet at 900 fps.
    I have not used the Keith load in 44 Special, having seen no reason for it for my purposes.
    Tony
    Out of several revolvers with 4" or 4 3/4" barrels Skeeter's load with the 252 - 258 gr RCBS or Lyman SWCs ran 850 - 860 fps. With the 240 gr 429360 or commercial cast velocities ran 900 -925 fps.

In 5 1/2 or 6" barrels the velocity of each picked up 20 - 30 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shaner87 View Post
    No, not yet. Some years back, before I was pressure testing, I settled on 16 gr 2400 under either the Lyman or RCBS "Keith" bullet as my "heavy" load for the 44 SPL. Subsequently I've found the measured psi is very acceptable in modern SAs with a velocity of 1000+ fps in 4 - 6" barreled revolvers.

The heavier "Keith" 2400 loads in the 44 SPL were discussed on a recent thread. I will probably conduct a pressure test from 16 to 18.5 gr(?) Alliant 2400 some time soon. I have to generate some WRA 44 SPL brass as all mine is loaded right now. I want to compare the PSI with the thinner WRA cases of the kind Keith probably used vs new Starline cases.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry I am looking forward to hearing how those 2400-44 special loads test . If you have starline brass it would sure be informative to know the difference in pressure with the same charges .
    Thank you for all the great info you share with us .

Boolit Bub
    Most of my .44 spec loads over the years have been the Skeeter Load. I now have some power pistol and will be trying that in 8 gr range, mainly to see if there is an accuracy benefit.

Larry, I too am looking forward to your 2400 test results.

Rodfac, very nice grips. If I may ask what type of wood.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post

The heavier "Keith" 2400 loads in the 44 SPL were discussed on a recent thread. I will probably conduct a pressure test from 16 to 18.5 gr(?) Alliant 2400 some time soon. I have to generate some WRA 44 SPL brass as all mine is loaded right now. I want to compare the PSI with the thinner WRA cases of the kind Keith probably used vs new Starline cases.
    Larry, thinking back trying to rattle my grey matter. I seem to recall reading something in Keith’s column in Guns & Ammo. About him beefing up the 44 Special with the old balloon head brass. Wish I could recall the details but it was something I read in the early 70’s and my memory like the ol’grey mare it ain’t what it used to be.

Just thinking out load on the keyboard. I imagine with the higher capacity in a balloon head cartridge. Elmer’s 44 was likely a S&W with a recessed cylinder. Duplicating his load in today’s S&W revolvers would likely border on dangerous. Probably not a problem in a Ruger.

I also very much appreciate you sharing your results. So in case I miss it, THX in advance.
    Last edited by azrednek; 06-16-2020 at 02:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast