Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Which dies for lead bullets in 25-20?

Which dies for lead bullets in 25-20?

A friend has a nice Win. 92 takedown in 25-20 and is going to start loading for it. I see some selling lead bullets at .260 diameter. So I am guessing 2 die sets won’t flare the case mouth enough for those. Any suggestion for dies? And any suggestion for molds? Thanks ahead of time.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded thousands of rounds of lead bullets with a regular Lee 2 die set (3 I guess if you count the Lee FCD). I do crumple one out of every 100 or so, but I notice that is generally on cases that are nearing the end of their useful lifespan.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Banned

Get an M Die or the Lee universal expander.

That said, I've had great luck with the RCBS Cowboy sets I have, and I think they make them in .25-20.

Thanks. Has anyone tried the Magnus 85 grain FP plain base? It’s states .259 diameter. He will start loading ( I live 700 miles away) with the help of a reloading friend close by. I am guessing plain base to be 1500 FPS or under.

Boolit Man
    I load the .32-20 (same case) with Lyman 'M' dies. I haven't loaded all that many, maybe a couple hundred, but it seems to work well with the Lyman 115 grain cast bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Lyman set for the .25-20 Winchester and IIRC it came with the appropriate M-die. If not I ordered it at the same time.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I use and like the Lyman set with the M die in it. load for a Marlin and a contender with it. mostly shooting the 257420 gc bullet.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    I have to say, re. my 7/8-14 Lyman die set for 25-20WCFthat I had recently bought new:
    The sizing die WAY oversizes the brass- Neck ends up down to 0.247" O.D.
    The M die plug is at .255/.260".(OK for jacketed, but tight for a 0.259 lead bullet) So, That full length size die sizes the OD to smaller than the O.D of the M die plug that expands the cases.!!
    A loaded factory jacketed round with, I presume a 0.258" bullet, the neck dia is up at about 0.272-.276"
    No wonder brass wears out if you are resizing each reload with such a die
    .I had bought the new set of Lyman Dies because I thought that my old set of Tru line Jr dies was
    over sizing the brass. ( sizes to about 0.260 or so). Now, I had to go back to the TLJ die for sizing,
    and using the M die to expand. I am now looking at a bushing die to get Reasonable Neck Sizing for my
    25-20 when I am using fixed seated bullets.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    I own Hornady and Lyman dies for the 25-20. Can't beat the Lyman!

I have hand me downs from hand me downs. Uncle gave my dad Lyman 25/20 dies with a Savage rifle in early 50s. I inherited them from Dad. They have loaded thousands of rds and almost all them are cast from old sc Ideal FN mold. I do size them .259”.

Thanks everyone. The ball is in his court.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago when I worked on the floor in a machine shop I built my own "M" die, used it for a long time with RCBS standard set. Nowadays I use a NOE expander in the Lee Universal expander die instead.

Boolit Buddy

Hi!
    Visit the Marlin Owners forum and search for the thread about loading the 25-20- has over 100 pages of excellent loading info.
    From this info I now use the Redding sizing die, then the Lyman M die to expand the case and the Lyman seater die
    I have several molds including Ideal, Lyman and NOE. I use the NOE 89 g FP the most
    Good luck and Enjoy!
    Jim

For best accuracy I ended up neck sizing.