WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Standard HD Military Questions

Hi-Standard HD Military Questions

I've owned the later High Standards and had great luck with them (Supermatic, Citation, Victor, etc), but never owned an older piece.

Am tempted to bid on an HD Military (marked as such) that's for sale on the web. No inspection privilege.

What, if any, problems typically appear with these and how expensive/difficult are parts and repairs?

Look forward to your comments. I've read a couple of threads here dealing with the HD but might not have found the important ones.

Thanks.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 06-12-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    I own a few different models of HS semi-auto .22's,, including a couple of HD Military's. Having an exposed hammer is an easy way to spot them from a distance. One thing I found is that if you fail to PROPERLY follow the CORRECT disassembly procedure,, you WILL have BIG problems. The takedown lever, if removed w/o the proper procedure,,, causes a lockup. And,, after that,, darn near impossible to get taken apart re-assembled.
    I had one brought to me missing the takedown lever. I learned of all the issues because of that one. It took a LOT to get that gun apart,, and re-assembled. And there are 2 different take down levers. I spent a few years,, trying to find somebody who could help me & such. NOT an easy task.
    I prefer the other models that allow the easy removal of the barrels. But there are 2 HS HD Military's in my stable now,, because of that problem child that was brought to me.

I had one many years ago. It was accurate and reliable. The only issue I had was finding magazines for it.

Boolit Master

Use only sub-sonic ammo in them. They don't like a diet of hi-speed, they were built before that stuff was invented.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

While it is true some HS have a frame cracking issue with HV they are the later removable barrel models. Not sure how many round my dad's now my HD-M has thru it but 75K HV for sure. My guess is closer to 100K with 99.9% HV.

Contender1 is spot on with the disassembly advise.

Some basics on the frame cracking issues here. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t4285-...d-frame-cracks

Manual can be downloaded from here https://histandard.info/

https://histandard.info/manuals/hamp...264D1200VP.pdf

https://histandard.info/manuals/hamp...265D1200VP.pdf

https://histandard.info/manuals/hamp...116D1200HP.pdf

https://histandard.info/manuals/hamp...117D1200HP.pdf

I do recommend that new owners replace the recoil spring with a new recoil spring and then replace the recoil spring every 15,000 rounds.

I have read that the H-D Military model HV ammo is harder on the stop lug at the thin section where the take down lever shaft passes through. Mine shows nothing usually so I will continue to shoot HV in it.

This is a High Standard HB but the major points are the same.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-13-2020 at 01:50 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Had one. New is better. Some parts-https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...hs/hd-military

Vendor Sponsor

M-tecs, that is some good info and I enjoyed the video.
    I have my fathers since 2004. You can guess why. He got it soon after the war. He was on the state's small bore team and must of had a short interest in handgun. Growing up, it was always around but almost never shot and is still close to like new condition. By the time it came to me, non use and time gummed it. I quickly found out I did not know enough to take it down and clean it. It is now at a friends who in the last few years took a liking to them and knows how to go through them and adjust the lips on the magazine for feeding. I will pick it up this summer when we meet up for the championship matches in Raton. It will be fun to shoot it and remember dad.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    While shooting any 22 with SV ammo is probably a good thing from an accuracy as well as a wear and tear issue, if the slide says “High Standard HD Military” and it has the thumb safety, it is a commercial gun built after WW II, and long after the advent of HV ammo. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they did a quarter million round endurance test on one back in the fifties and it came through without a hitch.

I should note that I used to collect the “Letter Series” High Standards, and of course had many HD-Ms pass through my hands. The only real problems any of them seemed to have came from improper attempts to disassemble them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I have a 4” HD-Mil for over 50yrs, thousands of HVs through it and I don’t know how many before I got it. I’ve had several other 4” guns and a 63/4” that I still have too. Parts are not easy but can be found, fast if you want to pay horrible prices. Same with all Hi-STDs. No big deal to take them apart and fairly easy if you know what you are doing. I’ve got a nice frame/ 4” that I found looking for parts. $40, I’ll have another $200 in getting it together.

Boolit Master
    I had an HD military that cracked the piece that the slide hits on recoil; the piece that pivots down to remove the slide. I have no idea how much it was shot before I bought it, but I put quite a bit of HV long rifle through it. Fortunately repair parts were readily available when I needed them in the 1970s so I was able to replace the broken part. I don't use HV in it any more.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one. Didn’t see the allure of it and passed it down the road. I did try to find magazines for it and had a hard time doing so

Boolit Grand Master

For me the allure is it was the first handgun I fired at 4 or 5 years old. It was and still is dads. He is still going strong at 97 but his HD military has lived with me for the pasted 20 years. I know I've put 75K through it.

The claim that High Standards predated high velocity ammo is not correct since the A's were introduced in 1932. https://dailycaller.com/2018/01/05/c...-h-d-military/

Remington introduced high-velocity type 22LR in 1930. High Standard introduced the H-D in 1940. https://www.guns.com/news/2013/02/21...one-dirt-cheap

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/kn...-22-long-rifle

At one time, the .22 Long Rifle was available in black-powder, semi-smokeless, and smokeless powder loads. Remington introduced the first high-velocity type, in 1930. The 40-grain solid and 36- and 38-grain hollowpoint bullet have been available for many years.

My holy grail gun is an High Standard HDM https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-standard-hdm/

If I find a rat at a descent price I will do the paperwork and build a legal one.

Francis Gary Powers had one when he was shot down. His daughter was my recruiter and I was her first recruit.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-15-2020 at 03:50 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Magazines are the main issue. If you tweak mags should run any ammo.

In supressed versions run only Eley or RWS subsonic or CCI Geen Tag.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 8 original mags. I don't know if these are any good or gunk but aftermarket mags are available. https://www.gunclips.net/histsugunma.html

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For me the allure is it was the first handgun I fired at 4 or 5 years old. It was and still is dads. He is still going strong at 97 but his HD military has lived with me for the pasted 20 years. I know I've put 75K through it.

The claim that High Standards predated high velocity ammo is not correct since the A's were introduced in 1932. https://dailycaller.com/2018/01/05/c...-h-d-military/

Remington introduced high-velocity type 22LR in 1930. High Standard introduced the H-D in 1940. https://www.guns.com/news/2013/02/21...one-dirt-cheap

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/kn...-22-long-rifle

At one time, the .22 Long Rifle was available in black-powder, semi-smokeless, and smokeless powder loads. Remington introduced the first high-velocity type, in 1930. The 40-grain solid and 36- and 38-grain hollowpoint bullet have been available for many years.

My holy grail gun is an High Standard HDM https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-standard-hdm/

If I find a rat at a descent price I will do the paperwork and build a legal one.

Francis Gary Powers had one when he was shot down. His daughter was my recruiter and I was her first recruit.
    While High Standard pistols actually came along about the same time as High Speed 22 LR ammo, I’m more comfortable wit SV in pre-War examples. In my previous post, I was referring to the post-War Guns only.

First, let me mention there are three distinct versions of the HD. The first, made the last couple of years before WW II is marked just Model HD and is quickly identified by the lack of a thumb safety. During the war, HS was contracted by the military to modify their design by adding a thumb safety... they are not HD Militaries though, they are marked HD-USA. This was the model that also came silenced and was popular for OSS and later CIA use, including the famous Gary Powers gun, and on up until use until the Vietnam Nam war until development of the S&W “Hushpuppy” based on the Model 39.

After WW II, when returning Americans had a desire for all kinds of firearms, High Standard simply made a new roll stamp for HD Military markings and sold about a quarter million of the same gun they developed for the military, following Colt’s marketing idea to use “Government Model” on their civilian 1911s. This was the third and most popular Model HD, and the one most frequently encountered. I sold almost all of my spare parts collection about 25+ years ago, so I can’t speak to parts availability, but once agin, the HD-M almost never breaks if the shooter isn’t named Bubba.

Just to flesh things out, prior to the war, there were Models B & C on short grip frames and A, D, and E with longer grips and adjustable sights. Hammer models were HA, HD, HE and the short framed HB with all but the HB having adjustable sights and all lacking a thumb safety. During the war, only the essentially unchanged Model B (marked B-USA) and the HD-USA were made for the military. After the war they resurrected the Model B, introduced the HD-M, and developed an improved Model HB with the thumb safety added.

And there you have it, a distilled history of the early High Standards. Are you confused yet?

Froggie

PS The Model C fired 22 short, and as far as I’ve seen there was never a Model HC.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-15-2020 at 11:53 AM. Reason: More thoughts and corrections

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I am assuming your second paragraph refers to my previous pronouncement, your own third paragraph seems to contradict your statement. If you will reread my post, I was quite specific in describing the relationship of late (post-War) letter Model High Standards to use of then common high velocity 22 LR ammo.
    I didn't misread YOUR comments nor was it directed at you. You assumed wrong. Specifically my comment was directed at the information in post #4. As you are aware that is one of the myths that never dies on most HS threads.

Paragraph #2 was improperly worded attempt to point out High Standard did not start producing this type of pistol until 1932.

I do wish I had your experience with the HD-M's . Pictures are as close as I have come to one.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-15-2020 at 01:00 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry M-Tecs, I had read your post too fast and got the meaning completely wrong... mea culpa! I already corrected my post as soon as I saw what I had done. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Yes, the old High Standards are a fun topic to dive into, and have gone from the shadows where they were when I started collecting them back in the ‘70s, to a downright respectable status. A couple of good collector books will have that kind of effect on the market!

The various HD models do make a great possible collecting subset all by themselves. The most fascinating I encountered were the silenced HD-USA (I once owned a demilled barrel and can for one) and the even more elusive target upgrade that High Standard did for the Navy (IIRC) by fitting a very heavy bull barrel and the late style adjustable sight to a few examples of the HD-USA. GPC had a few of those barrels and I even was able to build a copy of that nearly unknown gun... I wish I’d kept that one!

Again, sorry I let my typing get ahead of my reading comprehension... I can only blame it on insufficient caffeine.

Best regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    More HS info: Prior to the development of the external hammer models High Standard had an earlier takedown design inherited from Hartford Arms, whose designs, equipment, and assets they purchased, and especially the first (referred to by collectors as the “Type 1-A Takedown”) was subject to breakage. These variants are readily identifiable by the small round rod whose end projects slightly from the rear of the slide. Next came a beefed-up version (“1-B”) with a sort of squared off, enlarged projection. Either of these is more delicate than the later, “Type 2” style And probably should be limited to SV ammo... the design dates back to about 1925. I realize this is a little bit of thread drift, but it may explain some of the misconceptions about ammo for early High Standards.

Froggie

My 4” was found in bottom of dufflebag with 16mags and one in the pistol. No govt markings, it’s HD-Mil. It came from USMC who inherited it from another who rotated out. I don’t know where it originally came from. I saw several HI STD pistols but never govt marked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast