Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Brass Smith All-American 8-Station Turret Press.

Boolit Master

Lyman Brass Smith All-American 8-Station Turret Press.

Im so impressed with my new Lyman powder throw. Im thinking about up grading to a Lyman press. I could have 4 rifle die sets already to go with it, Anyone here have one? How do you like it?

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-...8-turret-press
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Lyman 8 Station Turret Press

The press itself is absolutely fantastic, it has great leverage and a very good design (much better than there previous turrets). It does not cam-over like their older models which is a major improvement. It is a large and heavy press that takes up some additional real estate on your bench, the turret rotates effortlessly and aligns perfectly. That's the good stuff.......now for the bad.....the priming assembly to me is useless, it is not consistent, and fails to feed primers correctly. I spent a lot of time polishing and aligning the feed assembly and at very best it is marginal. Since this pic, I have removed the priming assembly.

If you want a good turret press and do off-press priming, this is an excellent choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0052.jpg  

I don't have any experience with the Lyman presses. My two turret presses for metallic cartridges are the Redding T-7 and the Ponsness-Warren 200. The test of a turret press is how much the turret flexes at the top of the stroke when it's at it's heaviest work load. This doesn't matter a lot for pistol cartridges but if there is any flex at all it can be a problem with rifle rounds. Looks to be a nice press. Let us know if you purchase one and your thoughts on how it works for you. Gp

Boolit Master

Im on stock alert from midway for it to come in.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m still using its spiritual ancestor, the old red four station All American, and if I were twenty years younger, I’d have my name on the list for this eight-banger. It looks like it’s got all the beef needed for all but the most extreme sizing and forming operations... something no turret could handle. Enjoy your new acquisition.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Yeah i think it will be sweet for sizing the 30 cal cases. One thing that surprised me with one of my lee c shape preses. I had a stuck 30/30 case. And i thought it would brake muscleing it out. Well i ripped it off the bench. The lag bolts pulled up through the 2x10. Lyman die. At least the lee dies are set up where you can use a case removal tool.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

Ordered it finally. And they are on sale too.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101962214?pid=757540
    One round at a time.

Banned
    I got 3 turrets to go with mine, 2 common rifle calibers per turret.

The first 2 presses I got had paint damage and the third one the turret head bushing was too tall and the head flexed. Contacted Lyman and they sent me a new bushing. All is good now

Haven't used the primer seating function (I prefer to do this off the press) but for recapping primers it tends to send primers onto the floor (put a can under the press)

Boolit Master

Yeah i have a bunch of turrets for my lee. I have each pistol caliber i load on it's own turret. And my .223 dies. I can see me picking up a spare turret for the Lyman.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

It's out for delivery today. Im looking forward to trying out.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    It's out for delivery today. Im looking forward to trying out.
    I think you will enjoy your new press. As turrets go, it's a heavy duty unit that should be quite accurate.

Froggie

Boolit Master

It came. I have it mounted and ready to go. It's a monster lol. I think it weighs more than all my lee's put together. No flex in the turret and no play in the ram. I think your right froggie. Im going to love it. I have 3 sets of rifle dies in it. Gonna be hot tomorrow. So good day to load.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Those are sure some nice looking presses , enjoy!

Boolit Grand Master
    With this press and their new powder measure and a few other products, this may be an indication that Lyman is making a conscientious effort to regain some of the leadership they once enjoyed in the reloading industry. This could be a very good thing!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    lets just hope Lyman quality improves, they produced a lot of inferior products in the 90's and early 2000's lots of undersize moulds, they started making the beam scale bases out of plastic, the sights sure are not what they used to be, but my orange tmag and all American chromed dies, powered and manual trimmers all still work perfect. seems that they have been going through some serious changes in past few years, lots of new products that look real good.

Boolit Master

Im having a tough time with the priming system. I have to push the primer in the ram cup. Then it gets hung up on the way out. I'll mess with it tomorrow. Going to hot to do much outside. I did resize some 7.65 mauser brass today on it.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Im having a tough time with the priming system. I have to push the primer in the ram cup. Then it gets hung up on the way out. I'll mess with it tomorrow. Going to hot to do much outside. I did resize some 7.65 mauser brass today on it.
    One of the things I do on every press I get is to chamfer the inside corner of the primer cups just enough to take the hard corner off the inside so the primers will drop in easy and make sure it moves smoothly on the ram. I use sandpaper.
    Seems to help them run smoother.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have wanted to upgrade to a heavier press and I keep going back to this one - looks like it would really be the little huckleberry! I prime off press so wouldn't be using that feature. Unfortunately due to what's been going on, I'm guessing it will be awhile before production catches up with demand. I checked on Titan the other day when I ordered a few things and they show them as out of stock also.

Boolit Master

I figured out the priming system last night. You have to keep pushing down until the priming arm starts going out. I think it's because of it being spring loaded under the cup.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

I loaded some 30.06 and 7.65x53 today. Resizing was a breeze. Very precise in maintaining COAL. I used to do rifle on a single stage. That worked well too. No flex in the turret with the Lyman. The priming system is working well too now.
    One round at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast