Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Echo Chainsaws?

Banned

Echo Chainsaws?

The little craftsman chain saw I've had for about 20 years needs to be worked on again to get it going, the poor little thing just doesn't get run often enough and seems like I have to go through this when I need it. I live on a bigger place in the woods now than when I bought it, and it's just a matter of time until I really need one, so it's really time to upgrade anyway.

The guy who works on small engines around here, who I have no reason to doubt, but just wanted to look into it, recommended the Echo line and the local Orscheln's in town carries them. The biggest one they have is about $400, which isn't really a problem, I'd prefer to spend a little more and get more saw than I really need rather than not enough.

Can anybody comment on these with regards to reliability and performance? Parts availability, etc.?

Anything will work if its taken care of.

A had a badboy Stihl for years, and traded it off to the tree trimmer guys when I decided I wasn't
    going up into trees on a ladder any more.

But, if I needed a decent size chain saw, I'd sure get another medium size Stihl.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Cast Hunter

When my Poulan went belly up, I went chainsaw shopping. There is a limited selection in my area, so I can’t get just any brand. I looked hard at online reviews and Echo had the best by far (again, of what was available locally). I bought an 18” Echo and am very pleased with it. Been using it for a couple years and would definitely recommend the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

2 of my brothers have owned echo chainsaws , they were both good saws.

Boolit Master

I've had an Echo saw for about 3 1/2 years now. It gets nothing but the premixed 50-1 fuel. For as little as I use it is well worth the cost of a gallon. The saw starts every time I want to use it even after sitting for months. I only have a small 14" model but it does all I need and I would recommend them to anyone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I've had an Echo saw for about 3 1/2 years now. It gets nothing but the premixed 50-1 fuel. For as little as I use it is well worth the cost of a gallon. The saw starts every time I want to use it even after sitting for months. I only have a small 14" model but it does all I need and I would recommend them to anyone.
    I will be using only that pre-mixed fuel from now on. I hate two cycle motors, but you really don't have a choice with chain saws. I have a clearing task I'm gonna need one for and bottom line is, I really need to have one around here, if a tree fell across our drive way, I'd be walking to town to get one.

Gonna go back to Orscheln's and buy that biggest one, should be all the saw I'll ever need and then some.

Heard only good things about Echo, but only owned a string stringer. For chainsaws I prefer Stihl and Husky.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I really love a straight shaft trimmer with a circular saw blade for small clearing projects. Small is defined as not worth renting a mini excavator or dozer.

I have the echo cs 400 saw and it has been a great saw. Also have echo backpack blower and string trimmer....so yes I'd recommend echo.

Boolit Buddy

I had an echo saw many years ago(when I was allowed to use a chainsaw). It always worked well for me. Just cutting winter wood, not pro or commercial use.
    FWIW

Boolit Master

i have an echo top handle saw to compliment my stihl 310.

i prefer the starting 'sequence' of the stihl, but the echo is a dandy limbing/sapling saw.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I will be using only that pre-mixed fuel from now on. I hate two cycle motors, but you really don't have a choice with chain saws. I have a clearing task I'm gonna need one for and bottom line is, I really need to have one around here, if a tree fell across our drive way, I'd be walking to town to get one.

Gonna go back to Orscheln's and buy that biggest one, should be all the saw I'll ever need and then some.
    Orsheln's runs discounts on Echo chainsaws from time to time. If you can wait, watch their weekly ads and save some money. Also, if you're old enough, Wednesday is Geezer Day and you can get another 5% off.

Banned
    I had a John Deere chainsaw that was nothing more than a re-branded Echo with a yellow case. That was an outstanding saw right up until I drove a truck over it

I cut a lot of firewood with that Echo.

After I unintentionally killed it, I replaced it with a couple of Stihl saws. If I was in the market, I would choose a Stihl but I can't really say anything bad about that old Echo.

Boolit Master
    Echo is my second choice after a pro grade Stihl if money isn't an issue, first choice if it is.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
    Orsheln's runs discounts on Echo chainsaws from time to time. If you can wait, watch their weekly ads and save some money. Also, if you're old enough, Wednesday is Geezer Day and you can get another 5% off.
    Good point and I can probably wait a while. Orscheln's is great, and the one in Junction City is actually the best one I've ever been in, even ones in much bigger towns.

Boolit Grand Master

Trust your local mechanic. What ever he likes buy - he will be the one to repair it. For me the Stihl dealer is the closest so that is what I have.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

I've been using Echo chainsaws for 44 years! Everything from a 14 inch bar up to a 36 inch. All have been excellent!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Trust your local mechanic. What ever he likes buy - he will be the one to repair it. For me the Stihl dealer is the closest so that is what I have.
    The fault in this is mechanics like what breaks. How else do they make money.

Boolit Buddy
    I live in the woods. The only saw I will own is a forestry grade Husqvarna. I tried all the rest when forestry was my job, and nothing else is close. I cannot stand the vibration of a cheap consumer grade saw, as old as I am now my hands would lock up in just a few minutes. I am going to buy a new 550XP soon, the Husky I've had for 20 years still makes power like new, but my son is old enough to use it now, so he can have it. For $605, they are worth every penny. The old saw has been run on 100LL avgas and Husqvarna oil it's whole life, and has a lot of life left yet.

Boolit Master
    My last saw wore out. I went to Lowes and bought the best brand I have used over 40 years. Husqvarna. I just cut dead wood, for our camp fires now. With the 10% discount for veterans I paid $220. Get one!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast