Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Echo Chainsaws?

Boolit Grand Master

Battery powered saws - yes he can keep up now, but will he in five years?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Have you ever worked with one of those? When dry hard enough to bend nails. You will probably need two guys, one simply to sharpen chains!
    A little. We cut up the limbs when we felled the tree in that ravine but the trunk is still down there. My friend heats with wood and wants that trunk because black locust has very high BTU's per cord. I didn't notice it being all that hard to cut but I do keep the chain sharp. I was too busy dodging those thorns.

Boolit Master

You may want to get a saw that uses the same bar and chain you now use if you have a pile around. After about 30 years of 25 face per years, my 041 shook apart. The authorized repair guy botched the fix. I bought a new Stilh. Even though it is a 20 inch, it will not use my old chains, of which I have 20 or so; and bars. And they make a model that will. I suggest you buy what can be fixed local, just in case. I always mix my own fuel, 5 gallons at a time and mix to the 1/100 gallon on gas. Never had any trouble with it starting on 1 or 2 pulls, unless it got left out in the rain. Echo ans Husky have good reps, but the loggers and tree guys around here all use Stilh.

Boolit Grand Master

Owned several saws. Got over 20yrs out of a Husky cutting 8 cords of hardwood like maple and beech a year. Last 2 have both been Jonsered Pro saws. Power to weight in the 50cc size I don't think you can beat them.

As for fuel. Buy non ethanol if you can but I always use stabil 360. If I store them I pull the plug and squirt a little oil in, pull a few times and hand tighten the plug.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Stihl is still the new kid on the block compared to homelite or mac. i had a 790 mac that i would put up against any stihl or husky. It was slower in the small stuff but bigger stuff couldnt dog it for nothin and dont get me started on the sp125 mac woowee
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

It's hard to go wrong with any of the decent models of the "orange" saws.

I look at what the pros around me use. They're mostly Echo or Stihl, with a few on Husqvarna.

I got tired of fighting with garbage brands and got some Echo stuff to use. I have a 58v weed whacker and a 58v chainsaw. I don't use the chainsaw much, really just after storms. Not having a carb to gum up is great for me. But the 58v powerhead won't run the edger or pole saw according to Echo, so I also have a gas power head for those.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
    A little. We cut up the limbs when we felled the tree in that ravine but the trunk is still down there. My friend heats with wood and wants that trunk because black locust has very high BTU's per cord. I didn't notice it being all that hard to cut but I do keep the chain sharp. I was too busy dodging those thorns.
    It cuts fine when it's green - hint, hint! We used it for fence posts and could not drive a staple in it when it was dry.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    You may want to get a saw that uses the same bar and chain you now use if you have a pile around. After about 30 years of 25 face per years, my 041 shook apart.
    The 041 is the only Stihl I would not recommend although they haven't been made for over 30 years. It's the only Stihl I've seen with the cylinder in line with the bar and it will vibrate itself apart. I was running one when the carburetor came loose. The engine was hot, running lean and shutting off the ignition would not stop the saw. It was well past 10,000 RPM when I buried the bar in a log to stop it. Fond memories LOL.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

All the stihls of that generation had pistons that ran front to back , owned a stihl 041 super for 20 some years was still running when I gave it to a guy to use as parts for his 041 , ran it hard felling and bucking smaller trees , used it topping and other tree work , used the stihl 051 and 075 for bigger trees .

I ran ECHO's for a long time then a skidloader did a gravity check on my timber wolf and I picked up a super cheapo saw at Home Depot (BlueMax) just to get me by for the remaining cleanup on the job I was doing. 2 years later, 30 long cord later, its still working fine, 22" bar needs to be replaced now but have not ruined any of the 3 chains I have for it. Starts after pulling the choke and giving it a pull to prime then push the choke in and pull, starts every time. The timber puppy was a 20", the extra 2" has really made a difference bringing big trees down, I would have to go to a 24" ECHO to be happy but that sucker will run X3 what the BlueMax did!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had amny saws over the years.
    Different brands.
    Some were better than others.
    With the ethnol in the gas, saws are not liking it.
    Went to help a friend dig a stump up.
    We had to cut it up a little, and I didn't bring my saw.
    All he had was a plug in electric.
    First time I've used one.
    Never thought they were any good.
    It worked great.
    I now only use a plug in electric saw.
    No more mixing gas.
    Pull, pull, pull.......
    Very quiet.
    Cord is not that big of an issue for me.
    I had two but another friend borrowed one, and three years later, he still has it.

Boolit Master
    Olde man GONRA's happy with my (Girly Start) Stihl and Canned Fuel for those Rare Use Occasions without screwing up all the 2 cycle stuff...

Boolit Master
    Just needed a chain saw for storm cutting and minor spring trimming. Bought a Poulan and maybe got 2 years use of it. I remember taking it to repair once that cost nearly the full purchase price. Just ditched it and bought a smaller Stihl and it has worked every pull. After the poulan drop I decided to use specific fuel instead of the gas pump. It does seem to make a big difference in mower, weed eater and tillers.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123