Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 45 ACP taper crimp die used on 45 Colt?

Boolit Master

45 ACP taper crimp die used on 45 Colt?

45 Colt max case length is 1.285”
    45 ACP max case length is 0.898”
    The difference is .387”

Would using a 45 ACP taper crimp die work to apply a tapper crimp to a 45 Colt case if I keep the die body raised up off the shell holder a minimum of .387” which would probably be the maximum amount of crimp. Raised up more, say .407” and slowly move it down to the desired amount of crimp as measured across the case mouth with calipers.

Would this work?

I don’t want to buy a 45 Colt taper crimp die just to test a few dozen cartridges.
    If the test works and Flat nose plated 45 ACP bullets work in my Win M73 and revolvers I would buy the proper length taper crimp die for 45 Colt.

Boolit Bub
    As long as your bullets are all same dia. I don't think you'll have a problem. I use a Redding spacing ring when going between .38sp. and .357. If you bullets are sized .452 for both, but some are sized .455 or .458, I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Works fine, I do it all the time.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If your .45 Colt is a modern revolver or rifle which prefers bullets of .452" diameter, this will work fine. In older revolvers which perform best with .454-.455" bullets a heavy taper crimp may damage the bullets and impair accuracy. I prefer the Redding Profile Crimp die for my Colt New Service and Single-Action Army revolvers, and H&R single-shot rifle, for which I load .455" bullets.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Works fine, I do it all the time.
    As do I. Works perfectly.

Boolit Grand Master

Just adjust the die for the 45 Colt. Hint; back the die way off. Insert an empty 45 Colt case in the press and raise the ram. Screw the die down until you feel it touch the case. Lower the case and screw the die down until you get the crimp you want. No need for measuring or using spacers, it is very easy just to adjust this way by feel. I occasionally still use this method when taper crimping. Easy to see/check how much crimp is applied.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone for for your replies.
    My revolvers are 2-3 years old Ruger New Vaqueros.
    I want to try using both plated and cast TC profile bullets that are designed for 45 ACP.
    The bullets don’t have a cannelure so I wanted to crimp in the 45 Colt case as though it was a 45 ACP case.
    For crimping 45 Colt bullets in 45 Colt cases if the bullets have a cannelure or crimp groove I apply a regular roll crimp or use my Redding Profile crimp die.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I load 45 Colt with a hodge lodge of different brand dies - until I came by a Lyman DA seating/roll crimp die (I use it for roll crimp only) all I used was a 45ACP taper crimp - works just fine and I have never had an issue with it in my Uberti Cattleman. For a rifle, I'd prefer a roll crimp.

Boolit Master
    Get a proper mold for .45 LC, one with a crimp groove and roll crimp with std. seating dies, as God intended. The taper crimp will prolly slip with heavy loads, use the right thing or you could get over loads because boolit slips deeper into case.

Boolit Grand Master

Before I got a mold and while I was waiting for some "regular" 45 Colt bullets to arrive, I used some of my cast 45 ACP bullets and they worked well. I had some 225 gr LRN. some 230 gr TC and some 200 gr SWC my cast bullets. I loaded them on the light side and none of the bullets "walked". But, yes, the best bet to use the "proper" revolver bullets and roll crimp them...
    Last edited by mdi; 06-13-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I have many “proper” 45 Colt molds, bullets both cast and commercial plated all with a lube groove or copper plated with a cannelure. The exercise was to find out if a plated TC bullet designed for 45 ACP and a cast LEE 452-230-TC could be made to work (in an zombie commie apocalypse) with out having the correct bullet or crimp die to fit a 45 Colt cartridge.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Get a proper mold for .45 LC, one with a crimp groove and roll crimp with std. seating dies, as God intended. The taper crimp will prolly slip with heavy loads, use the right thing or you could get over loads because boolit slips deeper into case.
    Actually, I think you may have that backward. This is a revolver and the bullets would slip forward under recoil if the crimp was insufficient and recoil was heavy, at least I think that's how it works.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Bub
    I believe that my Dillon dies are set up for taper crimp instead of a roll crimp. As has been said before, as long as the bullets are modern diameter451, 452, then you’re good to go. If it older colt454, 455, I don’t know that I’d go with a 45 acp tc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Roll crimping is for rimmed cases with heavy recoiling loads, meaning large revolvers loaded hot with heavy bullets. Crimping is to prevent the bullets from pulling out under recoil and locking the cylinder; all bullets intended for such heavy use will have a crimping groove. There is no driving force applied to the nose of revolver bullets so, crimped or not, there is no real danger of them being pushed deeper.

"Taper" crimpers are specifically made for light recoiling rimless cartridges that headspace on the mouth and are commonly loaded with modest to light bullets.

Bullets in magazine fed handgun cartridges aren't likely to be driven deeper, nor are they likely to be pulled by, recoil. Thus, the real purpose of an autoloader taper crimp die isn't to "crimp", as such, but to remove the mouth flare without going too far and messing up the headspacing.

Everyone can and should play with their own ammo as they wish but putting a taper crimp on a large, heavy revolver load is fanning the breeze, you may as well skip it. In fact, I know of no one that makes a taper crimp die for heavy recoiling revolver cartridges, there's really no point in it. (But I don't know about everything that's out there, some maker may happily provide one for sell to hopeful experimenters who want to try it.)

Boolit Master
    Years ago shooting hard cast commercial .45 boolits I had to give them a pretty good taper crimp in order for them to chamber in my match grade 1911. No problem to do it and got good accuracy and no leading. Was using a square deal b.