Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alox 350 has been Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Alox was a rust preventative that was sprayed to coat the bare steel so it would not rust. It was also used as a undercoating on cars.
    Ziebart and Rusty Jones, both long gone, offered it. The Ziebart stuff smelled the same as the stuff we use, but was a lighter color.

Banned

We applied it at the Body shop supply warehouse I worked at. I don't remember what it was called. But it was very thick and was sprayed on. We had to cut it with mineral spirits in the colder months so it would work in the guns we used. It came in 55 gal barrels. I hated it and it stunk the whole shop up for days after it was used.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I just got an email from the sales dept. at Luberizol.
    Alox 350 has been deemed obsolete and is no longer for sale effective immediately.
    They do not have a replacement.
    I still have some on hand that I can work with. I am going to see if they have any in stock that can still be ordered, but the email sounded pretty final.
    I know a bunch of you guys still use and like 50-50, I will see if I can come up with some replacement.

FWIW
    Glenn.
    If you can get hold of a Safety Data Sheet they usually give ingredients and approximate proportions. Might help you find a good replacement.

Bill

Lubrizol -Berkshire Hathaway CEO -Everytown for Gun Safety

Could Lubrizol* be antigun? Discontinued because they know what its used for?

They still make it , but they changed the name of Alox & lied?

Since 2011, Lubrizol has been a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway.

The Berkshire Hathaway Chairman and CEO , Warren Buffett sits on the advisory board of Bloomberg’s organization Everytown for Gun Safety. https://everytown.org/who-we-are/

Google info.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 07-02-2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spelling* ??

Boolit Master

I’m down for some reasonable conspiracy theories 243 but that just doesn’t shake out bud. Not attacking you just saying as boolit casters we make up a very minor percentage of the shooting public. Not even enough to be a thought by any anti-gun group. To them all bullets are lead. Probably just better products on the market and this one is outdated so it was replaced.
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 07-03-2020 at 02:06 AM.
    90% professional 10% mature

Banned

Just need to find someone that works in a metal mill. Find out what they are using to spray on the steel so it does not rust.

Banned

I just remembered I have a friend that sells industrial supplies to all the mills all over the country. I just sent him a message and I will see what he says.

I want Alox 2138F back. It made a nice lube star on my guns muzzle. Alox 350 never did.

Conspiracy- Your right. They would go after lead first. As some have already.

Boolit Master

t seems like everytime any mention of Alox in reference to bullet lube, that any and all Alox is lumped under "Alox". The two products that have been used as lube in sizers are Alox 2138f and Alox 350. Lar45 explained it well in his posts.

The Alox product used for tumble lube is Alox 606-55, which is the rust preventive. I think some have used other Alox products as tumble lube. I don't know what results they had.

I recently sold the remains of a 5 gallon bucket of each that I had. I kept a large jar of each, which should last me for the rest of my shooting/casting life. I for one hope that Lar45 finds a suitable replacement for Alox 350 because there are apparently many, including me, that like the NRA 50/50 lube. The jars of Alox 606-55 that I sold should make enough 45-45-10 to lube multi-thousands of boolits.

I doubt that either Alox or Warren Buffet were/are concerned that we casters used the products on our bullets. As a side note, I still have about a quart of Alox 2138f that I bought from GAR when they went out of business.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    I want Alox 2138F back. It made a nice lube star on my guns muzzle. Alox 350 never did.

Conspiracy- Your right. They would go after lead first. As some have already.
    Yeah!! I'm so lucky, I live in the Peepels Reepublik of Nuu Jork where they banned lead wheelweights a decade ago to protect us from lead poisoning! I still can't believe these liberal schmucks haven't outlawed the possession of lead by us lowly servants!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I still can't believe these liberal schmucks haven't outlawed the possession of lead by us lowly servants!
    If they do I suggest you give it to them 55-500 grains at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to complain that my stock was Alox 350 and not Alox 2138. Guess that's not a bad thing now. I think I have a quart of 350.

Tectyl 506. It's supposed to be milspec. It smells the same as alox. It has a polarized molecule which I suppose makes it stick to sliding surfaces, making it a good lubricant.

Tectyl 506 is a preventative compound for rust prone surfaces providing protection against the damaging effects of moisture, chloride and corrosion. Cures to a dark amber coloured, waxy, transparent, firm film.
    I can only get it in aerosol form.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-04-2020 at 08:01 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Banners, Don't give 'em any ideas!

There has to be tons of alox out there.or even complete lube.

Boolit Bub
    We used to use LPS2 for a liquid rust protectant, and LPS3 was a light spray wax film. There was another one we used but hated-left a heavy white film of wax that was very slick and damn dangerous for heavy steel stuff-they would slide out of the pallet banding if you didn't strap them perfectly!

EDIT:

The other spray was CRC SP-400 Corrosion Inhibitor. It's made for long term die storage outdoors. Cleans up "OK" and dries to a light waxy film, but can't say if it smells like ALOX or not.

Boolit Master

I have a container of a product called "Rusfre 1000-1 clear rust proofing". Made by a company called 3B Products out of New Kensington, PA. Bought it back in the mid '90's to spray on my pickup back then. It's thickened now to the consistency of Vaseline, and about the same color. I've tried to get ahold of the company for info, but they must be out of business. Often wondered if it might be similar to Alox. Anybody got a clue???

Banner Sponsor

I had a meeting with a couple of the fine folks at Luberizol,
    They were very helpful and friendly, And...
    They have a different Alox product that is somewhat similar.
    They are sending a sample so I can make several small test batches to see how it works compared to the Alox 350.
    Once I have it all mixed and tested, I'll post the results.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the update, Lars. In the meanwhile, I'm buying up whatever 50/50 I can find cheap and saving my pennies for a lube pump heater to use your Carnauba Red whenever appropriate. You can thank Dale53 for turning me on to what I call "Panama Red" just to yank his chain.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Any update?

Banner Sponsor

Well, it seems like they are still running a skeleton crew in some areas due to Covid concerns...

I did just barely get the sample in a couple of days ago.
    This new Alox seems to be very similar, but with a slightly higher melt point.
    I use Alox 350 in 4 of my lubes. So I will have to make 4 small batches and then lube boolits and shoot them to see how they perform next to the original recipe.

I still have enough Alox 350 to last maybe 4 months.
    I will give you guys an update as the testing progresses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast