Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Remington model 722 ejection problem

Boolit Master

Remington model 722 ejection problem

I just discovered something today I thought I should pass on.
    My Rem 722 would not eject the cases properly. Extraction was not a problem, but ejecting the case was.
    I first cleaned the bolt face and made sure the spring for the ejection plunger was not stuck of broken. Then I looked at the position of the little circular ejection clip which is in a recess along the inside of the bolt face along the rim. The clip looked in good condition. I had noticed that the case were being ejected NOT toward the open side of the receiver, but more in an upward direction, which was wrong. It occurred to me that perhaps the ejection clip was in the wrong position relative to the open side of the receiver. I took a nail and without removing the clip, slid it around to a different position. Problem solved; the cases are now ejected toward to the open side of the receiver.
    The problem was not the clip, or the spring, but the POSITION of the clip.

ATR
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Did the rivet break off that anchors the extractor in place?

Boolit Master

this model had NO rivets

Boolit Master

Well done
    This is an old secret, but as the new generation takes its place
    old lessons are forgotten
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

OK, then the extractor has to be positioned correctly.

Can you easily slide the extractor now or did it snap back into place? It shouldn't slide around at all. I would love to have a 722 in .244 Remington. I had a 721 30-06 and I loved that plain rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    it should not move . see if it snaps back in to right place . if not send back the bolt to rem they will replace free .

Boolit Master

I don't think I would send anything back to a manufacturer today.

Sent My 45yr old Weatherby Vanguard back for a bolt fix per recall. Came back with the bolt guide "buggered" up.

Sent my Ruger "new" Vaquero back because cases were binding on the recoil shield. Came back with a pair of cheap plastic grips instead of the nice wood grips that were on it when I bought it brand new.
    Called Ruger C.S. was told I could BUY a set of wood grips for $45.00 plus S&H.

Sent my Remington 700CDL back for Trigger Recall. Went back with a nice blued bbl, came home with a matte finished bbl.
    Called Rem C.S. was told they all came that way. The next month I was in a GunShop, they had 3 Rem 700CDL's on the shelf w/blue bbl's. They just started to come in that way. And the trigger is still screwed up.

I'd rather have a problem fixed by a competent GunSmith then send it back to have some fumble-fingered hack screw it up worse.

Why I buy only used guns NOW>
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

the extractor does slide, it was not difficult to move, but it didn't feel loose either.

update at 1000 hrs
    I went to the range this morning and after 20 rounds fired I noticed that the extractor had slid back to a different position. I had to slide it back around to get the proper ejection. I do like shooting this .257 Roberts.
    I don't think I will send it back to Remington.
    Last edited by atr; 06-12-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Remington won't work on a 65 year old obsolete gun of theirs. I'd be looking for a replacement extractor- something is amiss there for sure.

Boolit Master

Texas...
    I checked the movement of the extractor on my other 722 /.222 and it also can be moved! Although the 722/.222 has never shifted after firings, it can be moved similar to the one under discussion; the 722/.257

I agree Remington, like Harley Davidson, won't work on older out of date models. Yes this model is obsolete, but the 257 Roberts cartridge is not.

Knowing that this rotation occurs it is an easy thing to adjust back into the proper position.

Stay safe, Stay healthy
    atr

I wonder if loctite would keep it from shifting. Apparently Remington used a rivet on later ones (or began with the 700).

Boolit Master

Texas....great idea about the lok-tight.
    Thanks !
    atr

When a scope is rotated 90 degrees the adjustments are: Up= Right; Left = Down. The Loctite was a suggestion only, fouronesix. What would it take to fit a 700 extractor to a 721/722 bolt- being they are similar? I’ve heard of the Sako extractor job for decades but I’ve never had a Walker/Leek extractor fail.

Boolit Master
    I had a .222 opened up to .220 swift, back about 1960. I put a drop of epoxy in the groove to keep the ring from rotating. I don't think I even got the .308 sized extractor, used what I had. Gunsmith could have changed it. Shot the swift barrel out, and have been shooting it with a 260 barrel for years and it is still working. I would put a drop of epoxey, after I removed the extractor and cleaned and degreased the groove, put the extractor back in and put the drop where the ends meet. JB Weld would do it

Boolit Master

fouronesix...your point is well taken, and I agree that the spring steel does need to move. If a dab of epoxy is placed at one end of the spring steel, pinning it from moving, the other end will still be able to accommodate the required flexing.

flounderman...thanks for your post, I too was leaning toward the epoxy option and I am glad to hear that it did fix the problem. I think that is why some models had this spring steel clip riveted. The rivets would keep it from moving too far and the long slotted holes would allow the spring steel to flex.

You all have been most helpful. I keep learning.
    thanks
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 06-15-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Glad you're making progress. A 722/257 was my first rifle, only problem is I want another Only problem I've had with mine was the tip-off scope mount getting knocked askew & for first time ever the rifle wasn't in the black when fired - Once I finally figured out what had happened, easy to fix. We both maybe should consider looking for a few spare parts for these old jewels?