Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lead fishing weight ban????

Boolit Grand Master

Lead fishing weight ban????

Friend gave me all his fishing drift nets.
    Seems a game warden told him they were illegal because it had lead weights on it.
    I've never heard of lead weights being banned for fishing.
    Could just be a local thing, or the game warden just didn't know what he was talking about.
    It's not uncommon for le here to make up rules on the fly.
    Go to court to challenge, le loses, they come after you for something else to show who's the boss.
    I still see lead fishing sinkers for sale all over the place.
    We have to compete with them for scrap lead all the time.
    Anyone ever heard of anything like this.

I did get a good amount of soft lead anyway.

Boolit Master
    New Hampshire has banned the use of sinkers weighing less than an ounce and lead jigs less than an inch in length. Maine and, New York have banned the sale of lead sinkers weighing less than half of an ounce. The use of lead sinkers and jigs weighing less than 50 grams is prohibited in Canadian national parks and national wildlife areas. Lead sinkers are currently prohibited in three national wildlife refuges in the western United States.

Boolit Master

I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything on any bans.

I live in FL, and drift nets have been banned for a long time. Given the destruction they were doing, I have to admit that I'm glad they are.

Congrats on the score. I've thought seriously about using zinc WW for fishing weights. Not because of any ban, but to save my lead. I've even had experiments go pretty well. They're just more difficult because of the higher melt temperature.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    New Hampshire has banned the use of sinkers weighing less than an ounce and lead jigs less than an inch in length. Maine and, New York have banned the sale of lead sinkers weighing less than half of an ounce. The use of lead sinkers and jigs weighing less than 50 grams is prohibited in Canadian national parks and national wildlife areas. Lead sinkers are currently prohibited in three national wildlife refuges in the western United States.
    I saw some references to that. I have a couple worm weights that are tiny, but I mostly fish salt water, and it's rare that I use a sinker under an ounce.

A friend of mine sells sinkers that are as heavy as 15 POUNDS for deep-drop saltwater fishing.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

Is your friend a native? If he is then tell them to bother someone who cares.

I snag all the lead fishing sinkers I can find. Lead sinkers are not yet banned here YET Jay Inslee has tried to ban Lead sinkers on the Columbia River and on the Salt Water Beaches for fishing purposes. The Greenie Fishermen put them up for free at yard Sales here on the Long Beach Peninsula. They make great soft lead ingots.

Boolit Master
    https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9223.html

Fishing Responsibly in New York State

From small headwater tributaries and tiny ponds, to large rivers and lakes, New York is blessed with abundant fishing waters. To help ensure that the state's fish populations remain healthy, New York's Department of Environmental Conservation continually monitors the resource and employs a wide range of fishing regulations. These fishing regulations are frequently evaluated to ensure the best possible fish populations are maintained in the Empire State's diverse waters.

Anglers can assist this effort by fishing responsibly. Be sure that you know and understand the regulations for the waters that you will be fishing. In addition to following fishing regulations there are other ways that you can insure that your fishing will not harm aquatic resources or others enjoyment of them. Through following the simple guidelines below, anglers will help make sure there will be great fishing for future generations to enjoy.
    Non-toxic Sinkers and Jigs

The loss of sinkers and lures is a routine part of fishing. Unfortunately, lost sinkers, especially split shot, may be mistaken for food or grit and eaten by waterbirds such as ducks, geese, swans, gulls, or loons. Toxic effects of even a single lead sinker can cause birds to sicken and increases the risk of death through predation, exposure, or lead poisoning.

As responsible anglers, we should seek to reduce the unintended effects on the natural environment and leave no trace of our presence. A trip to your favorite tackle shop will reveal a variety of alternatives to lead split shot, sinkers and jig heads. By switching to non-toxic sinkers with your next purchase, you can assure that your fishing tackle choices are helping to reduce the risk of lead poisoning to birds.

New York State passed legislation that will prohibit the sale of certain lead sinkers. Beginning in May 2004, the sale of lead fishing sinkers (including "split shot") weighing one-half ounce or less will not be permitted.

The new legislation (Environmental Conservation Law, Section 11-0308) regarding the ban of sale of small lead fishing sinkers states:

S 11-0308.* Sale of small lead fishing sinkers prohibited.

No person shall sell at retail or offer for retail sale lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less. Each day of sale or offering for sale shall constitute a separate violation of this section.
    For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
    "sinker" shall mean any device that is designed to be attached to a fishing line and intended to sink the line. Such term shall not include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.
    "sell at retail" or "retail sale" shall mean the sale to any person in the state for any purpose other than for resale.
    The department shall provide notice of the prohibition of the retail sale or offering for sale of lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less in the state fishing regulations guide.

* NB Effective since May 7, 2004

Protecting Wildlife and Fishing Privileges

When fishing, anglers need to be conscious of their effects on the environment, and make sure they practice their sport in a manner that has a minimal impact on all the state's natural resources. Discarded monofilament line, along with old fishing lures and gear can potentially harm wildlife. For some species, the results can be fatal. It's up to all anglers to be responsible and protect the state's wildlife and environment.

Boolit Master
    While looking for the official lead sinker law here I came upon some articles as far back as 2013 discussing banning soft plastic baits (rubber worms) in Maine & New York, for environmental reasons. Looks like they never passed.

https://wyrk.com/new-york-state-ban-...fishing-lures/

http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/co...res-the-future

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/soft-plastics-banned

https://www.outdoornews.com/2014/08/...searcher-says/

It depends on the state you in and see where it is wrote down for what the real laws are , I know some LE dose not looking at the laws before they let you know for what you ask. I had one of the old game wardens try to tell me about how I can not catch a type of fish . I told him it is in the booklet that your the DNR give out . SO he look it up in his book of all the laws and seen what I told him was right and he was wrong and said he never know that you could do that with that type of fish. He let it go after. I got along good with him and he look out after me also. He is retired now.The one I have now I get along good with him and he is always willing to help e on what ever it is , if he dose not know for what I ask he will take the time to find out one way or another and then get back with me later.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

For river fishing I started casting zinc sinkers a few years ago. To get the equivalent weight you have to go up a size but it also makes some nice finesse sinkers in the small sizes where they don't make the style sinker I like to use under 1/2 oz. Lead is still legal in MN but retailers are phasing it out... I stocked up on the 1/2 thru 1oz snap on bell sinkers I like to use when bottom fishing the lake.

This is the style. I use a split shot as a sinker stop 12-24 inches above the hook then snap on as much weight as needed above that. Since the line can slide the fish don't feel the sinkers...

Banned
    abunaitoo, sounds like your friend bought that game warden's story........hook, line & sinker.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead sinkers aren't banned here but I can see it happening in the near future.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

The European Union is looking at a lead bullet ammo ban within 2 years.
    They seek to end inexpensive ammunition supplies for 22 rimfire and handguns

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shoo...ition-of-ISSF/

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/ammuniti...ammunition-ban

Lead is a rather benign heavy metal but stupid want to take over regulation and use
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    That was tried a few years back statewide here in Washington. The ban was on sinkers and jigs 4 oz. and down to protect swans but the department got so much ribbing for the 4 oz rule (how big does a swan have to be to swallow a 4 oz banana sinker??? followed by reference to pterodactyls.) that the idea was dropped.

I used to get lead from les Schwab but I guess WA is were they are based and osha won't allow lead in a work place so schwabies no longer is allowed to sell it to the public in Montana
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master

VT did it too although there is scant evidence of any impact on wildlife especially loons which was behind the push. I have a pair on my pond at my hunting camp that return every year as well as being a Wildlife Biologist so have great interest in the subject.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum