MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shot my 2 week old Rolling block today.

Boolit Master

Shot my 2 week old Rolling block today.

I got out my Swedish/Danish, I dont know, some Norwegian Rolling block. It appears to have been made in 1867, then re arsenaled at a latter date, re heat treated receiver, and a new 45/70 barrel 34" long with a bayonet lug on it. It has very fine sights, and hits to point of aim, with the sight slide on#2 at 140yds. I am shooting 15 grs of Unique, with a 300grain cast bullet with 3 grease grooves. It has brown patina and freckling all over, but is in really good shape for a gun this old. The stock and forearm are solid as a rock, with no cracks.The bore is pristine, with nice square rifling, bright and shiny, with no pits. All the working parts are in tip top shape, with no rust, oiled well. This could easily become my favorite 45/70 because it is so well balanced and holds offhand really well. I will see if I can get a friend to post pics. Also, there is a brass plug, about .45 caliber inleted into the side of the buttstock, solid brass, anyone have a idea what this is for, sticks up about 1/4" or a little more.

Koger's latest successful attempt to make me jealous.....here's pics- so it happened!
    Is Roller Envy a thing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That is nice. Show some pictures of your targets when you can.

Boolit Mold
    I have a couple of those...Not a true 45-70 , 11.7x51 I think...Most were brought in in the 50's and had a 45-70 reamer run in to convert them...That being said I love mine It is very accurate with the Lee 405 hollow base bullet..The brass swells a bit from fire forming but I developed a reloading procedure so it isn't sized down excessively...I forget what dies I use but it is in my book..I wind up with a very slight sized down portion holding the bullet...Almost a slight bottle neck but It works great..They are nice rifles and usually in great shape when you find them...

Banned

Very nice!

Boolit Bub
    Very nice!
    If you go to Kenn's website he has a little bit about the different Scandahoovian rollers on his site. http://www.rollingblockparts.com/ plus original parts should you ever need them.
    There is such a thing as roller envy, a few of us have finally made it past it but it involved purchases of more rollers than I should.
    I shoot with a group that refer to themselves as team roller and say rollers rule and Sharps drool. Sharps always brag that they were the gun that made the west safe for Winchester, I think rollers did the same for Sharps.
    Greg

Boolit Master
    Thanks a lot, I may join the association, great site and resource for parts.

Color me jealous!
    Whatever!

Although I've been a Marlin and Marlin Ballard guy forever, I am probably as big a fan of Remington single shot rifles. Both the Rolling Block, and Hepburn versions have always appealed to my eyes.
    When I first started looking at Rolling Block rifles back over 40 years ago I didn't even know they made full sized Rolling Block Sporting Rifles? I liked the military models, but once I saw the first octagon barrel sporting rifle I was hooked bad.

Boolit Master
    Can anyone tell me what the brass thing embedded in the stock is? Never saw one on any website, book or anywhere.

It looks like it was put in with a two peg spanner - it's not threaded, is it? I'm not suggesting fooling with it but curious as well. Somebody in Scandinavia knows!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Can't say about the plug, may be a cover up for something that was there.Beautiful rifle. I shoot a few 45-70s and stick with the unique loads too. 73 yr old shoulders won't tolerate much else.

I can not say with certainty concerning that brass plug ... but I have seen them on a lot of those Swedish rollers. I wonder if that is where the number of the rifle is found ... or maybe unit number.

Boolit Master
    Seem to be on the Danish rollers while the Swedes had the larger disc like on their 1896 Mausers. I'm sure there is/was some significance to the Danes but have no idea what that was. Need someone from over that way to chime in.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95