RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: The end of an era!

Boolit Master

The end of an era!

Headline in Spokane Spokesman-Review newspaper stated that we have come to the end of an era.
    THE WHITE ELEPHANT at both Spokane stores is closing it's doors. For those not familiar, it was THE place to go for good deals on all kinds of gun and fishing related stuff. It was family run since 1946. Owner, John Connolly, passed away about a year ago, and his sons are of retirement age, and no longer wish to continue the business. They were closed yesterday to mark down pricing, and open today at 9AM, and will maintain social distancing. They said COVID 19 had a part in their decision, since they have been closed for about 3 months. I'll bet the line to get in will stretch to Pullman!
    I, for one, am sad to see them go!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't been there in 20-25 years but used to have some great deals on bullets and powder, bought my first 5 pounder of SR4759 there. Pretty sure I've still got a Penn reel that came from there too.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Sad, always shopped there when in the area.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Opportunity knocks. Sad to lose an appreciated resource. Coming out of this @#$% madness, if the Big Box Stores are not already beating down the competition, it sounds like some enterprising youngsters would do well there to open a similar business in the wake of TWE's passing. Too bad really others didn't get together to buy out the existing enterprise and thus keep the store and its name recognition alive - but that would have required clandestine meetings, willing bankers, and foreknowledge that TWE's doom was impending.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

This is truly the loss of a great resource. From the late 80's to the 00's I could often save the cost of a tank of gas to shop there from Missoula. They had anything with sporting goods and kids toys at great prices.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

No! I love that store. Every time I'm over that way I would go and buy something. That truly is sad....
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master
    I grew up in Moses Lake, and TWE was always on the list of stops when we got to Spokane. I moved to Wyoming in 1980 and haven't been there since.

Boolit Buddy
    The closing is a great lose as TWE did carry some things that you could not get any other local store. The worst is that they were the only over the counter source for BP in Spokane area.
    Shaune509

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Headline in Spokane Spokesman-Review newspaper stated that we have come to the end of an era.
    THE WHITE ELEPHANT at both Spokane stores is closing it's doors. For those not familiar, it was THE place to go for good deals on all kinds of gun and fishing related stuff. It was family run since 1946. Owner, John Connolly, passed away about a year ago, and his sons are of retirement age, and no longer wish to continue the business. They were closed yesterday to mark down pricing, and open today at 9AM, and will maintain social distancing. They said COVID 19 had a part in their decision, since they have been closed for about 3 months. I'll bet the line to get in will stretch to Pullman!
    I, for one, am sad to see them go!
    Never been there but it sounds like a good guy type of business. We used to have a gun shop in my area called Dury's. Good guy and knew his stuff about hunting. He passed away a while back and his kids took it over. The first thing they did was moved the shop almost to New Braunsfels which is 40 miles from me and jacked the prices up on everything to the point that it is cheaper for me to buy on line. I really would rather buy locally but not at their prices.

I guess the good guys are all gone.

ACC

It’s terrible to lose them. Dad grew up south of Spokane and bought his Winchester 32 Special in he early fifties. He used to take us there every time we were in town. I went there whenever I was in Spokane. I always looked for things to buy there such as hunting knives, camping gear for my Boy Scout son, casting gear and board games. It’s truly an amazing place. I almost feel like a part of my is dying.