WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt action shotguns

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I've always wanted one of the Marlin Goose Guns, no real reason why. The 12 would be fine, the 10 would be even better. I know the Mossberg 835 I have is a more capable gun, but something about a bolt gun with a nine foot long barrel just seems cool.
    I had the Marlin Super Goose in 10 gauge. I remember a 34" barrel, someone had opened up to modified choke. I've never had a worse shotgun. Handling, just imagine holding a 2x4. Fit, they had a barrel band to kinda, sorta get your eye in line, but was no substitute for a proper stock. It never patterned worth squat. The only acceptable steel shot load I ever found was the Remington 1 3/4 ounce (not a typo) T shot. That was a solid 45-50 yard goose load from the gun, but I only found that one box, and never saw that for sale again. Sure enough, the ultra expensive Hevishot HeviSteel in BB worked just about as good as the Remington load. Any other load, and a 35 yard shot was iffy at best. At something like 9 1/2 pounds, it is way too light for a 10 gauge as well. Recoil is just like a 3 1/2" 12 gauge. If you want a handier 10 gauge, get the Browning BPS pump. If you want a true long range waterfowl gun that you can shoot without flinching, get one of the three semi autos.

And the big bummer was the reliability. It was an acceptable single shot. The second shot you had a 50-50 chance of it working. There wasn't much point in trying for the third. The last day I had it, I was out and had two geese get scared up by a swan on the other side. They came right over me, a perfect 20 yard crossing shot. First shot, folded the goose up solid. Went for the second goose, and click, CLANG! The magazine had fallen out and hit the bottom of the boat. If it were not for a goose feet up, I would have bent the barrel over my knee.

The very next day I traded it for a MAC automotive scan tool, and never looked back.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 06-10-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage bolt action 410, holds 4 shells with a modified choke. No pics, I am in the process of refinishing it. It was my grandfathers and I'd like to make sure I can pass it down myself.

Boolit Master

Sears Ranger .410

My father was born in 1926 and was given this Sears Ranger .410 shotgun when he was a young child. He passed away a few years ago, but used to talk about his many hunting adventures on the family farm in South Georgia. It’s missing the front bead sight and when asked about it he said it shot out after shooting a 44 Special in it.

As a young man myself, I used it quite often to harvest many a squirrel and rabbit and an occasional quail or dove. It’s still in very good condion and will be passed on to my son.

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Sorry, no pic, but I have one I bought over 50 years ago. 12 Ga. purchased at Grants as I recall.
    Last edited by William Yanda; 06-11-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo, add ga.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned
    I was never super-impressed with bolt action shotguns. I think their claim to fame was they were inexpensive repeaters.
    With the same length barrel a break-action single shot was shorter overall and more reliable.
    My grandfather had a Mossberg bolt gun and I don't recall him ever using it as a repeater. He seemed to view that magazine as just a convenient place to carry spare shells with the gun.

Boolit Master
    I have a bolt action shotgun story. When I was 18 or so a friend and I were going deer hunting. He brought along a guy I had met but didn't know very well. We get the guns out of the trunk and start loading up. Kaboom! New guy has a bolt action shotgun and it just went off, blowing a hole in the side of my '63 Chevy ragtop just behind the rear wheel. After a bunch of yelling and when we could hear again we had the new guy face away from us (and my car) and load up. He put a shell in the chamber and inserted the mag and Kaboom again. Apparently there was an issue with either him or the gun.

Made him wait until he got into the woods before trying it again. I made certain there was a large tree between me and him!

Blew a hold in the side of the car, taking out the small trim piece behind the rear wheel. Body shop charged me $20 to replace the trim, patch the hole, paint and gave me the remaining paint. Yep, it was a while ago, but I still remember the Kabooms!

Boolit Master

I have one and like it a lot! It is a 20 ga X 3" Mossburg with selective choke. It also shoots slug very well. Very simple, basic and dependable.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Always wanted a .410 and 12ga bolt gun. Ive not being deprived for choice, lots of those around. I guess since they haven't been a top priority on the wants/needs list and they are plentiful and cheap, still haven't picked one up. Probably a waste of money but I think it would be fun shortening one a bit, extended the mag tube (on a tubular mag version obviously) and doing a nice stock would be fun as a dedicated slug gun.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    [/url]
    Marlin Goose Gun that won’t fit in my safe.
    I've got one of those leaning against my gun safe, it doesn't fit in mine either. I'm still looking for a gun case for it.

The pattern is super tight. A quarter sized hole in a duck at ~45 yards? might have been closer, it was a long time ago...

also cut a 12" hole through tree branches and dropped a single blackbird at about the same distance.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    This issue of discharging upon bolt closure is from one of two things with the design of the safety.
    The very first thing to do is remove the barreled action from the stock. Flip the action over and inspect the short bolt that secures the sliding saftey tab. Many times it has become so loose that the trigger can release the sear. The other situation with the saftey tab is the tab underneath has been so worn from use that the tab no longer stops the trigger from tripping the sear due to the saftey tab will move easily out of the safety position to the fire position. And lastly, there is a spring which is located in the back of the trigger area that will return the trigger. These either get lost or break over time. So, if your of a mind to pick up one or two of these bolt shotguns, be sure to go over the saftey tab the very first chance you get. Parts are available for these still.

Boolit Buddy
    In the 90's I bought a Marlin 512 for deer hunting in a local area that is shotgun only. A purpose built slug gun with a fully rifled 21" barrel 1:24 twist. I added a scope, sling and a trigger shoe since the trigger was very "lawyer proof". It has taken 2 blacktail bucks. One by me and the other by a friend I loaned it to. He killed it at 125 yards. He was so impressed with its accuracy, that he went out and bought something similar - a Savage 20 ga. slug gun. He said he never would have attempted the shot with his smooth bore. It is definitely accurate. With certain loads it can group just over 1" @ 100 yds. Might sound like a tall tale, but it's true.

Boolit Master
    In the mid 60's I bought a Marlin 12 ga. 3" model for hunting groundhogs, there were plenty of them and at first they weren't that smart. I used 2 3/4" loaded with BB shot until I tried a 3" shell and the stock cracked at the wrist. Well I took it back and bought a Winchester pump that turned out to be much better lasting gun.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    In the mid 60's I bought a Marlin 12 ga. 3" model for hunting groundhogs, there were plenty of them and at first they weren't that smart. I used 2 3/4" loaded with BB shot until I tried a 3" shell and the stock cracked at the wrist. Well I took it back and bought a Winchester pump that turned out to be much better lasting gun.

I have to agree in those years Marlin was not the best of the bolt actions. Mossberg made the better shotgun. Even the Stevens models were not up to the same quality as the Mossberg brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    [/url]
    Marlin Goose Gun that won’t fit in my safe.
    Time sure flys I orderd and bought a New Marlin 12ga Goose gun in 1978 it cost me $65.00
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Bolt action Shotguns have come a long way and gone in a different direction. Now they are "Slug Guns" and essentially .73 or .62 caliber Rifles.

Savage makes the 212 and 220 models which are pretty decent guns. Marlin had the 512? which was also a Rifled Barrel.

Then you get into the really good stuff by an outfit named "Tarhunt." Their guns start at $3500. and they guarantee <MOA!
    https://www.tarhunt.com/product/rsg-12-professional/

These guns are no joke, they have ER Shaw Barrels and are very accurate and they actually work properly. Love to have one, don't have the $3500!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    My first shotgun was a moss berg bolt action single shot. Killed some game with it but it was not something I would recommend. Ok I guess for using like a very short range rifle, but no wing shooters gun. Next was a Rem 870 Wingmaster, never had any interest in shooting much less owning another bolt action! That feeling has not changed in the past 50 years, no more mossbergs and no more bolt shotguns! There are much better choices for firing a shotgun shell. I don’t shoot many slugs, but find M31 and M37s along with 870s to do just fine for me.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Had dozens of bolt shotguns. Would never carry one in the woods. Single barrels are lighter and can fire as fast. And a big plus is they aren’t ugly. I have cut a few and they make decent slug guns.

Years ago at the Hartford Gun club in CT - kind of a snooty club mind you - a "rustic" looking man showed up with a bolt action 12. Talked about how the stock had broken when he leaned the gun against his pickup and forgot it and then drove over it and he "fixed it" with duct tape... didn't like the way it patterned so took a pipe cutter and whacked some of the barrel off and popped a slug through it to remove the burr, never got around to putting a bead back on... on and on. Of course he ran 50 birds and razzed the heck out of the people who owned them 'spensive guns when they missed. Kind of a mix of D. Lee Braun and Jerry Clower. Had to be a put up job... one of the rare things of when a YouTube video would have been worthwhile. But that is the only time I know of that a bolt has seen serious shooting.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    Years ago at the Hartford Gun club in CT - kind of a snooty club mind you - a "rustic" looking man showed up with a bolt action 12. Talked about how the stock had broken when he leaned the gun against his pickup and forgot it and then drove over it and he "fixed it" with duct tape... didn't like the way it patterned so took a pipe cutter and whacked some of the barrel off and popped a slug through it to remove the burr, never got around to putting a bead back on... on and on. Of course he ran 50 birds and razzed the heck out of the people who owned them 'spensive guns when they missed. Kind of a mix of D. Lee Braun and Jerry Clower. Had to be a put up job... one of the rare things of when a YouTube video would have been worthwhile. But that is the only time I know of that a bolt has seen serious shooting.
    Just raffirms that the shooter is the most important part of the equation and the best equipment in the world is no substitute for skill.

Boolit Man
    I've had two, a .410 tube fed Stevens(?) and a Marlin Goose Gun. No longer have either one; the .410 got traded away for a car radio and the Goose Gun got sent down the road because I couldn't hit a thing with it. Wish I'd kept the .410. It was the first gun I ever had.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12