Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt action shotguns

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

Bolt action shotguns

Are you a proud owner of one of these bolt actions from yesteryear. If so let's see a picture of it, and a little bit about its history.

Boolit Master
    No picture, but it is a Harrington and Richardson "Huntsman" 12 gauge. A wee bit too long to be anything but awkward, and basically in less than desirable over-all condition, so I shortened it a bit. It was very well used, but poorly maintained when I bought it about 40 years ago. If I remember right, I paid around $50.

"Repeating Barn Guns" is how I've always thought of them. A friend had a Stevens bolt action 16 gauge with beautiful walnut and a hidden tube magazine. It worked better than the Marlin I had. You couldn't hardly give either one away at the gun shows. I'd pay $50 for one nowadays for a river riding gun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ugly as homemade soap, but they work. The ones I’ve seen were pretty clumsy in the handling department.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    a lot of the guys here shoot them ol bolt guns for geese mostly 10 gauge, the barrels are so long the low flyers have to skirt around them, that's when the other guys with the shorter 12 gauges get their geese. LOL

Banned

I've always wanted one of the Marlin Goose Guns, no real reason why. The 12 would be fine, the 10 would be even better. I know the Mossberg 835 I have is a more capable gun, but something about a bolt gun with a nine foot long barrel just seems cool.

USMC 77, USRA 79

cool and Heavy Rich... I think you would have to lower that 9 footer into a blind with a crane... forget about any sort of walking through the woods on the way to the blind.. (But I still want one)
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

Steel shot requirements killed them, I suppose. I remember reading from enough people who've said that NOTHING patterns better with lead to believe it. If one presented itself cheap, I'd get it for coyotes, crows and such.

I've been spending time at the trap range lately and having fun, but it would be a hoot to take one of those out there and shoot a round or two with it.

Boolit Master
    Here is the one I have. It was my Father-In-Laws that I got with his passing many years ago. Shoots foster slugs pretty well. Took it deer hunting a couple of times but never had a chance to actually use it. Not sure who did the stock work, kinda has a tree bark type pattern. I've had several others over the years but they all found other homes. This one will be with me until the end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56a.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	263459

Cast Boolits Owner

No pics but I have a near mint Mossberg 190 in 16 Ga, 2 3/4 with a “c-lect-choke” and ports on both sides of the barrel right before the choke.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy
    [/url]
    Marlin Goose Gun that won’t fit in my safe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    [/url]
    Marlin Goose Gun that won’t fit in my safe.
    I've put a lot of rounds thru one of those long necked shot slingers

Boolit Grand Master

No picture but my Dad bought a Sears - J. C. Higgins - Model 10 - bolt-action 16 gauge in 1946 ,to hunt with right after getting out the Navy. It was the only shotgun in the store . It had a tubular magazine under the barrel . Dad said he bought it because he and some buddies were going hunting the next day and he planned to buy a nicer pump or semi-auto later .
    Dad said after hunting rabbits with it ... he hit every rabbit that came his way.. he decided it fit so well he would just keep it .
    Now my Dad was a hunter ...ducks , game birds , small game like squirrels , coons possums and rabbits (his passion)and larger game like deer and wild hogs .... he did it all with this one gun .
    It was the only gun he owned his entire adult life ... I did find a WWII era Walther P38 in his sock drawer but I don't remember him ever shooting it .

When I was eleven I wanted a 22 rifle but Dad got me a single shot .410 instead (Western Auto ) ... I was thrilled ... now I could go hunting with my Dad ... and we went on many squirrel and rabbit hunting trips !
    Thanks Dad !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-10-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

My brother has it now.. My proudest day as a 14 year old was doubling on ducks with it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    No pics but I have a near mint Mossberg 190 in 16 Ga, 2 3/4 with a “c-lect-choke” and ports on both sides of the barrel right before the choke.
    Ya i have this one too in 16 Ga Had same in 20 Ga also had a Marlin Gooses gun 36" barrel in 12 Ga
    I kept the 16 Ga but sold the other 2 they suck my Dad liked them I went with pumps
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Got a Marlin 55 12 ga think is has a 28" barrel think I paid 40 bucks for it a few years ago not much to look at but it goes bang and feeds perfectly .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Just love the stories, I wasn't sure whether or not many here on the forum had these old inexpensive but solidly made shotguns made for all around field work. My dad got me mine when I turned 16 for my first deer hunt. Dad was shooting his Remington 11-48. I remember hunting for two seasons with it, but never saw a deer to shoot with it, but that didn't stop me from running lots of slugs through it with the choke screwed back to Imp Cyl. Although I never had any luck at deer with it the rabbits and squirrels fell to it in large numbers each of the two years I hunted with it. At 18 just two short years later it was time to get out into the world on my own and much of my shooting and hunting was put on the back burner for much of the next 9 years. Upon my arrival out west in 1977 my hunting opportunities to get back into the outdoors and the shooting sports presented themselves once again. I started to get back into trying to locate some of these old workhorses last year to see what I could find before most were gone forever and only to be found in the old catalogs or pictures. I was able to round up a few of the 12-410ga groups, both of the thread on chokes, and the select-O-chokes that Mossberg produced for the later models the K and the D series. Some that I came across did have stocks that were showing that they were anything but safe queens and I two two to the shop for stock work to return them to there earlier state. I still have one left to find I think it was the model 183 KE

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad ordered a Mossberg 185K (I think that's right) from Sears around 1950. It's a 20 guage with the c-lect choke and the vents in the side of the barrel, schnabel forend, and a monte carlo stock.

It was the only shotgun he owned until the mid 70's when it became mine. A dump truck wouldn't hold the squirrels, rabbits, & doves that he and I shot. I passed it along to one of my nephews last year. Might buy another some day, but if I do the monte carlo will have to go and a recoil pad added.

I have owned them in 12, 16, 20, and 410 and sold or traded them all now.
    The 16 ga. was a J C Higgins and was unsafe as if you ever squeezed the trigger with the safety on it wouldn’t fire but you could feel something move slightly and when you took the safety off it would fire right then. I told whoever bought it about the issue and hope it never caused a accident.

Jedman

Boolit Master

My son has a mossberg 20 ga with the select choke.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast