Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 in the hand or 45LC in the bush?

Boolit Buddy

45-70 in the hand or 45LC in the bush?

I have a gun I want to trade for a 45 LC Winchester/marlin/Henry and I haven’t really advertised it yet but I was talking to a guy that offered up a nib marlin trapper stainless 45-70.

I’m tempted but would have to buy all casting and reloading stuff to go with it and I’m not really sure what I’d shoot it at other than put it in rotation for deer and punch bigger holes in paper.

I already have all the 45 LC stuff but I still would have to find someone to make the trade or buy it and reuse funds for a lever gun.

Words of advise?

Hold out for what YOU wanted, and don't compromise.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    45-70 can be loaded down to 45 Colt levels, the Marlin 1895 Trapper may or may not be lighter than a 45 Colt rifle, depending on model. I would expect the 45-70 to be much more accurate at 100 yards and beyond. Of course, the 45-70 can be loaded up for just about anything you want to shoot. The Lee 4-die set thqt includes the crimper works fine and is what I use, my upgrade from an old Herter's die set. I would get a Lyman 'M' or NOE stepped expander for cast. I have used both .459 and .460 bullets in my 2 Marlin 1895's, 2018 Cowboy and 1979 models. NOE and Accurate offer light bullet molds for the 45 rifles(.458+ dia) The Marlin 1895 45-70 is a very good rifle. I have had good results with the commercially cast 300gr plain base bullets. I can think of many trips where I wished my Marlin 1895 was stainless. In Alabama, that could/ would be a high consideration.

Boolit Master
    The Marlin 1894 45 Colt is much lighter than the same rifle in lessor calibers. The barrel walls are that much thinner. My 1895 45-70 isn't any lighter than some of my bolt rifles. But when I fire a Buffalo Bore round, it wish it weighed about 3# more.
    Check the rifling twist rate in the 1894. I have a source that says it's 1 in 38." My 44 magnum's 1 in 38" twist is too slow for bullets longer than maybe a 270 grain. I know 300 gr Lee cast bullets don't stabilize. I'm thinking Marlin/Remington considers the 1894 a cowboy action rifle (the 444 1895 has a twist similar to my Ruger SBH revolvers).
    Last edited by Norske; 06-10-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to agree with Four-Sixty.

Having had both, the 1894CB in .45 Colt is still here, while the 1895SS in .45-70 went down the road. Don't get me wrong, the .45-70 is a tremendous cartridge, but I don't personally need that much potential power in a lever action. And it is way to easy to load what I call Elmer Keith Memorial Loads that your shoulder will hate you for.

I would imagine that the .45 Colt will take care of any you find in Alabama just fine, plus to set up for casting and loading another caliber is going to take around $200 on top of the price of the gun by the time you get a couple of molds and all the other stuff.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    If I had a gun I didn’t want so was “tradeable” and I wanted a 45lc, was offered anew 45-70 even up I would take it if I didn’t have a 45-70. Buy a box of ammo and play with it, maybe I’m happy with it, maybe I keep it and keep hunting a 45lc, maybe I trade it for a 45lc. Point is I had a gun I didn’t want, got a gun for it of equal or better value I didn’t want, sounds like I got a new toy for nothing and when I tired of it I would trade it. Either way it’s a win from my perspective. Disclaimer, I’ve never sold a gun, never traded a gun, so my perspective is skewed!

What is Your 45/70?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    The Marlin 1894 45 Colt is much lighter than the same rifle in lessor calibers. The barrel walls are that much thinner. My 1895 45-70 isn't any lighter than some of my bolt rifles. But when I fire a Buffalo Bore round, it wish it weighed about 3# more.
    Check the rifling twist rate in the 1894. I have a source that says it's 1 in 38." My 44 magnum's 1 in 38" twist is too slow for bullets longer than maybe a 270 grain. I know 300 gr Lee cast bullets don't stabilize. I'm thinking Marlin/Remington considers the 1894 a cowboy action rifle (the 444 1895 has a twist similar to my Ruger SBH revolvers).
    whats the problem here ? whats out in the wilds of Alabama that a normal slug (255 grain cast) from a new made 45 colt rifle wont handle? just wondering whats the fascination with overloading these pistol calibre guns with heavy slugs they not made to shoot? no grizzer bars? no bufflers dont need a 45/70 - and didnt sound like he wanted one either really.............

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    ditto on this plus I can guarantee You'd shoot the .45 LC alot more. I have a 1895 CB and an 1894 CB in .44 Spec/Mag and I shoot the .44 much more and I load for both. Even with light loads the big gun is harder on you. My Hot loads for .44 Mags in pistols and rifles are right up there with my normal .45-70 load. I can't duplicate my .44 Mag or Special Mid-Range loads with a .45-70. I also wouldn't hesitate shooting a deer with my Mid-Range .44's as I already know they will go clean thru it in any direction. That's 250 gr SWC at 11-1200 fps form the rifle, my hot loads are 17-1800 fps and they will go thru 2 deer plus a tree.

Anything you can do with a .44 Magnum you can do with a .45 LC using new Starline Brass and have bigger boolits to boot!

Also I'd seriously recommend a Marlin 1894 CB Short Rifle go here.https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...1894cb-45-colt

These are more like $825 on the street.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Agree with this. A compromise is just that. It's not what you wanted. Pistol caliber carbines are fun. Maybe a little too fun once you get your lead bullet load worked out. I know I may get flamed for this but, I would stay away from micro groove rifling. This is just my person opinion. I know people have good luck with it, but I seem to find that Ballard rifling is easier for me to get the loads I want.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Great discussion topic. I went down this road 25 years ago. Have owned a bunch of .45-70s over the years, Trapdoors, 1886 Winchesters, custom Ruger No.1H "Tropical Rifle" in .45-70 rather than in .458 Win. As I got older and more arthritic I grew less tolerant of the heavier recoil and the .45-70s were very hungry for powder and lead. I sold off the .45-70s, and acquired several single-shot and lever-action .45 Colt rifles. I already had a gaggle of .45 Colt revolvers, Colt SAs, New Service M1909, Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawk single-actions, a customized rebarrelled and recylindered M1917 and an S&W 25.

I found very adequate enjoyment in .45 Colt for shooting steel and for Eastern woods deer and boar hunting, very effective on game, easy on both the shoulder and the ears. VERY economical to shoot. Accurate 45-290H, 295-grain flatnosed bullet cast 1 to 30 tin-lead with 7.5 grains of Bullseye does all you require in either rifle or revolver within 100 yards. Complete through-and-through penetration from any angle on deer or pigs and a stone killer. Long nose of the 290H fits the longer Ruger cylinders. In the Colt New Service and Single-Action Army I use same charge with 45-264H, which has a shorter nose. Good full charge load slightly above SAAMI MAP for .45 Colt, but not exceeding .45 ACP pressure levels, which is clean burning and accurate.

Attachment 263528 Attachment 263530Attachment 263531
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-12-2020 at 08:49 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I had about decided to go ahead and get the 45-70 until coming back to check this thread today. I've been waffling on this. Its not that I don't want a .45-70 its just that wasn't what I was planning on. I think it could be a fun gun and as my time in Alabama is temporary I may have more of a use for it in the future.

On the other hand I've been having fun with the 45 LC revolver and think that a matching lever action would add to the fun. And I can feed it with what I have on hand and the supplies will last longer.

Boolit Master
    I have the cowboy limited version of the 1894 in 45lc and shoot it less than my 1895 in 45-70. That octagon barrel looks great, but it’s heavy. The 336 in .44 is fun and I don’t know why it doesn’t get shot more, need to do some load development for it. Obviously the 1894 in .357 is the Centerfire winner for punching holes in paper and plinking.
    All that you say that the premise of your question is wrong, you should get the new one and keep the old one.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several of both. I shoot the 45-70 a lot more. I have the 45 Colts for cowboy action but like most Marlins in 45 Colt they have large chambers.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I'd have a hard time passing up the Marlin; I really like my .45-70CB, but if you don't really want it, hold out for what ya do want.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had a 45/410 single shot pistol . Which caused me to need a 45 Colts Ruger BH .
    Having the BH begged for a companion carbine ......... 2 M92' copies and a weirdness that I guess I'm the only person on the planet to experience . I chased heavy and slow and fast and light and the 1-32" twist just wouldn't cooperate until I was out in the woods , clear off the tracks , rowing in the swamp for data . If l load for 750 in the BH I can shoot at 100 ok ..... That run "made" me buy a 45-70 1895G which is of course I can load down to a 45 ACP or a medium African slayer suited for almost anything in a North American zoo break .

I am having the less attractive 92' rebarreled with a 1-16 so it's not out performed by a High Point 945 ........ I can't stand the idea of having a carbine that I can match hunting ranges with it's pistol .

I really enjoy the 45-70 without being beaten up and in hindsight it would have saved me a lot of fooling around .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Im a 45-70 fan but not in remlin anything older marlin yes henry is also a real good gun. 45 colt is a quicker cartridge but wont have the penetration of a 500 grn @1500 fps. By quicker i mean quicker followups
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I like them both. Was just today shooting my H&R officers trapdoor 45-70 and Marlin 1895 45-70 sporter. 350 grain cast at 1300 FPS with unique. Cheap, accurate and easy on shoulder. Shooting a large wood block hanging at 100yards. Lots of fun with family and friends who have never shot 45-70. And so is 45.colt that will hold 2X as much in the tube. In the end, it’s just easy to pack twice as much ammo in 45 colt then 45-70.

Boolit Master
    Where I hunt the 45 LC won't reach the game or put it down, big bears, big bucks, moose and elk and the 45/70 is tops, the .45 Colt is for cowboy games.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Where I hunt the 45 LC won't reach the game or put it down, big bears, big bucks, moose and elk and the 45/70 is tops, the .45 Colt is for cowboy games.
    There was a older feller here he worked up at macs he had to put down a big bear with a .45 bh While out in the backcountry. But yes a 45-70 is the way to go for draining big critters.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast