Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 in the hand or 45LC in the bush?

Boolit Man
    Having both a 45 Colt SA and the Marlin in 45 Colt, it is nice to have matching calibers. Even if it's just to say you have matching calibers. I did find a load that works in both pretty well so I don't have to worry about mixing ammo.

Boolit Master

My 45/70 loads work same as 45 colts

However 45 colts can not work the same as my 45/70 can.

If I had a 45 colt I would not worry about it until I need to use it for Buff's , Moose. Elk. Other than them go with the Colt and more available in the magazine.

However my 1895 Marlin has always been loaded wit 1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine and in 40 years never needed to reload it in a Hunting scenario.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I decided to give the .45-70 a shot. (Pun intended). It’s a new Marlin 1895 trapper with a pretty nice trigger out of the box.

I picked up a reloading package off S&S here with some dies, brass, sizer and a 300ish grain mold. I also have a mind to find a load using WC844. I know this isn’t a popular powder to use in this round but have also read of some people having really good success with it. It seems that this powder works better for medium to full house loads with heavier Boolits. I guess now I need to find a mold in the 400+ gr range.

The 400+ gr bullets are more effecent in this cartridge no matter bbl length even my revolver is better suited to the 500+ gr. I get better accuracy and burn the only issue is launching em 1500fps then expecting to get back on target quickly
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I’ve had several .45-70s, currently have a .45-60 but have a bunch of 45lcs. The .45lc in a modern rifle can be loaded up to a lot more umph than the general factory loads are. Factory loads are loaded lighter in case they find their way into the many older firearms out there. There are hotter loads which are labeled as being for rugers, etc available or safely brew your own. If you’ve already got the .45lc components why mess with 45-70? Just be careful with your hot reloads if you’ve got grandads old 1873 in your safe.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have several 405 class moulds .

An old Herters I haven't cast yet .

I have a 462-420 MP the PB/HB version it casts .460 @ 417 and 380 gr , if you want to drive hard it works well .

The 458193 . It works great across a wide selection of powders and power levels .
    1895 G , Unique , 4198 , H322 and screened ownself BP .

Watch the nose length on bullet selections the Marlins are very particular about the 2.55 OAL so that only leaves a nose out of .445 unless you use the hated Hornady brass everyone hates but turn loose of .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

You made a great choice with a short barreled 45-70. That rifle will give you very many hours of fun and endless experiments with loads that range from rite down hurtful to loads that the young can use comfortably.

The 45 Colt has been contrary for me. Have had four and still have my favorite out of the lot but it being a Winchester Moroku made 1873, I do not load it hard as I do not know how much the toggle link action would withstand and not harm it. It wears a 16 inch tube but wow fun and lite ... however the large chambers drive me crazy. This 73 carbine has the tightest chamber and it still is rather large.

45-70's are not struck with the huge chambers that the 45 Colt levers are ... GENERALLY.

I think you will enjoy your short barreled Marlin 45-70 ... I sure do mine. Mine has the 20 inch barrel and is the older JM SBL model. It may be the most comfortable 45-70 I have ever owned. I have and have had several in all action styles and that JM Marlin is tops overall.

Congrats.

Moderator Emeritus

Please let us know how the new Marlin works out. Kinda a Marlin nut with all of mine JM's. Just grabbed a 256 last night because... My first lever was my 45/70. Two shots and I had a grin from ear to ear. Like some have said I have never sold or traded anything even when I had a duplicate or triplicate

Boolit Master
    I find 300 grain bullets work fine in the 45-70 for the critters I hunt, I've taken many elk and 1 moose with the 300 grain bullet and have no reason to go heavier. Recoil is less and trajectory can be much flatter. You get 4 300 grain bullets 0r 3 400 grain bullets withe same amount of lead. Accuracy can be very good, under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards, scope of course. Maybe 400 grain bullets are needed to get black powder to burn, but depending on velocity desired, the right powder can be key. I use Accurate 2015 for heavier loads, 5744 for milder loads, and Unique works well for soft shooting. W844 will probably work well for 'heavier' loads but may leave some residue as pressures go down. 4198 and ReLoder 7 also work well over a range of velocities. H322 works well for top loads, but there rumors that it acts badly for reduced loading. I have been using an 1895 Marlin 45-70 since 1980 and it is still my favorite elk rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Well my first outing with it was brief but fun. I found a starting load for h335 on hodgdon’s website for a 300 gr bullet at 58gr powder. I reduced that by about 10% to 52gr and laddered back up to 58. I felt comfortable at 52gr since I read where others had gone as low as 48gr but didn’t recommend going any lower.

I just had enough time to shoot 2 rounds at each increment and wasn’t shooting for accuracy or speed but just wanted to get a feel for it at the different levels. I’m gonna really like this one!

Boolit Buddy
    Had a 45-70, what a brute for Ohio deer. Bought a Puma (Rossi) 454 Casull shoots 45 colt loads just fine and kills deer just fine. With 454 loads send a 310 gr slug down range at 2050 fps, that getting close to the 45-70 velocity. It will put that 454 slug clean thru a Big buck from end to end taking out heat, lungs, and other things. good for Ohio woods and easy to carry, it's all that I need.
    BD

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 45 Colt lever guns and one revolver,. I also have a marlin 1895 18" barrel in 45-70. If it came down to one lever rifle I would keep the 45-70. Very versatile round with a rich history. The 45 Colt also has a rich history but for some reason I just love the 45-70. Extremely versatile. BTW if you need something for recoil management the slip on Kick EEZ pads work wonders.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Cowboy, choosing a 45 Colt or a 45-70 lever is a determination of the maximum distance you every are going to shoot the reloads. Plus, cost of reloads is also a factor.
    FYi, don't rule out the accuracy of a 45 Colt at long distances. Picture of 2 Rams at 500 meters using a '66 Henry, 45 Colt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PDRM2905.JPG  
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    FYi, don't rule out the accuracy of a 45 Colt at long distances. Picture of 2 Rams at 500 meters using a '66 Henry, 45 Colt
    What'd you use to get enough elevation? Just aim at a cloud over the target? That's pretty impressive. I hope to get a 500 yd range set up in the next couple off months to play around with longer range shooting. Unfortunately the only thing readily available is 100yds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DDJ View Post
    BTW if you need something for recoil management the slip on Kick EEZ pads work wonders.
    The trapper has a pretty good recoil pad that has handled what I've shot through it pretty well. I'd have to load something substantially stouter that what I've been shooting to need something more. Although I've heard of some after market replacements that people rave about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12