Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Winchester Lo-wall 22

Boolit Master

Winchester Lo-wall 22

I attended a 22 Silhouette match several weeks back an might be hooked. I was thinking the Lo-wall would make a perfect gun for this since it has an exposed hammer. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these? Those Rams are out at 220yd.
    They let me shoot my Model 12 Martini for fun and it actually did quite well considering I was shooting bulk ammo.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Once upon a time, I had vintage Winchester Winder Musket .22, and thought it just right for deliberate shooting (as opposed to rough hunting jump shots.)

These days, of course, there are some companies offering new Low Wall's in .22 that might fit your plans - but I would check their weight against what's needed for silly-wet.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Best old single shot for the .22 rimfire is IMHO the Stevens 44. The way the breechblock closes lets it press the bullet deeply into the rifling the way the bolt guns do. Winchester can't do that. Ballards and the Stevens 44 1/2 are second best choices.

With a LOT of luck (and $$$$) you might find a Stevens 417, which was the last iteration of the 44 family. They were considered in their day to be as accurate as the Winchester 52s and the Remingtons, but they were clumsy to use in prone position, so weren't as popular.

A new barrel, properly fitted and chambered, any old .22 caliber 44 action would be nearly as good. And probably cheaper in the end than a Low Wall of any persuasion.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    They're not cheap, but they make excellent rifles.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I attended a 22 Silhouette match several weeks back an might be hooked. I was thinking the Lo-wall would make a perfect gun for this since it has an exposed hammer. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these? Those Rams are out at 220yd.
    They let me shoot my Model 12 Martini for fun and it actually did quite well considering I was shooting bulk ammo.

Bob
    Bob,
    Like you the first BPCR silhouette match I shot several years ago, they let me shoot my Martini. If I'd had better ammo I may have done even better than I did. One individual there gave me a brick of better stuff after the match and boy did it make the Martini shoot. After that day though the bug that bit me infected me severely, be CAREFUL!!! As mentioned the CPA / Stevens 44-1/2 is a very competitive 22, plus if you so chose the CPA especially - it can be had with switch barrels/breech blocks so you can shoot all disciplines of the BPCR with just one rifle... I have a few 44-1/2's and shoot them occasionally, but my favorites are low walls and Ballards. Something about the way they hold, and the way they look on the line (I only have a few of these... including as pietro mentioned a Winder) My favorite Low Wall was a Winder with the cannon ball insignia and all - someone had cannibalized all the parts. I bought the bare action and built one from the ground up, making several (most) of the pieces. It has close coupled triggers, both flat and coil spring combo for the hammer, a 9 o'clock extractor, my breech block and firing pin and a few other misc. tricks, plus a gain twist LH SS barrel from RKS. I have shot this competitively out to 400 yards and when I do my part, it will do everything my safe queens 40X or Anschutz 54 will do... My current rifle build is a Ballard and I'm working some of the bugs out of it, it shoots well but still has a ways to go to equal the Winchester. My advice or for what it's worth, 2¢, find a Low Wall and if everything is sound with it, get it! If the barrel looks bad, a liner or new barrel breathes life back into these wonderful rifles - and you'll look good!
    Greg

I’ve got a Rem RB, was 25rf , barreled with a 513T Rem 22lr. I’ve got Lyman front and I don’t know what make of receiver sight. I shot silos with cross hairs in front and bullseye with loupe insert. I have a hair trigger and that is a real help. Normally a Win or Stevens would beat out a RB just over lock time/ hammer fall.

Vendor Sponsor

Hey Bob, Shootinlead gives some good advice. Everyone has really, but I'm thinking about the choice of rifles here.
    A lowwall (a real one) action can be the start of a great rifle for the best price.
    22 BPCR Silhouette.
    It is a really fun game!
    Stevens 44-1/2 is about the best plunk your money down - they will deliver you a match ready rifle, deal to be had. It is the fast way to get going.
    Ballards may take work to find or build on up but are very well worth it as your second rifle. Start shooting now and work on the Ballard over time.
    The Winchester low walls can be and are is as good a match rifle as either of the other two mentioned and may be a lot easier to find and less expensive to acquire.
    They are much like eating popcorn - once you start it is hard to stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resizeand cropDSCN2116.jpg  
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 06-17-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: fix the typos
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Above is one each CPA 44-1/2 match 22rf
    A Ballard also set up for 22 BPCR Silhouette
    on the bottom is a Winchester set up especially for my son who does not shoot it now that he is 16 and found out about cars and girls. So I shoot it too!
    I am not sure which is the more accurate as all shoot tiny groups with match ammo.
    Pictured are the correct size chicken, pig and turkey to be shot at 50m, 100m and 150m. The ram was taking his union break and was not available for the photo.
    If you get to the point of wanting to build something, feel free to give me a call or start with a PM.

Greg is right - you can get the bug!

BTW- the suggestion of going with a Stevens 44 action is very good. They do make up into very accurate rifles. Unless custom stocked, at my size and long arms I like a 15 inch LOP but willl get by with 14", the little 44's are just too small to be in the running for me.
    Chill Wills

The buttstocks of the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 are so close to identical that with minor work they will interchange. Hence so is the L.o.P. -- Just sayin'
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

That is good to know.
    There are a number of resurrected 44's shooting the hotly contested 22 BPCR silhouette winter matches we have here in our area and they hold their own shooting against very high dollar rifles. It is kinda fun to see.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Chill,
    Nice looking trio!
    Here's photo's of my latest duo, the low wall and the ugly Ballard. The low wall is a shooter and I have to admit it would look a lot better if I would put a finish on the metal and maybe do something with the wood... The Ballard has had more done towards finish - maybe that's why is doesn't shoot as well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200616_121852830.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	263729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200616_122021320.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	263730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B100.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	263731
    So Bob, take the plunge! we are a support group!
    Greg

Vendor Sponsor

Nice Greg. I think you need a full time stock maker working for you.
    Did you case color the striker Ballard yourself?? Nice colors!
    Chill Wills

Curious. Is there black-powder .22 ammo commercially available? Or are people rolling their own? Disassembling factory ammo, replacing the powder, and breech seating a bullet? A 44 would have an advantage there; it will breech seat small bullets using nothing more than a plugged case, which no other action I know of can do.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Hey Bob, Shootinlead gives some good advice. Everyone has really, but I'm thinking about the choice of rifles here.
    A lowwall (a real one) action can be the start of a great rifle for the best price.
    22 BPCR Silhouette.
    It is a really fun game!
    Stevens 44-1/2 is about the best plunk your money down - they will deliver you a match ready rifle, deal to be had. It is the fast way to get going.
    Ballards may take work to find or build on up but are very well worth it as your second rifle. Start shooting now and work on the Ballard over time.
    The Winchester low walls can be and are is as good a match rifle as either of the other two mentioned and may be a lot easier to find and less expensive to acquire.
    They are much like eating popcorn - one you start it is hard to stop.
    I really like the Martini but it doesn't have an exposed hammer.
    I love the CPA, but have a tough time justifying a nearly $3000 rifle for 22 Silhouette. Yes it can be used with the switch barrels but I already have a Hi-wll, Shiloh 74, 74 Pedersolii and a 78 Pedersoli along with a Roller. All of my big bore stuff is covered. Now if I had started with the CPA it would be a no brainer. SOOO many options and so little money, especially this year.
    Covid hasn't done much for my business or my retirement account.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    on the bottom is a Winchester set up especially for my son who does not shoot it now that he is 16 and found out about cars and girls. So I shoot it too!

Pictured are the correct size chicken, pig and turkey to be shot at 50m, 100m and 150m. The ram was taking his union break and was not available for the photo.
    If you get to the point of wanting to build something, feel free to give me a call or start with a PM.

Greg is right - you can get the bug!
    Been there done that. My Godson who I started out with at 10 shooting pistol and hunting was Junior State pistol champ for 4 years running. When he turned 16 the same thing happened. By the time he was midway through college he came back and has hunted and shot BPCR for the last couple years. He is 41 now.

Bob

Boolit Bub
    Phil,
    I knew of one fella that was loading black and BS'ing in his 22rf. Not sure of the ingredients and haven't seen him in a long while. Far more work than anything I want to tackle. I bought some of the primed cases last winter, made swaging dies and loaded a few 22's. Going to have to happen much later in life - like when I can't get around anymore... hopefully that's about 40 years from now when I hit the century mark...

My boys did the same things guys, we called it hooked on fumes... perfume and gas fumes... the oldest is back and has dove down this hole the same as his father, kind of nice having family to share building and shooting experiences with.

Chill,
    Thanks, the Ballard was one of Rodney Storie's castings I did and the color case is a result of my efforts. I won't confess how many it took to get where I'm at now but the magic of the art is coming around finally. Attached a picture when it first came out of the quench, what a thrill!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B84.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	263739
    Bob,
    I have a few folks corrupted that shoot with us here locally and coerced them in to buying Steven's 44's in a 22rf configuration. One was bought off of a forum, another at a local gun show, and yet another couple each got theirs off GB. There's four of these folks shooting them and in comparison to what some of the rest of us are spending and shooting, theirs was a fairly low budget and they shoot right with us. So look around and it may surprise you what's out there.
    Greg