Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee load master

Boolit Bub

Lee load master

so I've seen many mods to do but that would be the first/most important mod to do in your opinion. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    You are right, there are lots of mods you can make. I have tried some of the mods and bought a couple that had some mods already done to them.

I see the following as some of the most beneficial things you can do (not necessarily mods)

1) Reduce friction where possible.
    - Polish the bottom of the shell plate and the ribs in the carrier that the shell plate rises on.
    - polish the part of the carrier the case slider rides on.
    - remove any burrs from the primer feeder parts.

2) Keep it clean. A dirty press can become a nightmare.
    - decapping brass off press goes a long way to eliminate the crud that will cause problems.
    - take the time to clean the press about every 1000 rounds or so.

3) Know your brass.
    - make sure you dont have brass with crimped primer pockets or even worse a piece of brass that uses a Berdan primer.
    - decapping off press, removing crimps and cleaning up primer pockets are all part of this. Once you have a batch of brass that you have prepped, dont mix it with unprepped brass.

The above is a good start to having an enjoyable experience with the LoadMaster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    my best mod was to to put an "adjustment" screw in the frame where the primer arm/lifter goes thru the frame. You can adjust your primer holder/lifter to be even with the primer feeder so it won't jiggle around and fall off or turn over.

4-40 screw.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screw.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	263444
    Last edited by hpdrifter; 06-10-2020 at 12:36 AM.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Bub
    I bought the lee app press at same time so I plan on deprime wet tumble. Then load ive been using a rcbs jr press for years

Boolit Master
    Timely thread. When I get my cast 9mm loads where I want them I'm getting either a LM or Pro 4000.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    my best mod was to to put an "adjustment" screw in the frame where the primer arm/lifter goes thru the frame. You can adjust your primer holder/lifter to be even with the primer feeder so it won't jiggle around and fall off or turn over.

4-40 screw.

Name:	screw.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	263444
    One of the used presses I purchased has this model along with the magnets attached to the bottom of the primer arm and the bolt to actuate the primer arm. I was going to try to do this mod to a couple other presses, but I found having the brass prepped reduced my priming issues so I never pursued it after I tried to drill the hole in a broken carrier and failed miserably.

Most of the time that I have a priming issue its becuase I short stroked the press for some reason. Short stroking can happen when a case tips over, a case rim is too thick to feed (happens with some 40 s&w Winchester brass) or the bullet falls out of the feed fingers.

One other mod I recommend is to add lights. There are a couple different styles you can find on Ebay. One is mount in the center of the turret, which requires the center to be knocked out. The other style is the UFO Led strips than adhere to the press frame around the turret. The UFO strips are much brighter.

Boolit Bub
    Ranger I was going to try one of those cheap USB cameras/endoscope looking for powder charges and do the led no primer mod too

Boolit Master
    OK, for a light I needed to find a universal as I mount/swap-out presses to same spot on my bench.
    I bought/use a "sewing machine" light I bought on Amazon, search it and you'll get many different lights, mine has it's own power supply/mag base/on-off switch and sell for $16 for 2
    I put some weight into and empty power jug, taped the cap shut, and put the light on top, it's very portable.

I never liked that the priming on top turned the 5 station press into a 4 station, so that 3 link chain hooked over the primer arm was my attempt at bottom priming
    The primer feed escapement made using that chain fiddly to use so I just pre-prime now, and moved the powder measure to station 2.

Name:	@press.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	263462
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Mine loaded the best with a Dillon collator and Hornady bullet feeder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeeclipseman View Post
    Ranger I was going to try one of those cheap USB cameras/endoscope looking for powder charges and do the led no primer mod too
    I've done both of those as well.

For the led no primer mod the keys are A) to make sure the led is aligned right under the primer pocket and B) not have too much light from above. After I added the brighter lights to the press to see everything, it was almost impossible to see the LED light coming through the flash hole. I tried various LED's (green, red, etc) and that didnt change anything.

I also have one of the usb/wireless cameras and and a samsung tablet that I have used. One of the big contributors to missed powder charges can be issues with the pull back chain (especially with the auto drum) or using really small charges with certain powders (Titegroup is one that is bad about this). For most calibers I dont use the pull back chain any more, and have all my measures set up with their respective "autoreturn" which has virtually eliminated missed powder charges. The exceptions being calibers such as .38 Special and 356 Mag, where a double charge might not be noticeible I still use the pull back chain and the camera.

Last edited by ranger391xt; 06-11-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Correction regarding LED No Primer Mod and light from above.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Mine loaded the best with a Dillon collator and Hornady bullet feeder.

I have watched you video with envy many times. I hate stopping to refill the case and bullet feeders becuase it disrupts my rhythm. I'm collecting parts to make my own case feeder, and maybe someday I'll get a 3d printer and do the bullet feeder.

Boolit Bub
    I got the 6s shell plate had a buddy machine it to fit the 9mm case perfectly. I'm goin to see how that works

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Timely thread. When I get my cast 9mm loads where I want them I'm getting either a LM or Pro 4000.
    I have had the 1000 the Loadmaster and the auto breech lock pro / pro 4000 they each have advantages but in order of easy to setup and use for me it's the easiest is auto breech lock pro / pro 4000 - 1000 - loadmaster
    On all of mine I deprime off press and prime on the press.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by orangeeclipseman View Post
    so I've seen many mods to do but that would be the first/most important mod to do in your opinion. Thanks
    Not necessarily a mod, but mounting the press so it is rock solid and does not move was the best thing I did in terms of getting the press to operate reliably.

Boolit Master
    Installing a die in the primer station really helped any priming problems I encountered , most of my setups have a expander die in that position .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdatlanta View Post
    Not necessarily a mod, but mounting the press so it is rock solid and does not move was the best thing I did in terms of getting the press to operate reliably.
    Yes i agree I have a nice metal stand to mount it too. It will break before anything flexes

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Installing a die in the primer station really helped any priming problems I encountered , most of my setups have a expander die in that position .
    yea im doing mainly 9mm so I found people take the 6s shell plate and chamfer it so 9mm fits and it lines up great with the primer ram

Banned
    for lighting, I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and emlarged the hole slightly with a hole saw.

Boolit Master
    One of the things that helped me with priming on my loadmaster is not so much a mod to the press but using a case for a setup tool take a case and open the flash hole up to the same od as the primer pocket when adjusting the press you can look down through the hole with the case in the shell holder to get perfect alignment with the primer punch.
    Not my idea I don't recall where I got it to give credit.

Boolit Master
    The bolt that adjust the primer depth needs to have the top of the bolt ground flat to remove those little bumps .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast