Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Tripplet and Scott

Tripplet and Scott

I have a Tripplet and Scott rifle. I have been shooting it with rimfire cases from Dixie Gun Works. It shoot well and accurately out to 200 yds. Haven't tried out any further yet, but I want to this summer.

If you have shot these brass cartridges, what do you do when .22 blank primer hole becomes loose? That's my question.

Thanks in advance

Lost

Nothing you can do but chuck 'em. Are you using nailgun charges? Or .22 blanks? These swell within the adaptor-case volume, and drag like crazy when you come to punch 'em out. That's what opens up the hole.

I've been using "acorn blanks" which are very short. ( about 3/16" ) These don't drag in the hole - you can literally push 'em out with finger pressure on the punch. Never damage the hole in the adaptor.

Easiest places to find acorn blanks is dog-training suppliers. Amazon stopped carrying them a couple of years ago. Sometimes known as 6mm Flobert blanks. Trainers use 'em in starter pistols to accustom the dogs to the noise of firing. https://www.gundogsupply.com/walther...orn-blank.html

My application is .32 Long rimfires. Guys who use nailgun charges in the .32 RF don't add any powder. Using the acorn blanks, I add 1.8 to 2.0 grains of Bullseye. They're copper, not brass, so won't take anything more than black-powder pressure.

Here's another place that's cheaper: https://www.margosupplies.com/us-en/...bellot-blanks/
    Last edited by uscra112; 06-10-2020 at 12:41 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I thought I would have to throw it out.
    I use the acorn .22 blanks. They work very well. They seem to flare out just a tad inside the case.

I have an email into RCC brass about their 56-50 brass. Anyone use 56-50 brass from RCC

You're already using the acorn blanks? How many cycles has it taken to loosen up the hole? I'm only at about 6-7 firings, but I've got two dozen adaptors, so I'm not using just one or two over and over.

Wondering if the adaptor(s) you have are too small for the chamber at the back end, and are spreading on each firing. That would loosen the hole. (I admit I'm grasping at straws here) I've never even seen a Triplett & Scott, but I do observe that some of the post CW guns that have passed thru my hands have had remarkably oversize chambers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Some will use the light blue Loktite thread retainer to hold them in, I found superglue to work well also and no waiting on set up time. Brian Issacson came up with the simplest fix, before inserting, just squeeze the blank with a pliers to oblong/out of round it enough to make it stay in the hole. That trick probably won't work with the acorn blanks, they are so short but works well with longer noise blanks and .22 primed cases or 22 shells with the bullet pulled and powder dumped. Any of those loose cases seem to still work well when fired as the case obturates to seal just fine.

Just occurred to me that using a hammer and punch to "stake" the case radially over the primer hole might help extend the life of the adaptors that are loose.

It also occurs to me that your adaptors are machined from solid, so there's none of the work-hardening that occurs at the head when a case is drawn from a coin. The adaptors I'm using are formed from .32 S&W brass, and are thus already harder in the head.
    Cognitive Dissident

I have shot each case I have about 10 times. I only have 6. I didn't know if they would work. I have heard about problems that people have had problems. I got mine from Dixie Gun Works. But they are out of stock. I sent an email to DGW and the reply said they are not sure if they will get them back in stock.

Lots of good ideas on how to make the acorn primers hold fast.

I think this is what you want. Expensive! But beggars can't be choosers.

https://www.rccbrass.com/product/56-50-spencer-rimfire/
    Cognitive Dissident

I sent an email to RCC Brass, I cant afford to buy on a whim and have it not fire in my rifle.

Not at those prices!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    This won't work with Acorn blanks but will work with longer ones. A .22 mag fired case is a slip fit over a .22 LR case. You could use a fired .22 mag case as a bushing to upsize the blanks. You might have to open up the hole in the case a little.

You could even solder the bushing into the hole in the case.

Another thing you could do is tin the opening in the case. Basically add a coating of solder in the hole.

One other idea is to peen the case head to close up the hole. Take a punch the size of the ID of the case and put it in the case mouth and put the case on an anvil and hit the punch to move the metal.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

That good information about the .22 mag case.

I thought using solder and tinning the opening.

I would like to make my own cases, but I don't think I can drill them accurately enough.

Problem with the case you need is that there's no modern parent to make it from.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Lostinidaho; I have an email into RCC brass about their 56-50 brass. Anyone use 56-50 brass from RCC[/QUOTE]

Is the rifle you're wanting to shoot a Spencer? If so and you're wanting to shoot rim fire ammunition in it you'll need to shoot it as a single shot. I converted my Spencer to centerfire and use cut down 50-70 brass as the reproduction 56-50 brass rim diameter is too small for the extractor in my carbine to work. You could probably make 56-50 rimfire cases by using 50-70 brass by turning a piece of brass rod to a press fit in the primer pocket. The case could then be drilled for the rimfire blank primer. I've not tried this but it should work.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

He's got a Triplett & Scott - per the thread title. Not something you want to desecrate by converting it to centerfire.
    Cognitive Dissident