Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conflicting info, now I'm not so sure. (Primers)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    All load manuals will tell you that if you change any component you’re to drop down and work back up.
    That's a CYA statement made by the load manual's lawyers. Makes perfect sense, and if I had such a business I would make that statement myself. HOWEVER, in the real world, when using light loads and making such a change, common sense tells you that it won't make diddly squat difference pressure-wise.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I’m not missing anything. All load manuals will tell you that if you change any component you’re to drop down and work back up. I realize that very few people do this. But that’s there prerogative.
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    That's a CYA statement made by the load manual's lawyers. Makes perfect sense, and if I had such a business I would make that statement myself. HOWEVER, in the real world, when using light loads and making such a change, common sense tells you that it won't make diddly squat difference pressure-wise.

Don
    So let's say I'm loading 3.6 gr of Clays under a 200 gr SWC. I switch from Winchester to CCI primers. Am I supposed to drop BELOW the recommended starting load and work back up? 3.6 gr Clays is the starting load.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Great point, Burnt Fingers.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I’m not missing anything. All load manuals will tell you that if you change any component you’re to drop down and work back up. I realize that very few people do this. But that’s there prerogative.
    Yeah so? Its CYA. They are saying if your load is max & you swap, then drop 10%. I've done a lot of reloading, well over 400K rds in 40y & several wildcats with no data for. A 10% drop is quite a lot. From max it is reasonable, from midrange, out of context. Everything has to have a context. So you did miss that.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    So let's say I'm loading 3.6 gr of Clays under a 200 gr SWC. I switch from Winchester to CCI primers. Am I supposed to drop BELOW the recommended starting load and work back up? 3.6 gr Clays is the starting load.
    Just my point. No, its a starting load, why would you drop a starting load for any change in components?
    Again, if you are at midrange or below, swapping any component wont move the pressure needle much. A diff case brand, bullet shape or primer wont likely affect anything. The exception would be something like 150gr SWC & then trying to sub a 148gr WC. That might get interesting.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I have the same observation... Dropping 10% means from the max load, but the manuals don't make that clear. Have to throw in the caveat, don't drop that much with H110/W296, but then one should already be using a mag primer.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Ever notice when you feel like doing a little reloading you never have the components specified in the load recipe you want to try.
    The case is different, the primers can't be found, the bullet used is unobtainable, the only thing you have on hand is the powder.
    And it not the same lot used in the manuals recipe.
    Start low work up. But I suspect most start in the middle range an decide which way to go after the test firing.

Boolit Master

While on tour of the CCI plant in Lewiston ID some years ago I asked our guide, who was a supervisor there what was the difference between their standard primer and their magnum primer.
    He said that the priming mixture in the magnum primer was formulated to burn several milliseconds longer than the standard primer.
    Testing was done with several miles of [det-cord] primer mix run out into a long circle with an electric timer on each end to measure the time it took to burn x # miles of primer mix one end to the other.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    While on tour of the CCI plant in Lewiston ID some years ago I asked our guide, who was a supervisor there what was the difference between their standard primer and their magnum primer.
    He said that the priming mixture in the magnum primer was formulated to burn several milliseconds longer than the standard primer.
    Testing was done with several miles of [det-cord] primer mix run out into a long circle with an electric timer on each end to measure the time it took to burn x # miles of primer mix one end to the other.
    Very interesting. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    There is a bit of conflicting info on this site. Some say reduce the load by 10% and work it back up, others say there is really no difference and say load and shoot. .... I load .38 special using 148 to 155 grain bullets lubed with Tac-1 and 3.1 grains of Bullseye. That is a very mild load and it don't rattle my wrist at all and can go through a hundred rounds easily. If it ain't broke, there is no need to tinker with it unless the primers can make a difference.
    First, the 10% reduction you mention is understandable legal boiler plate for loading book makers. It's meant for those who are loading up around the ragged edge of a KABOOM. That reduction is not needed for low or mid-range charges, you are (effectively) already at or below a 10% reduction.

"Can primers make a difference?" Sure, in fact everything can and does make a "difference". So your question becomes, "Does this change matter enough to matter?" I don't believe using mag primers in your light loads are enough different to matter for safety but, if your accuracy degrades it would be good to experiment with your charges a tad.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've found that CCI 550 primers can be hard to ignite in striker fired pistols. In a gun that is hammer fired, it's easy to give it a second try, striker fired it's a PITA. Same gun, same load with CCI 500 primers fired 100%.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    primers are £45x1000 over here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12