Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cast bullet reloading manual??

Boolit Buddy

cast bullet reloading manual??

so besides the Lyman Manual is there any others out there that have good data in them?

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    yes, speer, hornady,nosler.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

rcbs book is good also

Boolit Master
    If you are speaking about cast bullet data, then the Lyman manuals, the RCBS Cast Bullet manual and the Lee manuals are a collection of all powder manufacturers data. The data in the Lee manual is a bit sparse on bullet information and cartridge OAL specifics.

The Accurate powders manual has a lot of cast bullet loads for different rifle and pistol calibers
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Lyman remains the best by far whether it's the cast bullet manual or the regular manual that has cast bullet data. I don't know how many manuals RCBS has published; I have #1 and it is all RCBS data using their moulds. Not a big book, but useful. I don't have any new Speer books, but #13 has some handgun cast bullet loads using RCBS moulds. Be cautious with the Lee data- information on the bullet used is often sketchy and they may not have tested the data. Another source may have done that.

Boolit Master
    The Cast Bullet Association has a giant compendium of cast boolit making and loading data “for beginner and expert.” No substitute for a basic loading manual, but once you’ve read one of those and want to experiment further, the CBA book is very good.

Boolit Master

Modern Reloading, by Richard Lee, has lots of cast data. I don't know if I agree with everything he says (he seems to think he has figured out a lot more than everyone else, or at least in his mind) but no denying the data is there.
    Last edited by Patrick L; 06-09-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My go to manual first is lyman 4th cast. After that I look at the powder mfg. manuals. I think I own at least 40 different ones from the late 60's to current. If you are working the top end then the powder mfg. manuals is the one I pay the most attention to. I do use all the others and have found some good combinations but a fellow would do well with just Lyman 4th cast manual for run of the mill loads.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

There is a difference between the dedicated cast bullet texts/manuals and a reloading manual that includes cast bullet data. While there are several texts on casting bullets, Lyman by far is the most popular. More than just load data there is info on the actual casting methods, alloying, sizing, lube, reloading, and shooting before the actual load data (recipes)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Lyman is the 900 pound gorilla.
    Not just for the data, there's other articles in there about other aspects of shooting cast that are good to know.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

1.)Lyman puts out several (about 8 or 9 ) different manuals , if you are new to casting and looking for cast boolit data then the one you want is the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition ... nothing but lead loads in this one .
    In this manual are 16 additional Chapters with a wealth of information on all aspects of casting .

2.)If you can find one , the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition also has a wealth of information on cast bullets not repeated in the newer 4th Edition .

3.)The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual number 1 is another cast only book .

These three manuals and info from Accurate Arms , web site - free reloading guide- or new manual, make up my first go-to sources of cast boolit load data .
    Older Speer manuals contain some cast data and some with swaged lead boolits ... some manuals , from the days when cast boolits were popular, contain a surprising amount .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    i was basically looking to find something to add to my lyman #4 because there is a few things it don't have in it.

what all is the CBA handbook as far as load data? basicly looking for more data. for pistol powders i have on hand, and bullets too

Boolit Buddy
    I will add Pet Loads to the mix. Not specifically a cast book but it has lots of good cast data. More then any modern general reloading manual. It's a big book and not cheap but it's worth it.

Moderator Emeritus

I'll add my 2˘ in here.

Yes Lyman #4 is top notch and is first on my list.

When I'm looking for more data using other powders than Lyman lists, I will go to the RCBS, then the Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual, then Lee's second ed, then Hodgdon manual, then Alliant manual.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Isn’t the RCBS a old out of print manual?

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Lyman # 3 cast boolit manual ,my
    no 1, I got a reprint .

Boolit Master
    Download Lyman cast bullet 3rd edition

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

Download Lee first edition Modern Reloading

https://ia801808.us.archive.org/15/i...ichard_Lee.pdf

Download Handloaders Digest

http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-content/upl...est-1962-S.pdf

Boolit Master
    The NRA put out a cast bullet manual (and one supplement) many years ago. I have a copy, but I don't think it's still available from them. Here's a link to it, and you can download it:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/225468029...rison-NRA-1979
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Prefer the Lyman #3 but it does not have data for many of the newer cartridges, the Lyman #4 does. The NRA cast books don't have very much data but are worth it for the technical data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast