RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastco
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Enfield 45acp barrel problems

Boolit Man

Enfield 45acp barrel problems

Purchased a lee enfield receiver and a Rhineland Enfield conversion kit. The barrel will only threat about 1/2-3/4 of a turn into the receiver and locks up tight. Anyone have any input on why this might be?

Boolit Master

manufacturing tolerances.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Verify the barrel is 14TPI first. Might be running into 55 degree v/s standard 60 degree threads. If you have a 1"-14tpi bottom tap try chasing the receiver threads. If the barrel still won't screw on get a 1"-14tpi split die to chase the barrel threads. Adjust the die until the barrel will thread in.

Boolit Master
    Unless you are an experienced machinist.,I would suggest you try lapping the threads together with fine (400grit) lapping paste........Barrel threads are quite soft and one pass with an incorrect die ,and you will have a very loose barrel/tenon fit.......generally there is a very small margin between what you have and a good tight thread fit.......However ,be very sure to remove all abrasive before fitting ......Might be a better idea to use something like the "Timesaver" abrasive that disappears as its used.

Boolit Buddy
    Receiver built to lower end of tolerance, barrel built to higher end of tolerance? Check to see if there are any dents in any of the threads. I have used fine grit valve grinding compound, hold barrel in padded vise and cut a piece of board to fit theough the stripped receiver, keep working back and forth, and eventually the parts will fit.
    Make doubly sure to wash the grinding compound out of the lug recesses of the receiver as not doing so can over time lead to polishing the back of the bolt lugs/receiver lug interfaces.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

received a Rhineland Enfield conversion last week and went together rather easy ,had to turn off a bit on the lock nut to get the head space right.Not too keen on the cap screw mag release button but will do something with it later .
    All in the kit makes a neat lil plinker
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMLE 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	264317

Boolit Buddy
    coxa2,
    A lot of good advice already given but have you taken a magnifying glass and flashlight to inspect the threads on the barrel and in the receiver to see if there's deformities or debris? It only takes a small, very small flake of metal or slightly bent thread to jam the threads tight.

The fix may be as simple as using a dental pic to remove debris or a light touch with a small triangle file to fix the offending thread. Grinding compound (as been mentioned) could be used if there's a damaged thread in the receiver.

Again, I would first inspect the threads before doing any work.

Was out today shooting my conversion with two of my sons.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 07-03-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Any issues ejecting? Im build a kit now. I ran across a post that shows a spring loaded push button screw on the side of the receiver. Does anyone have info on this?

Boolit Master
    You could paint the barrel thread with Dykem and see where they rub; screw it in and read the where/how the dyes rubbed off but in the end it might not matter. Assuming it's the correct pitch you'll still end up running a tap or lapping compound.
    I'm pretty sure I have a 1"-14 tap if you'd rather not buy one.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.