Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: It's a start

It's a start

In the spirit of the thread about converting a Lyman rifle to use a Chambers lock, I started something similar. After hearing about Kibler's new locks, I ordered one of the Siler looking ones. Supposed to be a month out, we'll see. I'm hoping I can use it on my old Dixie squirrel rifle, but if that doesn't work out I'll have a good start on a new custom longrifle build. Can't lose either way!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    In the spirit of the thread about converting a Lyman rifle to use a Chambers lock, I started something similar. After hearing about Kibler's new locks, I ordered one of the Siler looking ones. Supposed to be a month out, we'll see. I'm hoping I can use it on my old Dixie squirrel rifle, but if that doesn't work out I'll have a good start on a new custom longrifle build. Can't lose either way!
    way to go!!
    I have a "Buchelle" lock (I bought cheap off a guy that was learning the hard way how to build a flinter) its well made and a good sparker - wondering if any of you guys know the maker ?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I used a Kibler on my last build. They have a huge pan on them. After some experimenting I found putting your prime close to the vent about 1/3 the width of the pan will prevent hang fires, which you certainly get if you fill the bottom of the pan. So far it has been trouble free and reliable.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

That's good to hear! Thanks. Just waiting patiently for it to show up...

The new lock came in, no way it's going to work in the Dixie rifle so I have the beginnings of a new build. Now to keep saving for parts...
    One interesting thing, there's no fly on the tumbler so it seems the new rifle won't be using set triggers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    way to go!!
    I have a "Buchelle" lock (I bought cheap off a guy that was learning the hard way how to build a flinter) its well made and a good sparker - wondering if any of you guys know the maker ?
    If you are referencing William Buchelle, he was a rifle maker in the last 1/4 pr the last century. I am not aware of him selling locks.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    If you are referencing William Buchelle, he was a rifle maker in the last 1/4 pr the last century. I am not aware of him selling locks.

Kevin
    Kevin
    just thought you might be interested - or have some further info
    The name is spelled with one L not two as I wrote before ----Buchele----
    There is a number 39 stamped on the lockplate inside
    Its a decent lock, the frizzen has nice action with a roller - fly in the tumbler - no stirrup on the mainspring like you would see in a manton or durs egg (that smooths and speeds the action on those locks some more I think)
    The lock plate, frizzen and hammer all nicely colour case hardened - its not a cheap thing and it works nice .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buchele lock.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	267738

The that washer thing on the frizzen pivot screw I added - if we shoot in competitions here a flash guard is mandatory