RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Tinks To High Heaven

Tinks To High Heaven

Did you ever have that really cool cast reloading, cartridge design or rifle or revolver idea that you wished you'd tried but never did? I let myself be talked out of some and ended up regretting it.

There was the bolt action cast deer hunting rifle using 30-06 cases expanded to be as long and as large of a boolit diameter as workable in a given action... and head space on the case mouth as a 45ACP. Years later I read about somebody doing it. I ended up instead creating a smokeless reincarnation the 9.5x60R using 45-70 brass. But I still wish that big rimless had made it into my development notes.

Another idea was the .40 caliber Security Six using cartridges made from 30-30 brass. That was the late 70's before gun writers were paid to discover the magic of .40 calibers, but having what amounted to a souped up version of 38-40 in a Security Six without suffering from 38-40 brass appealed to me. Like a dummy I let a gunsmith talk me out of it. Never did look at whether a lever action would feed such a thing without hanging up but that was on my list to do.

Any how, it's all fun and I've been having a blast for half a century.
    What were your ideas that should have made in to the range?

Boolit Grand Master
    Thought about a 44 on a 350 rem mag case. Chambered in an XP100 and used for Silhouette and chambered in a rifle, for elk hunting. Never came to fruition. On other ideas I have had, some have come to fruition. Did build a 44/284 and used in IHMSA and built a rifle and killed my first elk with it, a 30-357max with a 30-30 length neck, a 223AI with the reamer run in deep and use 204 ruger cases and yesterday, ran a 6.5 TCU reamer in deep to use the same 204 ruger cases, a kind of 6.5 tcu+. Gonna go to the range today and try a few shots and see how it performs in the next few weeks. May even try it with the 7mm TCU. 308 blown out full length and made into either a 44 or 45. 45 Raptor is here nowadays though, so close enough.
    I am sure I will come up with other things and just hope I live long enough to try them.

Boolit Grand Master

Gary reeder does one that I always wanted, on the GP100. It is his 300 GNR (or 30 GNR?) with something like a 9" barrel. I always thought that would be such a compact (compared to a TC Encore) and light recoiling gun that would shoot like a lazer.

Twenty years ago I had a rented 22-250 reamer and my 38 Arisaka 6.5 Jap too close to another on the bench...... yep, it resembled the "new" 6.5 Creedmoor. Too bad the bore condition wasnt all that. It sure made the brass situation better because I have Lots of 22-250 And .250 Savage brass at all times. The fired brass had a funny little shoulder surface ring but hey.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I still want to get a Desert Eagle in 50 AE necked down to .357

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    How about a shorty 45/70?. Shorter than a regular 45/70 but longer than a 45 Colt. Frank

Boolit Master
    Before the 444 Marlin there was a rimless 44 based on all those surplus '06 cases.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    How about a shorty 45/70?. Shorter than a regular 45/70 but longer than a 45 Colt. Frank
    Would that be the 45-60 Winchester for the 1876?

Boolit Master
    It has been done on and off for the past 100 years but I also would like a .40 caliber rimmed straight case in a Colt SAA replica. To my mind a 10mm auto case length with a rim so I could roll crimp it would be perfect. Maybe name it after Boser or Eimer out of respect, though their cases were longer (about magnum length). I'd like the shorter case for efficiency and because I'm not chasing power.

I'll probably never do it but who knows?
    Rule 303

Boolit Bub
    10.75x57 has always piqued my interest. Would be a great round for a 93/95 Mauser action, since it was developed during that time period for those actions (and apparently for the '88 action as well). Essentially a 57mm mauser case, expanded to a .423" bullet. I soothed my desire by making some .444 rimless brass, then tested the premise in my .444 Marlin lever gun. Worked fine! a tight case neck was enough to keep full power 300 grainers from pulling out of the case in the mag tube. Still would like one in a bolt rifle, if for no other reason than to go with the .404.
    BTW, the .40 rimless pistol round I believe was the .40G&A, developed by a couple of Guns and Ammo writers back in the mid '70's. Originally built to be used in a Browning Hi-Power.

Wanted a 458 lott case necked to 429 or 378 wby necked to 8mm
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Got a Lyman adjustable length ".44 Core Mold" that when paper patched will just fit down a .400 diameter bore.
    Want to try it muzzleloaded in the .223 single shot that was rebored to .41 Magnum.
    Some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    It has been done on and off for the past 100 years but I also would like a .40 caliber rimmed straight case in a Colt SAA replica. To my mind a 10mm auto case length with a rim so I could roll crimp it would be perfect. Maybe name it after Boser or Eimer out of respect, though their cases were longer (about magnum length). I'd like the shorter case for efficiency and because I'm not chasing power.

I'll probably never do it but who knows?
    was thinking the same to use on a small martini ,did run some 41 mag brass through a 10 mm auto sizing die and mocked up a couple of cases with some semi wad cutters and is going to be doable

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post
    was thinking the same to use on a small martini ,did run some 41 mag brass through a 10 mm auto sizing die and mocked up a couple of cases with some semi wad cutters and is going to be doable
    A friend of mine and I did the same several years back. There is a short section at the base that the sizer die can't reach. That would need to be turned off or the chamber made larger there to allow chambering. Also, Starline at least was making some .41 Special brass that is more what I would prefer compared to magnum length cases. Or shorten those to 10mm length. It is all doable, just takes money and a good gunsmith.
    Rule 303