MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken thumbhole stock

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Broken thumbhole stock

I fumbled the ball & dropped my Swede with thumbhole stock. Now I have a Swede pistol . Help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no,,,

That might be fixable, but it'll take some one a whole lot smarter than I am.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Looks like time for a new stock.
    Doesn't look like enough meat there for a reliable repair.
    Doesn't mean you can't try though.

Might be fixable depending on how clean it fits back together. If it fits together clean, Elmer's dark wood glue would be my choice. Then drill for pins and use brass and epoxy. If it ain't clean it might be able to be shortened slightly to make it clean and then the same. Just pends on how bad it is the approach I'd take. Personally I think I could fix it.

What Bazoo said, might work. I've never tried fixing a thumb hole but, I would give it a try.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

LOTS of handgun and knife handles there. Time to restock that Swede!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

if you dont care if the patch looks a little ruff, use gorilla glue and glue it back together. worth a shot if nothing else just to get you by til a new stock can be had.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Brownells Acraglas is your best bet. Should be a good permanent fix as strong as new. Looks like with the jagged break there is lots of surface area for the bond.
    Last edited by Deadeye Bly; 06-08-2020 at 09:59 AM. Reason: took out a double word

Boolit Master
    The stock is repairable.
    But you shouldn't just butt glue it back together.
    It needs some blind reinforcement pins to help reinforce it and keep it aligned.
    In the past , I have repaired two and they worked out fine.

Boolit Master

Broken thumbhole stock

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    Brownells Acraglas is your best bet. Should be a good permanent fix as strong as new. Looks like with the jagged break there is lots of surface area for the bond.
    How long does unopened Acraglas last? Bought a box years ago, not stored well. Heat, not freezing. Hope it’s still good. Unopened glues sure don’t last.

Boolit Master
    it is fixable. when i was in the "stocksmith" business i glued maybe 8-10 stocks that were in 2 pieces. hopefully the pieces will re-join tightly (or close to it) for glue use acraglass. above all never use gorilla glue, please! test your older acraglass before using by mixing a small batch. if everything seems like it will work; your next problem will be setting the 2 pieces (now one piece) vertically so that the original contour is still straight. or horizontal if you can shim it properly to keep it straight. one issue with this kind of break is to keep acraglass from running out. this is why i would recommend acraglass gel. and, if it works, pin it afterwards.. PLAN AHEAD!!

Boolit Master
    That looks particularly challenging. You might be able to pin the lower break after initial glue up but maybe not the top break. I'd just resign my self to a general re-contour, re-sand and refinish after the repair. Get some decent stock bedding epoxy and tint it to about the wood color. Use maybe 1/8' or 1/4" steel bolt all thread pins for top and bottom. Carefully eyeball drill holes with a handheld drill for both ends of each pin. Might have to be a little oversized and wallowed slightly to allow for any misalignment. Make sure to check alignment before starting to use compound. Apply compound to pins and holes and rig some form of clamp or binding to hold together until setup complete. Allow 24 hrs or so. File and sand to original contour as close as possible and refinish. May have to feather both the compound and the finish if only re-finishing part that is around the repair.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Grand Master

Dowell pins are something you need. They fit into the hole on one piece and have a sharp point on the other. This marks the spot to drill the other hole. Woodworking catalogs typically carry them. I've had my set for years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I'm thinking https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ and just be done with it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I repaired the stocks using blind pins by using 3" long Wood Screws.
    I screwed the one end into the stock half the length sticking straight out to be set into the other part of the stock.
    I then cut the head off the screw and then drilled a hole into the other part of the stock.
    I drilled the hole into the other part of the stock a little oversized.
    After fitting , I applied the glue or epoxy and was sure to fill the drilled holes.
    When the screw was inserted into the hole , the exposed threads on the screw shank acted as rebar and would grip into the glue.
    I do the same method to attach Nose Caps on stocks and have never had one come loose.
    The blind screw gives you a better finish than the other types of screw in pins that you put in After the wood is glued back together.

Boolit Buddy
    It can probably be repaired with pins and epoxy. I'd use threaded pins and it looks like the bottom break will be the tough part as it's broken on an angle. The top looks to be more a straight across break, so will align easier and possibly hold easier.

One thing is sure, you don't have a lot to lose by trying to fix it.

Boolit Buddy
    Pins and Acura-glas, followed by a refinish. Or you could call Richard's Micro-fit and order a new "Wildcat" stock if you are stuck on that pattern. That appears to be one of RMF's stocks.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master

Drill it for brass reinforcing rods and then glue with acraglass and it will be as trong as new. Tint the acragalss to match the finish and it won't look too bad either.

Boolit Master

Broken thumbhole stock

I would love a full length stock on it but wifey frowns on $$ spent on my hobbies. I’m going to have to repair... it needed a refinish anyways, along with a new buttpad. Bubba sanded it off on the bottom. I have around an inch or so of wood to work with. Sure felt sick hearing it hit the floor and “Crack!”

Boolit Grand Master

Darcy would just extend the upper tang on receiver all the way back into cheek piece I think some 1/4 inch all thread and acraglass gel along with some careful drilling could make a repair safely, the swede isn't going to destroy it with recoil.
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast