RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Temporary Backstop for Rifle Shooting?

Let me repeat my earlier suggestion: Use sand for backstops! One feet of sand will stop any handheld firearm (except, maybe an RPG)
    Bales and stacked wood may be alright in a pinch, but they will quickly develop a "tunnel" if you keep firing at the same spot - not so with sand, it will just keep swallowing those bullets.

This guy did some actual testing:
    https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...sands-o-truth/
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    piles of sand bags is the answer then.who would have thought? the army was right.

Boolit Bub
    I used railroad ties, 2 rows, one row half buried so no gaps. Covered it with plywood.
    After a few years, I was shooting and swore I saw bullet strikes across the field. The whole dang middle was gone. I couldn't believe how destroyed it was. The only possible casualty could have been a cow in that field, but I took no chances. Borrowed a dozer and made a berm.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    Let me repeat my earlier suggestion: Use sand for backstops! One feet of sand will stop any handheld firearm (except, maybe an RPG)
    Bales and stacked wood may be alright in a pinch, but they will quickly develop a "tunnel" if you keep firing at the same spot - not so with sand, it will just keep swallowing those bullets.

This guy did some actual testing:
    https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...sands-o-truth/
    I used the link above when I designed my portable bullet trap. Sand is cheap and the most effective. My trap sits on one of those cheap garden wagons and is about 2’ square. It has absorbed everything even at short range. .308, .450 Bushmastef etc.

The frame is 2x10’s on the bottom and sides and 2x6 on the top. The narrower top makes it easy to fill and top up if needed. I used 3/4” horse stall mat from Tractor supply for the front that slides in front slots. I get six pieces out of a 4x6’ mat that costs under $40. 9 1/2” of sand has been all I need.
    Don Verna

One feet of sand will stop any handheld firearm (except, maybe an RPG)
    I disagree but 1ft can stop a lot of them.

50 BMG API will go through a 1” steel plate leaned up against an 8” diameter oak tree and over 3 feet deep into the earth behind them both (longest rod I had to run down the hole).

There are a few charts here that show you’ll need more than a foot for .30 cal.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...-00-2/Ch14.htm
    Last edited by jmorris; 07-06-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123