Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dang Henry rifle has really upset me

Boolit Mold

Dang Henry rifle has really upset me

I bought my son a new h001 Henry 22lr. Took it downstairs, unboxed it and we did a full strip and clean. Very nice, different than any lever action I have but overall impressed with the action and simplicity, one little aluminum curly q where it wouldn’t have mattered.

We went out back and loaded up 15 into the tube and I brought out my Marlin 1897 cowboy 22lr, I have a lot of rounds through this gun and can plink a 12” steel at 100 yards off hand consistently. I have it stoned internally and once returned it to marlin to reset the chamber as it just wasn’t perfect. Point is I would say this rifle is as good as it can get and receive compliments on it by anyone that shoots it for its action and accuracy, a real joy to shoot.

I beat him on the dueling tree, the first few cycles, then he started getting ahead of me, then he started beating me. Ok, I picked up the pace and out ran him, then he out ran me. Now is when the Henry started upsetting me, my son was outrunning my slick marlin consistently and I started having FTE problems trying to keep up with the Henry.

Boy boogered up the Henry feed block somehow loading the tube so we went in the basement and cleaned them both up and got the round out of the Henry ramp that had nosed down.

Fresh metal and lube and the Henry outran the marlin again. Accuracy was dead on on both, the problem was the henry just fed and ejected at a speed the marlin couldn’t run at. By now my knuckles are getting sore as we are well into,the second 500 brick.

So I shift over to my pump action Winchester gallery gun in 22wrf, when I was his age I shot the thing crazy, it was my grandfathers and he shot it out, had it bored and relined back to 22 and the chamber redone to WRF, this is a fine rifle, smooth sharp and built for this kind of shooting.

It couldn’t make it either, not as many FTE as the marlin but still occasional FTE with the brass resting angled left on the lift block still lipped under the ejector. Since the game we were playing was most standing at the end or when one player had all 6 paddles turned a single hiccup with the weapon and you lost.

Other than the loading snafu the son had that got the round nose down on the feed ramp of the Henry which was his hiccup that we still haven’t duplicated or figured out it has ran flawless.

Back to back in my hands I have to say the Henry is smoother and lighter to cycle and a quicker action into battery than anything I have ever played with.

Anyway about 1500 rounds into the afternoon I was done, he had a new toy and was still plugging along pinging the 6” round steel at 125 yards pretty consistently.

As I walked away making sure he didn’t see me grinning until I had my back turned he said, hey can I rifleman on the tree? Sure I said, don’t get your hopes up and start slow as you find the range I don’t want you overshooting real high.

He then proceeded to walk it up left to right at 12 yards from the hip held like Chuck Connors would hold his 44 flipping 4” paddles pretty consistently. By the time he had ran a few tubes through it he was cycling that Henry fast enough to the point I seriously think I’m going to have to get the 10/22 out to give him competition.

I am seriously impressed the the initial quality impression and overall design of this comparatively cheap rifle stacked up especially against my marlin.

I believe by the end of this my wife and myself will likely have Henry 22’s of our own and the marlin and Winchester will work their way into the back of the safe with other beautiful tweaked rifles that I love to get out and play with on occasion but are not the go to rifles they were for such a long time.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Henry Golden Boy just recently. The accuracy from mine leaves a little to be desired, but I'm sure that is just me. I was a boy a long, long time ago.
    Last edited by Froogal; 06-09-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Congrats on discovering Henry rifles - who (BTW) stand behind their guns, new or used, original owners or not.

The company owner, Anthony Imperato, quickly responds to any emails from a Henry owner, sent to info@henryrepeating.com

I've owned/shot/hunted a .22LR Henry H001 since I bought it new over 10 years ago for $199.

It has NEVER failed me in terms of finish, accuracy and dependability in all that time.

Early on, I installed a Williams receiver sight meant to replace military Mauser 98 rear sight blades ($25), which zeroed using issue front sight (with it's tip painted orange) in less than 5 shots.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought one for $200 years ago. Nice rifle for the price IMHO.

I can shoot an 1873 or Marlin 94 loaded with CAS loads faster than the Henry.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Have to agree w/ the OP. I've got a Henry .22 lever and it's just amazing.

My nephew has a .22 mag Henry in MY safe. I think I'll look for some ammo and see what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't shot it as much as I've wanted to but I got one last year and love it. It's my first Henry but won't be the last!

Boolit Master

Found a Used Henry Golden boy .22 cal, at a local gun shop, bought it for my son. He had a few hundred rounds through it and started having problems with failure to fire!! A little investigation, broken firing pin. Sent an email to Henry, they said send it back to them. The only way I could tell it was the same gun was the serial number. They went through "fixed" what they saw wrong, along with the firing pin. The gun came back slick, smooth and shiny. Made me Henry fan from that point on!!

Moderator Emeritus

I actually prefer my Marlin to my new Henry. Marlin just fits me better but the Henry is a nice rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    My Rossi’s and Winchesters have been way more reliable than my Henry and Marlin. Henry’s customer service is great. But it really has to be or no one would buy one. Just my opinion and experience.

pietro

can you post more pictures of the mounting details on your rear sight set up, Please
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Moderator Emeritus

Rgmcfarland,
    That's a great story and a good review. I am a fan of the Henry, as well.

Because I like my Henry Big Boy (41mag) so much, a year or two ago, I bought a H001, specifically for a future present for my granddaughter. A local farm store had them on sale for 269, but were out of stock when I went in. I then went to my favorite LGS, there price was 299, but they let me pick through their stock to find the one with nicest looking stock.

I've shot a few hundred rounds, of various brands of ammo, to get a feel if it was picky about brands. It was not, and was happy that it cycled most any brand quite reliably. Off-hand shooting accuracy would pretty good, reliably hitting pop cans, but I was shooting on the pistol range (just shy of 25 yards). I didn't do any bench shooting to check accuracy, as I really don't like the sights, but I figure I'll keep it all original for my granddaughter, and make any adaptations when she is able to start shooting it, in 4 or 5 years.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Dang Henry rifle has really upset me

I guess I must have gotten a just so so one; I won a h0001 at a Tip Banquet (actual cost about $1000) and it would not feed. Further investigation showed a burr on the face of the receiver block. Instead of sending it back I figured I’ll just clean it up. I was surprised to see it was just a cast aluminum receiver and the paint was just okay. When I re-assembled it you could see where it met the trigger group and I couldn’t solve it by re-alignment. I know it’s not apples to oranges but I like my BLR 22 better even though it’s a bit small for my 6’1” frame.

Also at about the same time a friend was shooting his Golden Boy and had the firing pin shoot past his head when racking the action. He found it and it turned out that a roll pin that retains the firing pin broke.

Neither one of use pursued warranty as they where simple fixes but it kind of left a sour taste in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    pietro

can you post more pictures of the mounting details on your rear sight set up, Please

Here's how I attached a Williams WM-96 Aperture rear sight, originally meant to replace the Mauser 96 longleaf rear barrel sight upper portion.

I bought the sight directly from The Williams Gun Sight Co. ($25 then, $28 now)

https://williamsgunsight.com/product...perture-sight/

I first removed the foremost 1/4" of the sight's forward tongue to dispose of the groove there, then smoothed & colored the raw cut with a black Sharpie.

I D/T'd the top of the receiver cover (after removing it via the 5 attaching screws) for a common 6-48 scope mount base screw.

I drilled a hole in the sight's shortened forward tongue in the center (side-to-side) and about 1/4" from it's front edge - then I drilled a countersink in the top of that hole to accept the bottom of the scope mount screwhead.

I attached the sight & ground off any screw threads that protruded down into the bolt raceway.

The sight's elevation adjustment is a screw down through the rear of the sight body, which bears on the top of the receiver cover to move the aperture vertically - but I soon realized that the entire sight could move sideways if knocked, pivoting on the front attachment screw.

To stop any chance of the sight pivoting, with the sight still mounted atop the receiver cover, I removed the vertical adjustment screw, ensured the sight was centered side-to-side & carefully ran a small drill bit through the screw hole just enough to mark the top of the receiver cover there.

I swung the sight aside & made a slightly deeper dwell in the receiver cover with the tip of a larger drill bit, then re-installed the vertical adjustment screw.

The receiver cover went back on the gun & for a clean sight picture I replaced the rear barrel sight with a dovetail slot filler I made from the male dovetail portion of a scrounge box longleaf barrel rear sight.

This is how I altered the scrounge box rear sight (different rifle, same principle)

E-Z-Peazy……

Last edited by pietro; 06-12-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

pietro

thank you for the reply.. it does look a E-Z-Peasy project.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee