Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Henry Big Boy Steel problem

Henry Big Boy Steel problem

Bought a used Henry 45 Colt Big Boy Steel. Love the rifle. Have to have peep sights, so didn't really do anything but function test/shoot it with factory sights. Bought a set of Skinner sights: .750 high front blade and rear winged peep. Love the setup - BUT!

With the high/long front blade - it is very obvious that the barrel has "droop,"/is either turned into the receiver a little too far, or front dovetail is cut off square! Same basic problem as the Remlins, I believe. Regardless, windage at various distances moves from a NE (close in) to SW (further out) angle. Pretty pronounced. Two loads. 25 yd group location compared to 10 yd group location is 2" left. IMO, 2" windage drift over 15 yds is pretty severe.

So... anyone seen/heard of this with the Henrys? And/or, any experience with Henry's warranty? Thanx

Boolit Master

Give them a call and see what they say. The should stand by their work.

ANY Henry owner can speak directly to the horse's mouth (HRA owner Anthony Imperato) via emailing him directly at info@henryrepeating.com

IME, there is no question that they will fix your rifle's issue.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

OK - think Occam's razor may have cut me a good one! Could not get a pic of the front sight thru the peep (cell cam will only focus on the closest object). So I brought out the machinists thingys to see if I could measure/"prove" what the problem was. And yeah, I did. The long tall front sight blade is bent. Had to use a square and a level, and level the receiver first. But upon doing all that (and needing really 4 hands), I am convinced that the very tall (.750/intend to file it down) front sight blade is bent. So, back to Andy to get a new blade - as that is WAY cheaper and easier than sending the gun to Henry and have THEM refer me back to good ol' Occam!

Update: going to go the simple/easy route first, and try a replacement front sight from Skinner. As fully expected, they are replacing the sight. Sending the replacement right out. Did ask for mine back/want to confirm it is bent. Excellant Customer Service from Andy and crew as always! I really hope it is bent, as it is the easy fix. If it is not, then I have to revisit the possibility of a bad dovetail cut.

Update. Skinner supplied a replacement blade. The one I thought was bent went back. They confirmed it WAS off 90 deg vertical. It wasn't bent, but said it looked as if it had set in the machining tray slightly off, so got machined that way. It was ever so slight; said they had to look at it for about 20 long seconds to tell. I am not sure how you could tell unless it was mounted and you looked at the sight picture. Secondary good news is, I am not loosing ALL of my mind! AND, Skinner Sights customer service was Outstanding, as usual!

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it was an easy fix (and another plug for Skinner )
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    OK - think Occam's razor may have cut me a good one! Could not get a pic of the front sight thru the peep (cell cam will only focus on the closest object). So I brought out the machinists thingys to see if I could measure/"prove" what the problem was. And yeah, I did. The long tall front sight blade is bent. Had to use a square and a level, and level the receiver first. But upon doing all that (and needing really 4 hands), I am convinced that the very tall (.750/intend to file it down) front sight blade is bent. So, back to Andy to get a new blade - as that is WAY cheaper and easier than sending the gun to Henry and have THEM refer me back to good ol' Occam!
    I was roommates in college with a guy who had a Remington 511. He claimed the barrel was bent so wouldn't shoot straight. Knowing how hard it was to bend a barrel I bought it off him for $20. Yup, front sight. Got it straightened and it was a great rimfire for me
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum