Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating goodbye to my SIGs

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Contemplating goodbye to my SIGs

The last couple of weekends I have been shooting some of my S&W revolvers, 38, 357, and 44 Mag along with my P220 and P226 SIGs. I have come to the conclusion that I just can't shoot the autoloaders as well, plus I hate shagging brass, so am contemplating turning them into S&W revolvers. I have been a revolver fan for 60+ years so perhaps that has some bearing on the issue.

I guess what I'm asking is if turning the SIGs into S&W revolvers makes sense. I like my SIGS but I LOVE my S&Ws so it would not be too painful parting ways with the SIGs.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't, you would regret it. I too prefer my revolvers, but a nice semi auto like a Sig is something to hold onto. Especially the P220 and P226.

Buy more, don't sell.

That’s what I did.

I'd think twice about that.

The SIGs will feel like the family dog does when it gets dropped off and left at the dog pound.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Smart to get out of SIG anyway because they have stopped servicing older models and the company is in dire straights:

SIG Sauer GmbH, based in Eckernförde, Germany, is to close down. According to German media outlets, SIG Sauer GmbH’s shareholders are unwilling to invest further funds in the struggling European arm of the company. SIG Sauer GmbH’s Managing Director, Tim Castagne, told German press that the 130 strong workforce at Eckernförde will be laid off this year and the German plant, which has been in operation since 1951, will close.

To be clear SIG Sauer GmbH is a separate entity to the US-based SIG Sauer, Inc. Both the German arm and US-based company are owned by Lüke & Ortmeier Holding Gruppe. The company also owns Swiss company SIG SAUER AG (formerly Swiss Arms). SIG Sauer was initially formed in 1976, with the partnership of Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft (SIG) of Switzerland and J.P. Sauer & Sohn of Germany. In the US SIG Sauer pistols were initially sold under the name SIGARMS before it was renamed SIG Sauer, Inc. in 2007. A number of factors have led to the downturn in SIG Sauer GmbH’s fortunes, their exclusion from Bundeswehr small arms programs due to ITAR restrictions (as the company’s firearms are principally developed in the US, by SIG Sauer, Inc). In a press release, shared by numerous German media outlets, Managing Director, Tim Castagne, said that “SIG Sauer [GmbH] is systematically excluded from the tender because of its international orientation.” The impact of the European Union’s increasingly hampering firearms legislation and recent legal issues have also been factors. The ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic has also no doubt played a part with sales slowing significantly in 2020...

(SIG Sauer was initially formed to get around Switzerland's restriction on the export of firearms.)

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...y-closes-down/
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I too, much prefer S&W revolvers vs, autoloaders, but if I were getting rid of my autoloaders, my SIGs would be the last to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    My S&W 69 44 is up for sale. My Sig P-220 is not. I like my revolvers and shoot them a lot, but it will be a while yet before my age drives me away from the accuracy of the P-220. But were I to sell it, its replacement would not be a current manufacture Smith. "Better an old gun that works...."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have a Sig 1911 that I love. i should get a commission because 2 people shot have shot my sig 1911 have gone out and bought themselves one. I had a Sig P229 that was a well made gun but just did not fit my hand and was uncomfortable for me to shoot. I would have been happy to trade it for a model 24 or a nice P&R smith. Bottom line handguns are highly personal and life is too short to mess with guns you don't really like.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    You can always change course again later.

I consider the P220 to be one of the best .45 auto pistols ever made. So personally I would keep that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I enjoy shooting revolvers much more than semis, but I keep my Sig around in case things get serious.

Boolit Bub
    The worse my back gets the more I enjoy my revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master

The P226 and P220 are about as iconic a sig as a person can have. I’d keep them and enjoy them from time to time.

Moderator Emeritus

If you get some health issues like loss of feelings in your last three fingers you will find revolvers harder to shoot. I would hold onto the Sigs.

I there is no issue on use, like self defense, I would off the SIGs and get S&Ws in P&R era guns. I’m looking at new 210 right now. I have Gold Cup, S&W 52 and HP comp presently. A PP is only gut buster I own, auto or revolver.

Boolit Master

Keep the Sigs, take the grandkids, or a worthy youngin to police the brass

Boolit Buddy
    I'm the wrong person to express my opinion, because I owned 2 Sigs about 15 years ago and I never understood the hype. They were perfectly fine pistols but offered nothing that really got me excited about shooting them, and the high bore axis really made them far less interesting than some of their competitors. I let them go and replaced them with 19/2011s, S&W M&Ps, a Glock, and several revolvers, including a few S&W revolvers. I don't think you'll regret letting them go at all, but I also doubt it'd be a life changing decision to keep them if you plan to use them. I do think giving up autoloaders entirely would be a bad idea, so if that's the plan, I would say don't do that.

Banned
    roysha - this sounds like a personal decision that only you can make.

I'll toss out some thoughts here: You don't have to sell a gun to buy a gun. If you want another gun, save up the money and buy exactly what you want. You can keep the SIGs and just not shoot them. If you need to sell the SIGs to purchase a replacement, you probably shouldn't be spending that money at all. I've certainly sold & traded guns to purchase other guns but that was done because I wanted to, not because I needed to.

I own a few SIGs and I've owned many others. Same with S&W revolvers. I think it goes without saying that quality isn't a factor when comparing those brands; both manufacturers are capable of producing high quality firearms.

It sounds to me......that this isn't a SIG v. S&W issue as much as it's a Pistol v. Revolver issue. I will caution you that these interests can be transient. I have been through many phases of interest when it comes to firearms.
    I've been through the black rifle phase, the target .22 phase, the shotgun phase, the 1911 phase, the DA revolver phase, the wonder nine phase (that one was kinda fun ), the high power target rifle phase.........you get the drift. And most importantly - I've been through some of those phases multiple times !!!

So, my advice to you would be to sit down, field strip each SIG and clean it as well as you can. Carefully reassemble it and use the grease/oil of your choice. Package it up in some appropriate storage container. Disassemble the magazines, clean and grease them as well. Put everything in the back of the safe.

If you go two or three years without shooting them; pull them out, inspect them and then......PUT THEM BACK IN THE SAFE .

Boolit Bub
    I think they both have their place. For paper punching I prefer a
    S&W revolver. Keep one of the Sigs.

Boolit Grand Master
    if you don't shoot them that itself is no reason to be rid of them
    keep them you will have a change of heart
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast