Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Caster? Inventory Value of Your Molds

Banned
    Food for thought---

For those of us that have many molds:
    how many have you used in the last week, month, year, 5 years, EVER?
    How many do you use regularly
    IF you are like me you have a handful of "go-to molds" you've developed sub MOA loads for.

Like most of us, I've bought a fair selection of new / custom molds, I've also bought/traded for collections of molds many of which I've never used or don't have guns for.

To get any kind of return on a mold, especially "custom molds" ie NOE, Accurate, MiHec --- you have to find an AVID caster who wants/needs the mold most average caster will never pay the price even for what a used "custom mold" is worth.

Unless you know the seller well or get a chance to try the mold, there are no guarantees to the instability of a used mold regardless of how it looks.

Guess what I'm saying is it's hard to extrapolate the value of a used mold and even harder to find a buyer for what you think it's worth. --- My 2 ¢

I have an Exel spreadsheet for my: rifle molds, Pistol molds, and black powder molds.
    Most of these molds have been cleaned, oiled, wrapped in VPI paper, labeled and stored in HF multiple bin storage cases, and tucked away in a filing cabinet.

YES, I should sell many of them but I have the disease that many casters have --- I may get a gun that needs that mold
    Last edited by Conditor22; 06-11-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Something like 150 molds here....I do keep book what I have. But few of those are bought for "collection". Some collect stamps some old molds. Or molds..
    I got few old Ideal, Ohaus, Winchester molds, like .457 round ball mold etc. I have already newer version but I liked old molds. All which I got works flawlessly even better than some "new" molds. That time things was built to last longer I guess.

Have a daughter she probably don't need those molds and casting equipments when I'm gone but hope those find good home then. But not planning to go anywhere soon 😁

Boolit Master
    Fail to find the connection between a "Serious Caster" and someone that has a great quantity of molds that he never uses. To me, a serious caster is someone who has a group of "quality" molds that he uses regularly. Just MHO.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Having over 200 molds, I prepared a spreadsheet of the molds and costed out the value for each. Mind blowing what a collection can add up to ... $$$ in the bank for the kids when I die
    I have perhaps a few more... I'm in the 350+ bracket. In just the past several weeks, EIGHT friends have passed -- none, incidentally, from Covid-19 or related illnesses -- ranging in age from 26 to 88 with, bion, the modal age group from 62 to 66 years young. As I am 72 -- the "wheels" are turning re "all my 'stuff'".

Having (me) dealt with mom & dad's house; my wife with both her parents' and a maiden aunt's -- all who have posted here vis the "night-mares" and real value-losses are more than correct! However -- in my case -- I have yet (Thank you!) to receive a, "You are going to be dead in 'x' months or less" as a few of my friends (cancer) did, so I both still BUY, and keep stuff -- including a few moulds I have yet to use...
    "Maybe this summer"... but, oops, I've said that before... and... one of the Honcho's on this site will start a group buy with I mould I'll HAVE TO HAVE! This adds to life's fun; with all the no-fun things... looking at my wee mould collection does put on a smile.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I am 65 and have, maybe 12 or 16 molds. I also have a 22 Hornet and am trying to decide if I need to buy a custom multi cavity mold or just buy 1 or 2000 jacketed bullets and figure they will run out about the time I do.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 06-17-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Currently I am just south of 100 moulds, that is for 7 rifle calibers and 13 pistol calibers. Almost all of them get multiple sessions worth of use during the winter months. There are light to heavy, plinkers to serious shooters and some that are just plain fun to shoot to much of. I cannot afford to collect, if I find a mould does not get used either because it under performs in the gun it was meant for or I do not like casting that particular bullet... it is gone. A few are "rare" and a few are +100 years old and most are either Lyman or Saeco. Many have be bought right, many have been traded for and a couple I just paid way to much for because I had a use for it. Think Lyman 215gr. 358 DC, but you just can't find that one. I even had to open it up to hit .3595 diameter.

There are still a couple that have alluded me... 358101 and the 311465. I doubt I will find them as the first is way to expensive and the second just does not seem to appear often.

My oldest daughter is learning casting and reloading, I am not sure what level she will work up to. It is hard now days to get a teen to commit to anything real, even though she is a good kid.

Boolit Buddy
    45 was too many molds for me, so I've sold off the little used ones. Of course I'm eyeballing a .45 292 grain from Accurate for my 45-70's so that count will likely go up by one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    45 was too many molds for me, so I've sold off the little used ones. Of course I'm eyeballing a .45 292 grain from Accurate for my 45-70's so that count will likely go up by one.
    Might I inquire as to what mold you are looking at? I'm considering another 45-70 Accurate mold in the 300gr region.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I read comments about "quality" and "custom" molds with a bit of puzzlement; I wonder how such qualities are supposedly gauged.

IMHO, a "quality" mold is one that lends itself to producing high grade bullets. BUT, our mold makers have no control of several crucial points required for good bullets: good casting technique, a good alloy running at the right temperature, proper fluxing are three things that immediately come to mind.

Multi-cavity molds should be very consistent in cavity size. I (and many others) have found that Lee's inexpensive aluminum 6 cavity molds are highly uniform; at any cost, is that not high quality?

Some folk want "something different" but for nebulous reasons. Our mold makers aren't dumb. They make large quanities of certain mold weights and designs because thousands of users have found them to be very good and, therefore, they sell well; are those common designs not "high quality " molds? Or, are some people seeking something "different" simply to be different?

What is the value and purpose of expensive "custom" molds? Popular molds have looong benefited from decades of careful use and on-target experimentation; after all, today's bullets didn't get where they are by whim. So, I have to wonder, what do those who want to make what are trivial changes to existing cast bullet designs that are already known to work well hope to accomplish. ??

Boolit Master
    I read comments about "quality" and "custom" molds with a bit of puzzlement; I wonder how such qualities are supposedly gauged.

IMHO, a "quality" mold is one that lends itself to producing high grade bullets. BUT, our mold makers have no control of several crucial points required for good bullets: good casting technique, a good alloy running at the right temperature, proper fluxing are three things that immediately come to mind.

Multi-cavity molds should be very consistent in cavity size. I (and many others) have found that Lee's inexpensive aluminum 6 cavity molds are highly uniform; at any cost, is that not high quality?

Some folk want "something different" but for nebulous reasons. Our mold makers aren't dumb. They make large quanities of certain mold weights and designs because thousands of users have found them to be very good and, therefore, they sell well; are those common designs not "high quality " molds? Or, are some people seeking something "different" simply to be different?

What is the value and purpose of expensive "custom" molds? Popular molds have looong benefited from decades of careful use and on-target experimentation; after all, today's bullets didn't get where they are by whim. So, I have to wonder, what do those who want to make what are trivial changes to existing cast bullet designs that are already known to work well hope to accomplish. ??

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post

1hole -- The best answer to your question that *I* can give is to reference a colleague, affectionately known as "Weird Larry." Larry would have an interest in participating in a sport -- say, tennis. He'd buy an inexpensive racket and a blister pack of balls. After a visit or two at the court, he realized that the fact he was not Wimbleton material was not his -- but rather the low-quality equipment he had. So, he'd buy progressively "better" rackets, custom balls -- repeat -- repeat -- repeat... and then, "retire from tennis".
    I suggest there may be a parallel to shooters, KNOWING without any question of a doubt, that new custom mould will either significantly increase their score at the range, and/or guarantee quick, ethical dispatch on any critter -- large or small -- in their sites with it. (I'm on a wait list for a group buy as I type.... not being necessarily immune from this, myself ).
    Plus.... it's fun
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    USSR, the 46-292LP, my Pedersoli Sharps has a light weight hunting barrel and I want a bullet for out to 200 yards maximum at the range. Just something easy on my shoulder. I size to .460 for both it and an original trapdoor rifle.

I have a Accurate mold I purchased a few years ago for a muzzleloader, it casts so nice that Accurate is tops in my book.
    Last edited by rmark; 06-16-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    ... I read comments about "quality" and "custom" molds with a bit of puzzlement; I wonder how such qualities are supposedly gauged...
    Quality, to me conforming to the specifications. If the company says mold XYZ will cast a 358 grain bullet at .473 diameter from alloy #2 than I expect that weight and that diameter (or a little larger) if I use that alloy.

Quality, to me consistency is a must. The mold I buy today must be equal to the mold I borrowed from my buddy to determine if I could use that mold. The mold I buy today must be the same as the one I buy next month to keep as a spare, or the same as the one I have so I can run two molds and not have to segregate the bullets.

Quality, the fit and finish must be up to the company’s standard. When I close the blocks I do not want to see daylight between the halves. Nor under the sprue plate.

Custom, cut to the specifications provided to the mold maker, not altered to something they “think” I want. You mentioned Lee. Once upon a time, Lee was the maker of choice for Group Buys. And then somewhere along the line, Lee started to mess with the specs. Bullets were the wrong weight, wrong diameter or out of round. This is why they are no longer considered for Group Buys, after investing the time, effort and expense to design, draw and have a mold built, to get the wrong mold is intolerable.

Leementing is a process of improving the function of a mold but it is not restricted to that line of molds. I have deepened vent lines or broken the edge of many makers. Polishing cavities is another additional task that while nice if provided by the maker is not beyond my capabilities.

There is more but maybe you get the idea.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    USSR, the 46-292LP, my Pedersoli Sharps has a light weight hunting barrel and I want a bullet for out to 200 yards maximum at the range. Just something easy on my shoulder. I size to .460 for both it and an original trapdoor rifle.

I have a Accurate mold I purchased a few years ago for a muzzleloader, it casts so nice that Accurate is tops in my book.
    Thanks. I'm looking at having the 45-290H made to .460" diameter. Tom says no problem doing this. And, yes, Accurate is tops in my book as well.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post

I suggest there may be a parallel to shooters, KNOWING without any question of a doubt, that new custom mould will either significantly increase their score at the range, and/or guarantee quick, ethical dispatch on any critter -- large or small -- in their sites with it. (I'm on a wait list for a group buy as I type.... not being necessarily immune from this, myself ).
    Plus.... it's fun
    geo
    You may be right. And I suppose it is fun for some folk. I'd rather shoot than pore over catalogs.

My version of quality ignore external cosmetics or even years long perfect consistency for individual products. For molds, my quality bar is how well do the dropped bullets shoot and bullets being the same weight as a catalog says they are - or "should" be doesn't register.

To me, anything falling within 2-3% of advertised cast weight, etc., is perfect IF the bullet shoots well. And, again to me, Swiss watch precision on a mold that won't shoot well doesn't buy anything in competition or the field but I suppose it feels really good as a wall hanger/conversation piece for tennis people like your friend.

Yeah, playing with more and more expensive toys is fun (I like it too) so long as we don't start looking down our noses at others for not spending enough. Most of us know that money doesn't buy accuracy; small groups (1hole) takes knowledge, work and skills and that can't be bought.

Moderator Emeritus

You may be right. And I suppose it is fun for some folk. I'd rather shoot than pore over catalogs...
    ...Most of us know that money doesn't buy accuracy; small groups (1hole) takes knowledge, work and skills and that can't be bought.
    Now it is my turn to comment that you may very well be correct -- however recalling my spending hours and dollars I really shouldn't have, almost a half-century back, when I first got into Bullseye shooting -- poring over Gil Hebard catalog, ad's in American Rifleman, Champion's Choice, and the like -- to purchase any gizmo available to raise my target score ! Not just for the firearm, there were specialized "blinders" which went on eyeglass frames; the Merit device which stuck to a lens; "shooting gloves"; and (I never purchased either) both "shooting jackets" and "shooting shoes". Maybe I, too, was not thaaaat different from 'Weird Larry?"
    (And, my target pistols did go to Clark and Heinie for action work for that extra 'edge', as well!)
    Bottom line, still -- it IS fun!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I'm a caster now 2 yrs and have a small collection mostly mp, 16 to be exact and use each one every time I cast. As to their value well you know the cost of the admittance to the game. To me they're priceless to others not so much they bring much joy to me and entertainment, sometimes I just cast to cast I certainly don't shoot that much, its just kind of exciting to see the molten lead chill on the sprue and then popping open the mould and a newborn shiny projectile pops out. The miracle of creation! always exciting.

Boolit Master
    i have been casting for 20 or so years only have a dozen molds 223/309/358/45-70 so im a beginner.hope i last a few more years as they will be worth nothing the way the world is going.

Boolit Master
    George/Brass: You both bring a smile to my face.

Yeah, sadly, we all have more time for catalogs and hopeful daydreams than we do for the range/fields; I'm not too old to remember that. Again, the pursuit of better things is great so long as we can keep our feet on the ground and not denigrate those who don't follow us as not being as "serious" as we are.

Being "creative" is fun. If you'll forgive me for looking to my Christianity for background as I say this, we are "made in the image of God" and part of that image is wanting to be creative. I've spent many pleasant days being creative with my shooting/reloading, including casting good bullets and loading them for cheaper and better accuracy.

And I love to share what I've learned with others seeking the same things. <><

Boolit Master
    I think how serious one is about casting depends on the product one turns out and how well they perform. Here in America, we tend to equate possessions with expertise. Maybe we should say, "Beware the man with one mold."
    As for me, I don't know how many I have. I told my son that I could cast for years on two molds trying to figure out how to get the most out of the two types of bullets (358429 and 358640) and the loads for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast