Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Help locating acceptable 38 Special load?

Boolit Bub

Help locating acceptable 38 Special load?

Greetings!

Until I can get back online casting my own bullets, I purchased a box of State Line cast 158gr SWCs.

I am using the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 and the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (4th edition) and having some difficulty matching the State Line bullet (an H&G 51) with any of the listed bullets. My questions include:
    a) what Lyman mold would cast a bullet closest to the H&G 51?
    b) since the bearing surface looks similar, could I safely use the data for either the RCBS 38-150 SWC, the Lyman 358665 or 358311?

I am looking to use either WW231 or Bullseye in a 38 Special for use in a S&W Model 686.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Boolit Buddy
    Looking in Lyman 4 right now. I’d do as you suggest in b.. Per the manual 231 has a wider charge envelope as well. That said, can’t that gun handle 357 magnum pressures?

Boolit Bub
    Yes, it is a magnum, so it can handle the pressures. Just looking for a standard 38 Special load.

Boolit Buddy
    I would feel fine using 358311 data for standard 158gr loads. As long as the bullet weight and over all length (OAL) are close I’m fine with using similar data in low pressure 38 special loads. Also, I believe that all 686 revolvers are rated for +p loads, so as long as the loads are standard 38 special loads there should be a wide margin of error.

NEVER use round nose or swc data in a wadcutter load. Wadcutters are seated so much deeper that you can have massive pressure spikes. For example: you would NEVER use RCBS 38-150 data with a Lee 358-148-WC. They are only two grains different in weight but can have vastly different seating depths.

JM

Of more importance than a specific bullet from a certain brand of mold is the weight and design. Any reasonable published load for a 158 gr. SWC should be safe in your 686. That said, you may find some loads more accurate than others, something you must determine for your individual revolver through experimentation.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    In answer to your first question, I myself have a Lyman 358477 that I am very happy with.

Here is a great article about these types of bullets.
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell358477HP.htm

JM