Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding micrometer pistol seater shaving lead

Boolit Man

Redding micrometer pistol seater shaving lead

I have Redding Micrometer seating dies for 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I am shaving lead when seating cast bullets. Some info:

1) Cases are expanded using a Lyman M Die. The outside of the expanded case measures .386. Bullets have a good "press fit" when inserted by hand prior to seating.
    2) These Redding dies do not crimp, per the manual and confirmed via email with Redding tech.
    3) The bullets are commercially cast 158g RN with a flat point, coated with HiTek. All bullets measure consistently at .358.
    4) Using calipers I measure the interior diameter of the Redding die at .380. Conversely a Dillon 357 seater measures at .385. The Dillon die does not shave lead when seating these same bullets.
    5) If I run an expanded but bulletless case thru the Redding seater die, the case mouth measures .380 outside/.358 inside when done.

The Dillon die obviously works for my purposes, but I am more than a bit irritated that my super duper Redding die cannot be used. I exchanged emails with a Redding tech who confirmed this die is intended for jacketed bullets no greater than .357. He suggested I try their standard 357 Magnum seating die for cast. I happen to have one and checked; it too measures .380 same as the micrometer seating die. I tried and it also shaves lead. I am kicking around having the Redding die modified, by opening it up to .385. However I am having trouble locating a machinist locally that can do the job, and I'm wondering if it's worth what someone will charge. I really like the easy adjustability of the Redding die. If I could find a substitute product that lets me do that and is compatible with cast bullets I would just buy it and be done with the problem. Is there a manufacturer out there that has what I want?

Boolit Master
    Have you chamfered the case mouth inside ?
    If you have not it might help .

Boolit Man
    I have not. Good idea, I will give that a try.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Chuck, I feel your pain!!

My Redding micro seater in 40/10mm is likewise too tight in the opening of the die mouth. It closes the case mouth before reaching the seating stem. Really tough to consistently avoid scraping lead.

My micro crimp die had the identical issue and was closing the case mouth with the die body before reaching the crimp plug. It would apply a hard "crimp" even with the crimp plug removed altogether. It was that tight in the mouth of the die.

I sent the micro crimp die to Redding and they opended the mouth of the die a little. It is much better now. They did say that there is a limit to how much it can be opened due to the hardness of the steel. It took about 6 weeks, but it now works for my 10mm cast ammo. I am strongly considering sending the seater to them since it sits on the shelf when I use cast bullets. Shame. Still wouldn't solve the other issue below.

The one other demerit to that seater is that they no longer have choices for different plug profiles. It flat doesn't work for some.

Here is an example of seating issues with the Redding comp seater. The stem doesn't fit the bullet, and closing the case mouth while seating causes a lot of seating force. For those that aren't familiar with the tool, it is not actually designed to crimp. So it can't be"backed out" to crimp less. The mouth of the die body itself is too tight.

I don't think Redding had cast bullets in mind when designing this tool. Very nicely machined, in typical fashion, but obviously designed tolerances for jacketed bullets.

So I went back to RCBS seaters for 10/40 where I can choose from a variety of seating plugs. I have 4 different profiles to chose from.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 06-06-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Man
    Thanks Tater, makes me feel better to hear from someone else with the same issue. I have a Hornady seater that I'm going to try. I believe they make an add-on micrometer stem for their seaters, might be what I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Case mouth chamfering was invented to solve your bullet wall shaving problem.

Handguns aren't B.R. rifles and there's not much reward in trying to load for them as if they are. I've never found micrometer level seating depths to make any measurable "on target" difference in revolver accuracy - seems the jump from case mouth to the lands is much too great for tiny things like that to matter. (But our loading tool makers are quite happy to produce any gimmicks some of us will buy.)

Boolit Man
    So. I chamfered and loaded 6 rounds with the Redding micrometer die. No shavings; thanks onelight and 1hole! I also tested the Hornady die. It is large enough that it does not squeeze the case mouth closed during seating, and their add-on micrometer adjustment plug is under $30 delivered via Prime.
    Is chamfering something that I will have to repeatedly do, or is it one and done for straight wall pistol cases?

Boolit Master
    Once is enough unless you trim the case.
    Glad you found some options.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Case mouth chamfering was invented to solve your bullet wall shaving problem.

Handguns aren't B.R. rifles and there's not much reward in trying to load for them as if they are. I've never found micrometer level seating depths to make any measurable "on target" difference in revolver accuracy - seems the jump from case mouth to the lands is much too great for tiny things like that to matter. (But our loading tool makers are quite happy to produce any gimmicks some of us will buy.)
    You're right that the micrometer does nothing for groups. They are handy for noting seating depths and quicky resetting the die for a different bullet without the trial-and-error of standard seaters. Then returning to a prior configuration in a repeatable way.
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    You're right that the micrometer does nothing for groups. They are handy for noting seating depths and quicky resetting the die for a different bullet without the trial-and-error of standard seaters. Then returning to a prior configuration in a repeatable way.
    I keep a dummy round for every bullet I use in my handgun die boxes. They make excellent "transfer gages" to reset my seater against and the repeatability is quite sufficent for me.

Chuck Perry,
    I had the same problem with my Redding "Pro Series" .38 spec./.357 mag. die set. That set did not have the micrometer seating die. I sent it back to Redding two times (at my expense) & it seems like they did not understand the problem. The 2nd.time it was returned the invoice stated "adjusted to customers specifications". I finally solved the problem by replacing it with a Lyman. Redding makes some great products, but have a problem admitting mistakes (the problem describe & another for me).

I'd like to sell that "Pro Series" set & buy a Dillon set, but would feel bad passing the Redding set off on someone.

Boolit Master

I keep a dummy round for every bullet I use in my handgun die boxes. They make excellent "transfer gages" to reset my seater against and the repeatability is quite sufficent for me.
    Like minds! I do that too since most of my seaters are not the micro type.
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Like minds! I do that too since most of my seaters are not the micro type.
    Revolver loads often have have a quarter inch (or more) travel before contacting the lands. Anyone thinking a few thou one way or the other of seating depth in a revolver is going to measurably change accuracy will have a difficult time proving their belief.

I like gimmicky tools, especially when it comes to accuracy reloading. If someone just walks up and gives me a "micrometer seater" for my .38 S., .357 or .44 Mag I'll take it, smile broadly and say "Thank you!". I'd probably play with it awhile - and I wouldn't throw it away - but I'm sure not going to pay for one!
    Last edited by 1hole; 06-08-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    Chuck Perry,
    I had the same problem with my Redding "Pro Series" .38 spec./.357 mag. die set. That set did not have the micrometer seating die. I sent it back to Redding two times (at my expense) & it seems like they did not understand the problem. The 2nd.time it was returned the invoice stated "adjusted to customers specifications". I finally solved the problem by replacing it with a Lyman. Redding makes some great products, but have a problem admitting mistakes (the problem describe & another for me).

I'd like to sell that "Pro Series" set & buy a Dillon set, but would feel bad passing the Redding set off on someone.
    I wouldn't feel bad about selling it . It's probably not defective it just not dimensioned for seating oversized cast bullets.

I experienced the same thing with .358 cast boolits. After doing a lot of on-line research I learned what has already been explained. Redding builds a very high quality micrometer seating die that only works for jacketed bullets that are .357. Tried chamfering all my Starline .357 brass and it still shaved lead. I sold mine for half of what I paid for it and went back to my old Lee seating die. It works great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    Redding builds a very high quality micrometer seating die that only works for jacketed bullets that are .357. ..... I sold mine for half of what I paid for it and went back to my old Lee seating die. It works great.
    Proving that the "best" of anything isn't always better for every user or in every situation!

Boolit Master
    Proving that the "best" of anything isn't always better for every user or in every situation!
    You got that right !
    The best, is the tool that does the job for our application , it's great to have so many choices.

Boolit Grand Master

I would simply use .357 boolits .
    The Redding die isn't made to seat cast lead .358 .
    Give .357 diameter boolits a try , they might work just fine .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I would simply use .357 boolits .
    The Redding die isn't made to seat cast lead .358 .
    Give .357 diameter boolits a try , they might work just fine .
    Gary
    The problem isn't .358 dia. or .357 dia. . The problem with my Redding seating die boiled down to the fact that it completely removed the bell from the case mouth before the bullet reached the proper seating depth. It'd probably be OK in a pinch if you were loading jacketed bullets & chamfered the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    Just because you’ve installed the Redding micrometer bullet seating plug into your stock bullet seating die body, you must remember to keep the die body turned up off the shell holder at least one turn to prevent the seating die from applying a crimp while your trying to bullet seat.

I turn my Redding micrometer bullet seating plug up about one and a half turns so the scale faces me as I use it.

I bought mine to replace the crude course thread adjustment provided on the standard seating plug.
    It does make die set up much easier as you can preset the micrometer to a predetermined known value to be on or very close to make allowances for different batches of brass not being all the same length. (One day l’ll get around to making them all the same lengths)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast