Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: truck question

Boolit Buddy

truck question

I have a 98 dodge ram truck (gas) when towing or going up a hill and I give it gas the check engine light will come on and start blinking, then go off. I have also noticed that when punching it does not seem to shift, it will get to a bit over 3k rpms the slowly climb not shift until you let off the gas. during this acceleration no real power. (get up and go) any thoughts
    thanks rrh

Boolit Master

Mileage?
    Have you changed the filter and fluid in the transmission?

If it were mine, I would take it a shop that can read the diagnostic codes.

Boolit Master

^^^^^What Tatume said.
    I limped my 2012 GMC Terrain in from about 6 miles out because I kept ignoring the check engine code. My experience is that it won't heal itself, but will only get worse until it is taken care of. It is probably a sensor somewhere regulating fuel flow. I did buy my own check engine reader and purchased the part off line and it fixed mine entirely.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Could it be a plugged up catalytic convertor?

Boolit Master

I have three vehicles with OBDII diagnostic ports. I carry an inexpensive scan tool adapter in each, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and creates it's own wifi signal. With the app installed on my iPhone, I plug in the adapter (key on, motor off), join the wifi channel and open the app. I can read and clear all codes, or use the phone as an extended instrument, with real time readings of temps, rpm, etc.

It helps greatly in making decisions when out on the road, ie, can I make it home or not?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I have three vehicles with OBDII diagnostic ports. I carry an inexpensive scan tool adapter in each, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and creates it's own wifi signal. With the app installed on my iPhone, I plug in the adapter (key on, motor off), join the wifi channel and open the app. I can read and clear all codes, or use the phone as an extended instrument, with real time readings of temps, rpm, etc.

It helps greatly in making decisions when out on the road, ie, can I make it home or not?
    +1

I have one as well but using Android devices instead of iPhone. I love it with one caveat. The extended gauges are handy for full time use in my Dodge diesel but it draws a bit of current when the truck is parked. I went about two weeks without driving it and the battery drained enough that I had to jump start the truck.

I’ve had several older vehicles not shift when applying a heavy load and punching the gas. Don’t know why this is but it is. As far as the check engine light, ditto on getting the codes read. How long does the light stay lit?
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Without reading the engine codes, or taking it to someone who works on them a lot-
    You'll need to start changing sensors, components, etc. one at a time until it runs right again.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    First thing replace the fuel filter, could be that simple. If I were to guess next would be a cat, lots more money. I have the 15$ code reader and app, definitely would help diagnose, but mine does not go deep like the big systems. If you have a shop you trust, check with them. Note, I do NOT trust dearlerships!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    Reading the OBDII codes is certainly a good place to start.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn the throttle position sensor is faulty.

Banned

Fuel filter!

Boolit Man
    I'm guessing fuel filter. You can also borrow code readers from most auto parts stores or they will read the code for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check for a code.
    Most auto parts stores will do it for free.
    Does it idle OK????

There is only one thing that causes a flashing MIL on an OBDII vehicle-type A misfire. Misfire typically shows up first under load so that makes sense that you see it when towing or going uphill.
    Not necessarily an ignition problem, but could be anything that causes a cylinder to not produce power. Some engine computers will also cut out fuel injectors when misfire occurs in an attempt to save the catalytic convertor from damage.
    Agree with the others, get the codes read and go from there. Misfire codes are P030x,
    The x number is the cylinder number. If the code is P0300, it is called a random misfire, the computer cannot identify a specific cylinder as the problem.
    Last edited by wrench; 06-07-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    yep misfire under load can be as minor as fuel quality to engine/electrical issue. Get those codes read and go from there.

Boolit Master
    I spent the cost of 1 dealership visit ($700) and bought a used Snap On Ethos scanner. I spent a couple months looking and Snap On was the only company with consistent good reviews. It was the lowest priced unit that would bleed ABS brakes and do invasive tests like shutting off injectors. You get multiple graphic displays of running systems. I found my ABS problem in a couple minutes. The unit has paid for itself already.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

A good scanner is hard to beat. But even a cheap one will give you some information. Check harborfreight.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

I agree with getting it scanned but I’d replace fuel filter and plugs any way there cheep and you can do it your self if that don’t fix it then a scan will tell you what it is although if your filter has been restricted for a wile your fuel pump may be dying because it’s struggling to keep fuel pressure up

yep, misfire is most likely. my ford loses a coil every now and then and will usually give me a code when it finally dies. but not before

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast