RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shotgun Restoration

Boolit Buddy

Shotgun Restoration

Looking at getting a shotgun restored and wondering if anyone has a recommendation on who to use. If I do it, I want to get it done right. It's an 1894 Remington double barrel. The neat thing is that it is a D grade gun which are really rare. The bad thing is it wasn't treated as a rare gun by whoever owned it. Mainly the barrels are the worst condition. Not much if any of the damascus pattern shows. And there are several dents on the barrels. Overall wood is pretty decent as well as the receiver. The D grades had horn grip caps and buttplates. The buttplate has a few chips along the edges but also not too bad. So I guess mainly I'd want to get the barrels fixed from the dents and have the damascus pattern refreshed. If anyone knows someone competent to recommend, please lets hear it. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Doug Turnbull restoration 585 657 6338

I have heard that Briley Chokes does some restoration work( or knows who does). Shotgun forums would be a good place to start looking.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for Turnbull

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Turnbull would certainly be my choice.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Another good one.
    https://powersmetalworks.com/

Boolit Grand Master
    You might also check with Steven Dodd Hughes. Be aware that in all of the businesses named, the wait time will likely be long and the price will not be insignificant. Good work is in high demand and costs accordingly.

I have two Model 1900 Remingtons, one of which could stand the TLC of a real expert. Unfortunately my champagne tastes exceed my Budweiser pocketbook. Perhaps one of these days...

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Good double gun people are scarce, you might try “Doubleguns” bbs, I think that is the right name. They should be able to point you in a good direction. As Froggie noted, good work is neither cheap or quick. Sometimes poor work can be VERY costly!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Kirk Merrington, in Kerrville Texas, would be worth talking with. He specializes in fine double guns.
    He may have retired by now.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. Turnbull I was aware of and considering. The others I will look into.

Banned
    Is there some sentimental connection to this shotgun?

If there is, consider leaving it alone and just preserving it.
    If there is no sentimental connection, think long and hard about pouring money into a restoration. You will likely spend far more money restoring it than you will ever get out of it. The person performing the restoration will make money, you will only lose money.

While there is a collector's market for some of the finer grade old guns, the profit margin after paying for a restoration is not there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Is there some sentimental connection to this shotgun?

If there is, consider leaving it alone and just preserving it.
    If there is no sentimental connection, think long and hard about pouring money into a restoration. You will likely spend far more money restoring it than you will ever get out of it. The person performing the restoration will make money, you will only lose money.

While there is a collector's market for some of the finer grade old guns, the profit margin after paying for a restoration is not there.
    No nothing special other than being a rare old gun. Not from family or anything. Found it on a local gunshop shelf. It just seems to me its a shame for such a rare gun to be in such poor condition. I dont think I'd want to do a full on look like new again restoration. More just fixing the major damage, bringing back the damascus pattern, and refreshing the wood. Not sure I'd want it recase hardened or the engraving freshened up. Mainly would want it to look like a 125 year old gun that was well cared for but is still a 125 year old gun. I kinda figured it wouldn't be a get rich thing to do, but that isn't why I want to do it in the first place. It'd just be a lot more nice to look at than it currently is.

I forget the exact number now, if there even is an exact number, but from what I remember of the research I did, I think it was less than 50 D grade 1894 made. If anyone knows more on that feel free to chime in.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Assuming there is no serious damage and no parts are broken or missing, the gunsmiths mentioned would be a bit of overkill for your job. Any competent general gunsmith should be able to provide the services you describe. I’m talking about an actual gunsmith here, not just a parts changer (I’m one of the latter and wouldn’t undertake that job for someone else.)

Froggie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    No nothing special other than being a rare old gun. Not from family or anything. Found it on a local gunshop shelf. It just seems to me its a shame for such a rare gun to be in such poor condition. I dont think I'd want to do a full on look like new again restoration. More just fixing the major damage, bringing back the damascus pattern, and refreshing the wood. Not sure I'd want it recase hardened or the engraving freshened up. Mainly would want it to look like a 125 year old gun that was well cared for but is still a 125 year old gun. I kinda figured it wouldn't be a get rich thing to do, but that isn't why I want to do it in the first place. It'd just be a lot more nice to look at than it currently is.

I forget the exact number now, if there even is an exact number, but from what I remember of the research I did, I think it was less than 50 D grade 1894 made. If anyone knows more on that feel free to chime in.

Thanks
    There's nothing wrong with restoring it but unless you're the curator of a firearm's museum, I'm not sure what is to be gained.
    It's not a shooter (at least not with modern loads) and it doesn't have any special value to you.
    While it may have been a rare gun in its day, it doesn't have any particular provenance (didn't belong to a famous person, wasn't used in connection with a historical event, etc. )
    Whatever money you put into it, you're just putting into it- there's no return on that money spent.
    Now, if you just want to fix it up for yourself, that's great but I would suggest you set a budget and stick to it.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-12-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    12ga or 16ga?
    Ejectors or Extractor?

The D Grade is a very desirable gun to collectors and vintage SxS shooters when in good condition. 16ga editions are somewhat rare.
    All the 1894's are ser#'d starting at 100,000 and I believe never hit the 2oo,000 mark.

I'd sign up over on Doublegunshop .com
    https://www.doublegunshop.com/

Then post what you have on the DoubleGun BBS Forum.
    Pics and info, ect. You'll get plenty of comments. They can be a bit tough at times, but a few are truely passionate about these.
    One long time member posts under the screen name of 'Resercher' (also posts on several other gun collecting sites with that name.
    His name is Dave and he is just packed with info and is especially interested in the Remington SxS's,,Model 1894 in particular,

A 'D Grade' posting will catch his interest and no doubt get a reply or more about which way to go with it and some suggestions.

I have a project D Grade 1894 also. Bought off of a flea market table of bicycle parts, auto tools and archery stuff. It's seen a hard life and is missing a couple small parts but have those in hand now.
    A 12ga Damascus with the ribs loose, bbls rusty on the outside, forend looks like it got too close to the wood stove and charred!.
    But it's a D grade,,,,and a project for 'sometime' in the future.
    I'm retired from the gun restoration/engraving biz now. 50yrs, time for some projects of my own.

We restore them 'cause they are there and because we like to.
    Others go fishing or play golf...

Boolit Grand Master
    If I were thinking of the gun in question in terms of monetary value only, I would either send it to a competent gunsmith with instructions to clean and provide minimal TLC, only as required (dent pulling, etc) but strictly NO refinishing! Otherwise, I would send it to Ford, Hughes, or Turnbull, or someone in the first tier of restoration work along with the commitment to spend a PILE of ca$h and the expectation of not seeing it for a couple of years. IMHO, any strategy between those two would likely be false economy.

OTOH, if you want to keep the gun for yourself, perhaps to shoot it with safe, mild, Black Powder loads, you will need to decide for yourself what you are willing to spend to get what you want out of it. My “lesser” Model 1900 may get this treatment because I paid a ridiculously low price for it in a local auction and I want it to shoot in”Classic Gun”) events at my club. One difference is that both of my 1900s have fluid steel barrels, not damascus, so my ammo options are somewhat greater.

Green Frog

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m guessing it will cost more to restore the gun than what it is worth. I picked up at a 10 gauge side-by-side at a garage sale for 45 bucks a couple decades ago. It’s one I’ll have fun and do much restore work to myself as possible. I had one dent in the right barrel and smoothed it out about 99% using a socket and wooden towel to tap it carefully through the dented portion of (and no further) the barrel so I wouldn’t change the choke constriction. I would like to have someone refinish the barrel and receiver some day. I ca. Figure out the wood furniture myself.

Thumbs up

Hey, Hawkenhunter50, I understand your desire to restore the shotgun. If that desire outweighs the finances, then go for it. I've restored many antique guns in my collection just because I wanted them to look better. Everything in life doesn't always make financial sense.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2152hq View Post
    12ga or 16ga?
    Ejectors or Extractor?

The D Grade is a very desirable gun to collectors and vintage SxS shooters when in good condition. 16ga editions are somewhat rare.
    All the 1894's are ser#'d starting at 100,000 and I believe never hit the 2oo,000 mark.

I'd sign up over on Doublegunshop .com
    https://www.doublegunshop.com/

Then post what you have on the DoubleGun BBS Forum.
    Pics and info, ect. You'll get plenty of comments. They can be a bit tough at times, but a few are truely passionate about these.
    One long time member posts under the screen name of 'Resercher' (also posts on several other gun collecting sites with that name.
    His name is Dave and he is just packed with info and is especially interested in the Remington SxS's,,Model 1894 in particular,

A 'D Grade' posting will catch his interest and no doubt get a reply or more about which way to go with it and some suggestions.

I have a project D Grade 1894 also. Bought off of a flea market table of bicycle parts, auto tools and archery stuff. It's seen a hard life and is missing a couple small parts but have those in hand now.
    A 12ga Damascus with the ribs loose, bbls rusty on the outside, forend looks like it got too close to the wood stove and charred!.
    But it's a D grade,,,,and a project for 'sometime' in the future.
    I'm retired from the gun restoration/engraving biz now. 50yrs, time for some projects of my own.

We restore them 'cause they are there and because we like to.
    Others go fishing or play golf...
    Its a 12 with extractor only. I think you are correct for SN info. Mine is 100,10X. I think I remember only 70,000 total 1894 were ever made in all grades.
    Thanks for the info on doubleguns, I will look into that.