Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Calibrate Scales

Boolit Master
    I guess ive been lucky getting good scales, I use 2, both much older, a 505 RCBS and a Lyman m5, they have always been spot on accurate as long as they are level.
    when Lyman went to plastic base scales things changed I guess, I had a couple bought on clearance but they are long gone.
    got a little digital scale and its not accurate as the old ohaus beam scales. according to checks with those little aluminum tab check weights

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Troyboy, then answer this based on your statement about digital and won’t weigh lighter grains ... why do the two $45 digitals that I have with 0.02 gr accuracy weigh 2.1grs of Bullseye every time I trickle the powder into the pan from a Lee dipper for my 22rf reloads. And the same goes for 4.5 Swiss-Null B for the 22rfs?
    PS, it’s the quality of the strain gauge in the digital
    Last edited by John Boy; 01-31-2021 at 08:37 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    ... why do the two $45 digitals that I have with 0.02 gr accuracy weigh 2.1grs of Bullseye every time I trickle the powder into the pan from a Lee dipper for my 22rf reloads.
    Well ... I won't say no, but I really question that any $45 dollar digital would be usable and accurate to 20 thousants (0.020) of a grain! That's in the region of some delicate and very costly laboratory scales!

There's a beeeg fluffy difference between readout resolution and accuracy!
    Cognitive Dissident

Y'know, one annoyance I have about my Ohaus beam balance is getting the little sheet-metal poise on the right hand end of the beam in the right notch. My eyes ain't what they once were, and last night I loaded a bunch of 9mm with 6.0 grains of Power Pistol instead of 6.1 grains that I intended.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Are you trickling up handgun loads?

One tenth of a grain higher will be safe ... unless you're right on the crumbly edge of a KABOOM! Don't think being that much low will be detectable on the range.

Answer yes, I'm weighing every charge. I got started handloading for some very hot rifle cartridges, developed a routine that I retain to this day, long after abandoning such high-risk endeavours. It's also interesting from the standpoint of evaluating how stable my RCBS measure is. Process control gaging for GM/Ford was my last career, and I still think that way. (If you're interested, it ordinarily meters Power Pistol within a tenth of a grain of nominal, i.e. +/-0.1 grain. Technique affects it. Level in the hopper does not, over a span of 100 charges. Worst trait it has is that the micrometer needs a friction lock. If I just graze it with my little finger it will move enough to change the charge a couple of tenths. If I weren't weighing every charge, I'd never know those things.)

The load was supposed to be 6.1 grains, but I actually loaded 6.0, so yes, it'll be safe, if a tiny bit limper than intended.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I've trinkeled rifle loads for some 60 year. I'm a low volume shooter so that works for me. BUT, I load somewhat larger numbers of handgun ammo and have never trickeled any of those, it would take too long.

I dump charge my handgun loading trays full and then "eyeball" every charge under a bright light before seating to assure consistency. I (think) I can see any +/- variations greater than 0.1 and 0.2 gr. of most powders.

Boolit Master
    1hole's eyeballing verks GREAT for most stuff. (Handy for avoiding DOUBLE CHARGING!!!)
    BUT you cannot eyeball accurately WAY DOWN in looong cartridge cases.
    For troublesome light charges - GONRA puts a small nail in the charged case.

Boolit Master
    a very simple way to Check your scales . You do not need a set of weights . it sits in your Pocket. A modern US Nickel weighs in @ exactly 5 Grams Or 77.16 Grains. Just put one on The Electronic and see.
    Set your Bean scale the same
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456