Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Taurus G2c - Is it any good?

Boolit Buddy

Taurus G2c - Is it any good?

Here's my review of the G2c. Let me know what you think of it.

Howard

Boolit Master

Nice review. I have the PT 111 and 140. I like them both.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Nice review. I have the PT 111 and 140. I like them both.
    Thank you! About 8 or 10 years ago, I saw a PT111 essentially self-destruct on the range. That made me a bit leery going into this review. I have to say I was quite pleasntly surprised. Thanks for watching!

Howard

Banner Sponsor

This is exactly what I was looking for. My youngest son turned 21 and we're going to go through the CC class together, I accidentally let mine expire oops, So I need something for him to carry or just to pack in his car for emergencies. I may see if I can find a micro light/laser to mount on the rail.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Im going to take mine out for a spin later today. It's been awhile since i shot them. And Howard your welcome. You do a great job with reviews.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    My brother has been carrying his since last fall. He has the stainless slide on his and has been very happy with it. I have been spoiled by the Shield I have been carrying and don't like the added thickness and weight that comes with the 12 round double stacked magazine.
    Nice review.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Howard. Although not a gun near my wheel house, I appreciate your review. I have had good experiences with Taurus center fire revolvers, but not their pistols. That one looks like a goodie, especially for the money. I don't think it will replace my Shield, nor my Kahr, but It seems to be a reasonably accurate, inexpensive, reliable pistol for the "capacity-is-king" crowd.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    What about differences between the Taurus and the Skky?

Yes, the G2c is a good gun.
    Just bought a couple of G3's, and so far I like them a lot.

Boolit Master

Bought a G2c a couple of years ago out of curiosity and apparently got some weird anomaly of one with an infuriating trigger. Halfway through the pull, there is a "catch" that is annoying as heck.

Yes, the trigger pull is long, but not bad. But that weird catch just ruins the gun for me. I actually bought an aftermarket stainless striker channel guide to try and mitigate it, but it didn't help. Took apart the pistol and have used a file to try and eliminate the issue, but it refuses to go away.

It also has one of the worst slide finishes I have ever seen on a pistol. Worse than spray paint in it's durability. I've been tempted to buy another one with a stainless slide, but I really don't need one. The Taurus is now relegated to back up gun duty and gets occasionally tossed in a bag as emergency back up.

Great ergonomics and 100% reliability with mediocre accuracy. A very solid $200 pistol.

Love your videos and finally subscribed!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by plowboysghost View Post
    Yes, the G2c is a good gun.
    Just bought a couple of G3's, and so far I like them a lot.
    I have had a couple of people ask me to review the G3. I would like to get ahold of one and try it out!

Idaho45guy - Thanks for the sub!

Howard

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    What about differences between the Taurus and the Skky?
    I have a Sccy 9mm. Taurus 111 much better. Sccy trigger is heavy.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    I own one auto and it is a G2 and it has not missed up in any way. I really like it because of the feel and now because it performs so well. It has not had even a bobble when shooting single handed and left handed. Next I will move toward cast in mine but that is still in the future
    I would recommend it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The G2C is the best selling gun at my side job shop, in fact it outsells everything made by Glock combined. We have customers who come back for a second or third one. I really don't get the appeal of the Sccy for the same price: heavy DAO trigger and oddly shaped grip. Plus, the G2C has screw adjustable rear sights.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    What drew me to the G2C was the ability to use SIG P226/P229 magazines.I found it fit my hand exactly like my S&W Shield. It also can use the Shields leather holster. The trigger on mine isn't gritty, just long. I shoot my revolvers almost exclusively double action and the G2C has the long pull I associate with double action revolver work.

Because it feels just like the Shield, point-ability is the same. During the winter of 2017-2018 I dry fired my Shield for 100 repetitions every other day at a 2x2 Post-It 55 feet across my basement. That and subsequent dry fire allows me to present the pistol at a target with my eyes shut and when I open my eyes the sights are on target. The G2C does the same thing.

I've only had it since 5 March 20 and have shot 540 rounds of mixed commercial, my cast reloads and range pickup. It's fed everything I've given it and not jammed yet. I need to shoot it another 1000 rounds or so before I put it in the carry rotation. I am happy with it.

Last things. When I got the G2C I was looking at a SIG P365. The Taurus was less than 1/2 of the SIG's price. Once I picked it up it felt exactly like the Shield I was carrying with 50% more ammunition. I had to try it and am glad I did. the fact it also uses P226/P229 mags is just a perk.
    Last edited by serger; 06-11-2020 at 11:58 AM.