Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rechamber Remington 514 to 22 magnum?

Rechamber Remington 514 to 22 magnum?

I have a 514 that I am going to replace the barrel on and have thought about a rechamber to 22 magnum. What are your thoughts? Is the action strong enough? Yes I realize the bore is .001 smaller than a standard 22 magnum barrel but will it make a difference? I like opinions. Is there something different I could do?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Boolit Master

Mag won't work. Have to retrofit with Marlin parts and open up the mag window. Beside that, I think the manufacturers might have done some R&D into using a larger bore. Rebarrel and keep it in 22 LR and pick up a 22 Mag. Resale will also be huŕt.

The Remington 514 is a single shot bolt action. I have a friend who had his 514 rechambered to 22 magnum back in the late 1970s. The same gunsmith had done a Remington 510 previously for another friend. He had the 514 owner sign a waiver- but not the 510 owner. I dont know the reason for that..... Both guns are still being used to this day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How much would the rechambering and rebarreling cost? Far as I know, Ruger has always used .22 LR bore size on their convertible Single Sixes. The one I had would shoot either one well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    I have a Remington 514. I broke the bolt handle off by pounding on it with a rubber hammer. (The bolt handle is the locking mechanism) I found out the Remington used a process of "Copper soldering" the bolt handle to the bolt. Like brazing but used copper. Don't know if that would make it not strong enough but like I said I broke the handle off of mine with a rubber hammer.
    Other than that I doubt VERY MUCH if there would be any other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I have a Remington 514. I broke the bolt handle off by pounding on it with a rubber hammer. (The bolt handle is the locking mechanism) I found out the Remington used a process of "Copper soldering" the bolt handle to the bolt. Like brazing but used copper. Don't know if that would make it not strong enough but like I said I broke the handle off of mine with a rubber hammer.
    Other than that I doubt VERY MUCH if there would be any other problems.
    Gotta ask the question: Why were you pounding on the bolt with a rubber hammer?

I had to do that to a 03A3 once because of suspected charge and a half of fast powder under a cast boolit, can't see it happening with a rimfire unless you are loading your 22 LR awful hot.
    Last edited by 15meter; 06-23-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    Most bolt guns have bolts pieced together and copper brazed .....the copper b is done in either a hydrogen atmosphere or vacuum,and is said to be a strong as solid steel..........Ive seen quite a few 22rf redone to 22mag ,and it works on a repeater too, if it has a tubular magazine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Gotta ask the question: Why were you pounding on the bolt with a rubber hammer?

I had to do that to a 03A3 once because of suspected charge and a half of fast powder under a cast boolit, can't see it happening with a rimfire unless you are loading you 22 LR awful hot.
    I can't remember why I was pounding on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I can't remember why I was pounding on it.
    Sounds like geezer disease, that's been the toughest part of drifting past 60 for me.

Get in the truck, drive to the hardware store, turn around and come back home to look at what I was work on to perhaps remind me what I wanted at the hardware store in the first place.

Banned

My question would be why? I haven't really seen where the .22 mag was enough better in any way to justify the added ammo expense.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Sounds like geezer disease, that's been the toughest part of drifting past 60 for me.

Get in the truck, drive to the hardware store, turn around and come back home to look at what I was work on to perhaps remind me what I wanted at the hardware store in the first place.
    Written down lists are your friends!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering that the 514 has a 'slip in' barrel retained by a screw and that the only thing keeping the bolt out of your eye or brain is a solder/brazed joint, I think I'd just buy a 22 mag rifle.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Now what was this thread about again?

After looking at the parts schematic for the 514, I will join the naysayers on this conversion. The root of the bolt handle lockup doesn't inspire confidence. But a model 510 has dual lugs and a model 580 has six. I would convert one of them if I wanted a .22 Magnum. BUT- I like the .17 HMR better because it is more accurate than the .22 mag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Given that there are far too many recalls of factory ammo, I would also be against upgrading to a much more powerful cartridge.
    What if you happen to get a box of higher pressure loaded faulty ammo?
    I say just get another 22 magnum rifle and be done.

When 22mag first came out the gunsmiths around here would only convert one Winchester and I can’t remember what model it was. I do know a BA single shot, and at the time Rem didn’t have a rifle most smiths would stick their neck out on. When 22mag was fairly new I had a Rem RB that had been a 25rf. Barrel was crap and I put Rem 513 barrel on it. Wanted 22mag, Smith overruled me and did 22rf. Still have that rifle, now family heirloom. It has been my Turkey Shoot 22 and never fails to bring home the bacon. At 50ft it shoots through same hole.

Banned
    I have some real admiration for the 500 series Remington .22 rifles, they solid values. I would recommend against converting one to .22mag.
    I'm also with richodge66 in that the .22 mag just isn't enough of a leap forward to be worth making a .22 mag rifle out of a .22 LR.

If you really want a .22 mag I would suggest finding one that was originally chambered for that cartridge.

Boolit Master
    I am in the camp if why.With so many 22 mag rifles out there mo point in it.i would think it would be cheeper to buy a rifle.

And then you discovered you had taken a list which you put in your pocket but forgot?

Not saying that has ever happened to me or anything.

I may have one or two single shot 22's lying around. 22 mag could be an option. I think the bolts are a solid piece of hardened steel. I should check (I might also check how many of these rifles I actually have). These are Slazengers and have one piece barrel and action which are ordinance steel. I cut one down with a hacksaw and that steel is tough! Machines well - turned down the barrel and cut suppressor threads. Anyway, I'm actually thinking of a dedicated cast boolit hornet single shot.

I've found that not all 22 barrels are equal. One barreled action I have has a loose bore. It's a single shot missing the bolt and extractor. Find a bolt if it's strong enough.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-29-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Given that there are far too many recalls of factory ammo, I would also be against upgrading to a much more powerful cartridge.
    What if you happen to get a box of higher pressure loaded faulty ammo?
    I say just get another 22 magnum rifle and be done.

.22 LR and .22 WMR have the same chamber pressure--24,000 PSI.

The bullets are within .001", and soft lead.

Thousands of guns have been converted without issue.

However, I'd still check with a gunsmith or do a bore cast to make sure of diameter, and stick to newer guns (Post 1950 or so), and avoid reaming out really tapered barrels where the walls might get too thin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast