Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: New CZ 457 Varmint rifle

Boolit Master

Smile New CZ 457 Varmint rifle

Yesterday afternoon I picked up my new toy. First impression was it was a very nice rifle with an excellent finish for the price. Today I took it out to test fire it and I'm impressed. I had some old CCI std velocity about 20 years old and it shot .536" at 50 yds and 1.55" at 100. Some old Wolf MT about 12 years old that shot .374" at 50 yards and .77" at 100 yds. Those groups are about average for the ammo, some better and some slightly worse. Now to reduce the factory trigger pull.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Those pesky varmints don't stand a chance now!

Boolit Master
    my family member got a 455 recently. std vel and eley ammo did good like yours also. for trigger we used the adjustment for weight and for pull length theres a product thats bascially a tube that fits over the "forward stop pin" for lack of better term it controls how far forward the trigger goes by hitting it. but instead of buying the product i looked through my roll pins and found a size that can be pressed over the pin and it reduced pull length by about 2/3. seems safe enough theres still a bit of pull and its press fit on so should be stable long term, incase you like to not spend money like me

Is the new trigger like the old one? I'd heard they redesigned it.

Moderator Emeritus

My sincere congratulations on your CZ Varmint! A few years ago I purchased a CZ Model 452 s/n A559xxx .22 bolt action target Varmint rifle. and adorned it with a Weaver Classic Rim-fire 3-9x x 32 'scope. So ever impressed I was, next time in big box store where I had executed purchase I went right to counter to tell salesman how ecstatic I was with the rifle. Bion, he had -- hours before -- taken the "sister" of the one I purchased in on trade -- and his price was such, it followed me home (S/n A770xxx). I put the same scope on it.
    I have had many, many .22's thru the years, from Winchester 67's and GECO small single shots, to heavy Model 12C target .22s.
    I understand the Model 457 is the same as mine... only better ('specially the trigger).
    Again, congratulations!!!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Is the new trigger like the old one? I'd heard they redesigned it.
    The 457 trigger has been changed from the previous model from what I understand. It's fully adjustable. It's a very nice trigger for a really nice accurate rifle.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Quote Originally Posted by LynC2 View Post
    The 457 trigger has been changed from the previous model from what I understand. It's fully adjustable. It's a very nice trigger for a really nice accurate rifle.
    That's an improvement. Won't have to make parts to get it nice.

Moderator Emeritus

On both of my 452 Varmints, I updated their triggers, putting a Timney trigger in one, and a Rifle Basix in the other. Both function well, and ever so much made a super-great .22 into an ultra-super-great firearm . I'd guess my two, now, with these additions, are similar to that which now comes with the Model 457. (Note I typed "guess") A reference on the Timney is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzN5A_eQMNA; I bought my BASIX from Brownell's ( https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod25707.aspx ), and I'd be hard-pressed to voice which is the better of the two. A great improvement!
    geo

George, your 452’s are in the realm of very collectible for the reasons you stated. You have to spend a much bigger pile of cash to get a .22LR that shoots better. I have 4 CZ .22LR’s 452,455 Scout’s 452 Exclusive,453 American and a CZ 452 .22Magnum FS. A few dollars to doll them with some very nicely made aftermarket parts makes them even more enjoyable .