Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, my first 1911 is in my hands!

Boolit Master

Finally, my first 1911 is in my hands!

Ordered it via Gunbroker on 14th of May and was finally able to pick it up today.

It was worth the wait. Absolutely floored by the fit and finish. Slide to frame fit is superb and the slide racks like it's on ball bearings. Exceeded my expectations for a 1911 at this price point.

It's a Remington 1911 R1 Limited in .40 S&W.

Remington doesn't offer them anymore and instead has the "Enhanced" model. A gun shop had a bunch of them in stock and the MSRP was $1200. Found a few for around $900 on Bud's Guns and other places. This shop was getting rid of them for $549. Plus there is a current rebate for $50, so $499 for a loaded up 1911 that appears to be as nice as those costing twice as much.

There is no rattle like I recall with the old GI models and virtually no play in the slide to frame fit. Trigger is a little heavier, but no creep and breaks like glass. Probably around 5 lbs, but will have to get it home to test it.

Haven't shot it yet, since I literally picked it up on my lunch break, but will do a proper range report on my next day off, which is Sunday.

Attachment 263137

Attachment 263138
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Nice ! I hope you can wear it out haha

I recently got my first 1911. Nothing like owning one!
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Banned

Very nice!

Boolit Master
    At that price i would have gotten one also.
    You knew i want one. Why didn't you let me in on the secret??? Kevin

Banned

Only 1911 I had was a double stacked para ordanance and its kind of a stretch to call that a 1911. It did shoot and I allways wondered why 40s didn't catch on in 1911s when 9mms did. I think you got yourself a very cool 1911.

Boolit Master

Awesome welcome to the hotel 1911. I just got my 11th one last week.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Vendor Sponsor

Nice!!! You can't have too many 1911s! It is expressly forbidden to even contemplate how many is too many... I have a few, and I do count the Para 14 as a 1911 it's just a fat bottomed girl and we all know what Queen said about those..

Mine are on elevated risk duty currently, placed at strategic locations in multiple parts of the house, keeping the black rifle in good company. I'll be plenty glad when all this current unrest is over and done with.

Edit: Oh BTW, pull the barrel as you are giving it the initial cleaning, and do the PLUNK test make sure your ammo will drop in and spin freely.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-04-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Do yourself a favor and call Tripp Research and ask for the "Corey" mags for it.

Boolit Master

Thought I might have had trouble...

Got home after work and loaded up a factory mag and the Wilson Combat mag I bought for it and pulled the slide back to chamber a round and it got stuck; slide didn't want to go all the way forward. Tried both mags and both reloads with XTPs and the factory cheap stuff with round nose and it did it with both.

After trying to get pics of what was going on, it started doing it less and less and within a few magazines full, it stopped doing it.

Guess that's maybe a sign that the pistol was built to tighter tolerances?

Will have to take it to the range on my day off to see what happens, but pretty sure it will be OK after I fire a couple of boxes through it. Also plan on field-stripping it and checking the internals and doing a normal cleaning and lube.

I know with my P365, they advised racking the slide a bunch and stripping and cleaning everything before firing and it's been flawless.

Attachment 263144
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

My one 1911 was tight like your new one. Break yours down, Clean and lube it. Just be sure to hang onto the recoil spring plug as you remove it. They can fly if you don't. Im still missing one that took off lol. There is videos on youtube if your not sure on the brake down.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Groo here
    Run it with a lot of lube for a box or two to start.
    Also , Tripp or Metalform for mags.
    Never had much luck with Wilson, too light made, real steel is best...
    Ps , 40 S&W is a might short for the 1911 but if it works !!!!!
    Ps , a new barrel and you have a 357 sig,,,,, barrel and recoil spring and a 10mm!!!!!!!
    PPS Some companies use the same cut for 40/10/357sig, 38 super AND 9mm,,, check with gun smith on yours..
    SEE the 1911 can get some what addictive......

Vendor Sponsor
    Welcome to the brotherhood. It is a much better group than the followers of black plastic (just like the guns) lol. I have two right now, a full sized and a compact, both in 45 acp. Hopefully I can add a 38 super to the list some day. Maybe if I leave then both side by side in the safe this winter they will spawn me a 38 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Cool! I have a Remington R1S in 45acp, and love it! That I can get parts, probably forever; makes it that much sweeter!

Boolit Master
    Be careful, they tend to multiply if left in a dark safe. If there is 2 of them, they certainly multiply and have offspring.

cute brunette!

Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    Welcome to the brotherhood. It is a much better group than the followers of black plastic (just like the guns) lol. I have two right now, a full sized and a compact, both in 45 acp. Hopefully I can add a 38 super to the list some day. Maybe if I leave then both side by side in the safe this winter they will spawn me a 38 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think .45s will beget .45s. You'll have to leave one of the .45s in the dark with a 9mm to get a .38 Super .......

Boolit Master

38 super is a nice round. My 1st GI model is a 38 super. Sweet shooter. When someone ask me what 38 super is. I tell them it's a 9mm magnum.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Grand Master

I put away my old Remington Rand as soon as I could get my hands on the R1 and I carried that as a duty gun for years, totally reliable and accurate never a miss on a shoot or a qual. It acutally functioned BETTER than a $2000.00 custom gun.

You have a total winner.

Boolit Man
    Took my wife to the range. When she had enough shooting her walther 9mm she asked me what i was shooting. I said its a 1911. She said can i try it. Of course i said. Then she shot about 200 rounds and i didn't get it back before the range closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast