Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Lead Lapping

Boolit Bub

Lead Lapping

I have hand lapped rifle barrels very carefully. But I just bore scoped a newer marlin 1895, and the bore is so rough. I slugged it, and measured .458" and .453" at the grooves. Little shallower than expected. But I am worried I will open up the grooves more than .459". Most bullets I cast drop at .459".

Boolit Grand Master

It will open up fast if rough as metal removal will only be on the hills making the compound more aggressive acting. >001 on dia is only .0005 on a side to remove this may not remove all the low spots even.

You might start by shooting it in some with jacketed bullets and a break in procedure.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would shoot it to see if it settles in. Some barrels that look like that shoot great.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I would shoot it to see if it settles in. Some barrels that look like that shoot great.
    It doesn't shoot horrible. I get 1.5" groups at 100 yards with 350gr hornady. But with cast, it opens up to twice that. And takes forever to clean.

Boolit Buddy
    You can spend hours lapping a barrel to make it shine. After a few firings, it won’t be shiny anymore. Just the way it is. Shoot it. If it shoots good, keep shooting.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
    It doesn't shoot horrible. I get 1.5" groups at 100 yards with 350gr hornady. But with cast, it opens up to twice that. And takes forever to clean.

That could be a lube or size problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Remlins have been like that since the take over
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both