Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 357mag. NOE 180 WFN ??

Boolit Buddy

357mag. NOE 180 WFN ??

I won't quote the load, but I have a NOE 180gr WFN @ 1400fps out of Ruger BLH 6.5"bbl. It will keep 5 shots under 3" @50yds. Enough for whitetails????????

BigBoreShooter

Boolit Grand Master

Is this a serious question, or satire?

Boolit Master

we still using PURPLE TEXT for less than serious posts?

If you stuff one of those IN THE RIGHT PLACE, all you should need will be a sharp knife.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a winner. Now you have all summer to practice

Groo here
    Just make sure there are not 2 standing one behind the other or you could daylight both........

Boolit Master
    Unless your capable of laying them into a deers vitals at 100 yards, or that boolit is soft enough to expand, I'd say about 400 fps of that velocity is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Unless your capable of laying them into a deers vitals at 100 yards, or that boolit is soft enough to expand, I'd say about 400 fps of that velocity is wasted.
    Absolutely correct! I've killed enough deer with .44 and .45 SWCs at 800-900 that I know you don't need that kind of load to kill a deer. It's hard on the gun and shooter, too.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master
    Exactly, but with that flat doing the work expansion isn't much of a factor, it will do the job.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    Exactly, but with that flat doing the work expansion isn't much of a factor, it will do the job.
    That's my point precisely. That boolit is no more lethal at 1,400 fps than 900-1,000.

Boolit Grand Master

That's my point precisely. That boolit is no more lethal at 1,400 fps than 900-1,000.
    I keep seeing this repeated. If this were true, Elmer Keith's life was a waste. The truth is, the higher the velocity, the larger the wound channel. This has been tested by hunters like Elmer Keith, as well as experimenters like Veral Smith.

Ask yourself this, if you had a rifle, one in 38 special with your 900 fps 180 griain load, or a second in 243 winchester with a bullet half the weight at 90 grains, but traveling 3,100 fps. Which is more effective?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    If you stuff one of those IN THE RIGHT PLACE, all you should need will be a sharp knife.
    ...and, if in the wrong place, you'll have a mess and you will still need a sharp knife to trim out all the bloody meat trauma.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    My point was ,that we all discussed if 357 revolver was adequate for deer.
    With 180 and @ 1400 ,you would get enough penetration and velocity to increase
    the size of the wound channel.

BigBoreShooter

Quote Originally Posted by BigboreShooter View Post
    My point was ,that we all discussed if 357 revolver was adequate for deer.
    With 180 and @ 1400 ,you would get enough penetration and velocity to increase
    the size of the wound channel.

BigBoreShooter
    Guess it all depends on where that hunt happens at. A slow moving 170 or 180 grain 357 boolit of medium hardness will be quit impressive.

The ""handiness" of a revolver in heavy brush is very welcome if and when ya gotta "go in after em".

If on the plains where a bush is found every 3 square miles ... that 243 would be a welcome tool.

We tend to need flatter and flatter shooting weapons simply because we seem to be getting bit with that same bug that is destroying our culture and art of living ... INSTANT GRATIFICATION ...

Hunting has always been a combination of woodsmanship, ability to shoot and sportsman like activity.

In short ... being willing and knowledgeable enough to plan and execute a stalk that puts your game in range where you can deliver that perfect shot that dispatches the game animal immediately and with as little pain as we can deliver.

Not the hyper velocity small bore that gets a "hail mary" style shot from folks that if practiced at all ... 50 yards resting on a bench ... for 3 shots ... before walking a step ... heart rate in an easy rhythm ... and setting on a chair ... in the shade.

I digress ... nothing takes the place of a un-hurried hunt with plenty of knowhow to get in position or the ability to take a pass on a head of game that rarely anymore will make the difference between living or starving.

Ok ok ... I will stop. Old man just ramblin.

Boolit Buddy

Not sure if the OP lives in a state like mine, but for me to use a handgun to hunt deer, it has to have 6" min barrel and generate 700 ft lbs of muzzle energy. So while 1400 with a 180 may seem excessive, I need to drive it close to that to be legal.

Put it in the boiler room and have your drag rope ready .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28