WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee pot screws

Boolit Master

Lee pot screws

So I’m not sure if it’s just wear and tear or what but the screws that hold the handle for my lee 20lbs pot keep backing out. The screws look fine but it seems that over time the hole they thread into has been wallowed out. Maybe corrosion or just age I’ve been at it pretty hard and heavy for about 5 years. Does anyone know of any kind of glue or substance I can put into the hole to give the screws something to bite into? I can’t imagine as hot as this pot gets that JB weld would work.
    90% professional 10% mature

Banned
    Take the bottom off the pot then the side piece where the loose screw is. Pinch the "channel" back in and reassemble

reassemble. remember don't over tighten and don't lift the handle too hard trying to get a faster lead flow

Boolit Master
    Very nice tutorial !

Boolit Master

This deserves a sticky! I had no idea it was a channel like that. Guess I should have taken the pot apart first.

A sticky yes I think so but for general pot maintenance, cleaning and repairs

Moderator Emeritus

I added a link to this thread, in the long list of links in the "this old pot" Sticky.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7-this-old-pot
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I just rebuilt my old Lee 10lb. pot and replaced the screws with stainless pan head sheetmetal screws.

Another bonus, when I ordered the parts from Lee, pot, element and thermostat, they only charged me for shipping. Parts were no charge and shipping was $15.

Banned
    Welcome to CB Jsm180

PM sent

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I added a link to this thread, in the long list of links in the "this old pot" Sticky.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7-this-old-pot
    Darn good idea, that was the first sticky I looked at when I started having this problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Easier to use #10 sheet metal screws. But I'm just lazy.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if it would be better to use a long rod, threaded at both ends, or drilled for cotter pin and washers.

Boolit Master
    GONRA wonders - can you retap and use the next larger size screw / bolt?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA wonders - can you retap and use the next larger size screw / bolt?
    Nope. The slot is not tapped, so it can't be re-tapped. I would think a larger Dia screw would be problematic.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy

Use the original diameter but longer if it is stripped out.

Banned
    I have some Lee equipment, including a 4-20 bottom pour pot.

Lee products have their place but they really are an exercise in economy manufacturing.

Those shoulder bolts that act as a guides for the valve arm assembly are a classic example of how Lee finds ways to hit a price point.
    There are about a hundred different ways Lee could have engineered that simple valve assembly but I don't think any of those 100 alternatives would have been cheaper than the one they landed on.
    Those shoulder bolts have a smooth shank that acts as a guide for the valve assembly and a sheet metal thread on the other end. The sheet metal threads engage an extruded aluminum channel in the outer cover of the pot. That solution works, barely and not for long.
    I have used the method shown in post #2 to repair my 4-20 pot.

I've put some thought into how I will repair it the next time it fails (and there will be a next time).

I'm not going to bash Lee products but there is a reason they are consistently the lowest priced option.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    SNIP...

Lee products have their place but they really are an exercise in economy manufacturing.

Those shoulder bolts that act as a guides for the valve arm assembly are a classic example of how Lee finds ways to hit a price point.
    There are about a hundred different ways Lee could have engineered that simple valve assembly but I don't think any of those 100 alternatives would have been cheaper than the one they landed on.
    Those shoulder bolts have a smooth shank that acts as a guide for the valve assembly and a sheet metal thread on the other end. The sheet metal threads engage an extruded aluminum channel in the outer cover of the pot. That solution works, barely and not for long.
    I agree with what you said, except for the portion I highlighted in red.

I suppose some have had Not Too Long service...
    But, I've heard several members comment on the years/decades of trouble free service they got out of the Lee 4-20 furnace. I am at 10 years with mine, and I keep a log of casting sessions, I am up to 246 casting sessions, most are a couple hours each. I've never had to take it apart yet to fix anything. I think that's pretty good for a $60 electric tool.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
    Well JonB in Glenco, I hope my experience matches yours but I don't have faith that it will.

That shoulder bolt, which is nothing more than a sheet metal screw with a partial thread, doesn't inspire confidence.
    Those threads engage an extruded aluminum channel and there's just not a lot there for those threads to grab onto.

I agree the Lee 4-20 pot is an inexpensive pot and provides decent service for what it is.
    It would have been easy for Lee to have made that valve assembly just a bit better but that would make the pot just a little bit more expensive.......

And that pretty much sums up Lee products.

I don't beat the valve open and closed but just normal use is going to work those two screws loose.

Banned
    Petrol & Powder I'm curious about what pot you use since you can't tolerate Lee's inferior products.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Petrol & Powder I'm curious about what pot you use since you can't tolerate Lee's inferior products.
    I DO use a Lee.
    I never said I can't tolerate Lee's inferior products, I just wish they weren't so inferior.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-22-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have just given my 6yr old pot the above treatment, and should it fail again I will use longer screws. I personally do not have a problem with the Lee Pro 20 pot, I have put over 400 KG of lead through it with very little in way of problems, Lee make some fine stuff for the price. Regards Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast