Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do you spend at the range????

Boolit Grand Master

How long do you spend at the range????

For those who are not luck enough to have a home range.
    How much time, in a day, do you spend at the range????
    How much time is shooting, and how much is socializing?????

Before this stupid chinese virus, I would go to the range on Sundays.
    Get there around 12 noon, and stay till end of shooting at 4pm.
    The gang would stay until 6;30pm and then go out to eat dinner.
    Of the four hours there, probably two hours shooting.
    Line is hot for 1/2 hour, then cold for repair of targets.
    Sometimes that last 10 to 15 minutes.
    Depends on how slow people are.

I'm good for about 2- 2 1/2 hours, sometimes more.
    There usually isn't more than 2-3 people on both of the ranges, so there isn't a lot of visiting with each other.

The older I get, the less I want to walk back & forth to the target boards.
    I put several targets on a frame, and spend most of the time shooting.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Well it depends on what I am doing
    I do have a range at home 100 yards and just over 400 yards
    Great for taking my time ... I may goof off alone or with friends and shoot 8+ hours
    LOL And I might only shoot 20 shots

But if I want to shoot at the 25 yard pistol range
    Or shoot groups / work up loads
    I go to the range
    I may spend 1 to 4 hours
    But more often it is about 2 hours

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I need to add
    I normally ONLY go to to the range during the week
    During the day

So I miss the week end and afternoon shooters

So I am normally the only one at the range

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Till I'm done shooting my test loads if working up something new . If just sighting in not too long . If there's a big group I won't even unload my gear I just wait another day . I guess it's the intovert in me
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I'm good for server hours. Sometimes I go home and change guns and come back for a few more hours.

Boolit Buddy
    Since it's an hour drive each way, the question is how many people are there and how many are stupid.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Banned

I was at my local range for 2 1/2 hours on Saturday and not a soul around.......just the way I like it! Shooting a Sharps.

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on how many people are there. If it’s a lot I usually drive to another range I belong to hoping no one is there. I’m usually good for a few hours. But there have been times when I’ve been there all day.

I don’t go for the social aspect. To many by me are their own worse enemy politically. This isn’t the correct forum so I won’t elaborate.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Typically I go with my son on Saturday or Sunday.
    Usually get there around 9-10:00AM and shoot till at least 1-2:00PM.
    Long enough for us to each fill up a large plastic coffee can with handgun brass, plus whatever hunting or test loads we shoot.

Trips with the rifles usually don't last as long it consumed as much ammunition unless my son decides to practice mag fumps out of his ARs. Then the brass count goes into the hundreds.

We do a fair amount of talking with other shooters. My son likes people a lot more than I do...I prefer dogs in most cases.

Boolit Master

All my range trips happen during the week. If I am shooting handguns I go to the gun club. Most times I am the only one there. I am usually there for about 2 hours. Longer if I have to spend some time cleaning up after some not so neat members.

For rifle shooting I go to the ODNR Class A shooting range that is just a few miles from my home.Thankfully it reopened 2 weeks ago. It's much better than the gun club for shooting rifles with large covered ranges of 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards. Plus trap, skeet and archery ranges. When I head over there the wife figures I'll be gone about 4 hours. Most of the shooters are regulars so there are a lot of conversations and discussions going on. A good bit of time is spent socializing with shooters and the RO but I always get the shooting done that I had planned to do.
    Chuck

I usually spend about 2-3 hours. I go during the week (early) so I'm the only one there most times. I pick up brass, police the areas and shoot until I'm tired (or aggravated, depending on how I shoot)

My local gun club shut down over 15 years ago, a sad day indeed. I spent many hours there over the course of the 20+ years it was in operation. How much time I would spend on the range on any given day, depended on my needs. I worked a rotating shift and often had the place to myself.

Some days I would be working on a rifle load and spend two hours. Other days I would spend about the same amount of time shooting up a couple hundred rounds practicing IDPA. There have been days I would work on a couple of projects over the course of three or four hours. I guess in short, typically about 2 hours was my average time at the range.

I do miss the days gone by when fellow shooters where just that, shooters. It didn't matter what discipline of shooting the other party may be enjoying, it was the camaraderie.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Depends indoor range most times just a half hour once a week
    When I go to my outside range 4 hours
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Being retired, I try to get to our club range once or twice a week and, mostly, shoot on weekdays when there are very few others around. Firing line opens at 8A and I usually get there around 8:30. How long I stay depends an awful lot on what I'm shooting...I'm good for 30-40 rounds of full BPCR (or equivalent) from one of the 45-70s but might shoot 60 or 70 from the 38-55 or one of the .308s...but I try to be out of there by 12:30. If I'm shooting only handgun, maybe an hour or hour and a half.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

My club range is 6 1/2 miles from the house. I am usually the only shooter there from mid November until Labor Day. Then it is crowded enough to wait for one of the two benches for an hour or so. I see a few shooters after hunting season opens but usually not a lot of wait time. There is a 25 yard target, 50, 2 100 yard targets, 200 and 300 yard backers. We no longer have a 400 yard target as some rounds were impacting near an atv range.
    I try to shoot between 8 am and 10:30 as we get wind after 10:30. I will shoot handguns after that time.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Indoor range, maybe 30 minutes.
    Outdoor range, usually 2-3hr.

I hit the outdoor range on off hours so that I can have an entire bay to myself. That way, I can check targets whenever I want, don't need to worry about some goober shooting me in the back during a cold period, and I don't have to listen to any unsolicited "advice" or any "back when I was on the Teams" BS.

Boolit Master

Usually an hour or two for me. I rarely socialize there, as we're often alone at the times we go. I don't care to go alone; my wife or one of the kids usually comes with me, most often my oldest son. He's the one who likes to shoot. I don't have any friends who have time to get to the range more than a couple times per year.

I'm not opposed to getting to know people at the range. Occasionally I'll talk to folks there, but I don't want to bother anyone unless they're talkative and strike up a conversation. Even then they're usually busy, busy, busy- do their shooting and off they go. Before long my kids will all grow up, then they'll probably be too busy for me too.

I spend 4 to 6 hours at the range. That includes the 45 min drive to and fro. Usually there isn't many people because of the heat. I like to check on the leftover brass and walk around check the small lakes for gators or other wildlife and pick up any trash left by lazy shooters. Then blast away and have a lot of fun punching holes in paper and making clay birds disappear. My neighbor (who is a member also) goes most of the time also.

My range is a 20 min drive. I generally go once a week (mid-week) and stay two to four hours. If I take my kids it's closer to two, just me and it's closer to four hours. Often, I go in the a.m. and pack a lunch. The facility has multiple ranges. Mid-week it is usually empty other than a few people on the benchrest range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast