Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Case neck turning question.

Case neck turning question.

I’m making 300blkout brass from mixed head stamped 556/223 brass. I’ve heard some cases are too thick. Hence the turning necessity. My question is do you have to set the Turner for each case or set it for first one and then run them all through? Checking every few of course.

I have the Forester Handheld Outside Neck Turner with the Lee drill case holder adapter.

Thanks
    Tazlaw
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Grand Master

once set the neck turner should cut to desired size one pass just fine. Your only cutting .001-.003 on a side at the most. My set up would hold a .0002 on loaded neck dia for my tight neck chambers ( I normally ran .0007 clearance )

When neck turning get all the way to the neck shoulder so there is no doughnut in the neck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazlaw View Post
    My question is do you have to set the Turner for each case or set it for first one and then run them all through? Checking every few of course.
    For good work you must have a snuggly fitted neck-to-pilot contact and set the cutter so you'll have the thickness you want/need. Checking wall thickness from time to time won't hurt of course but I doubt you'll ever see a change.

I have the Forester Handheld Outside Neck Turner with the Lee drill case holder adapter.
    So do I and I love both.

IMHO, Forster's hand held turner is the "best" of it's type because of its carbide cutter that seems impervious to dulling.

Lightly lube both the inside and outside of the necks with a light gun oil and use a low speed drill to spin the cases.

Don't try to guide/jam the cases straight onto the pilot; instead, hold the Forster loosely so the pilot can follow the inside path of the necks and then the normal firing/resizing cycles can handle getting the necks aligned with the body.

Tazlaw: Remember on the gas guns it's more important to have a little clearance for proper feeding. I have my Sinclair tool set to just enough material removed to leave .002 clearance in the neck portion of the chamber. Don't worry about getting all the way down for a complete shinny neck, just take off the high spots for enough clearance in your chamber. May be OCD on my part but I stick with brass of the same head stamp. I make mine with Lake City brass. Gp

Boolit Master

I run LC08 and LC13 brass along with R-P brass converted to 300BLK and haven't needed to turn any necks in a couple of ARs and 4 bolt guns. I would stick with brass that fits and avoid turning necks if I could.

Thanks guys. This is a first for me so I appreciate all comments.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Grand Master

Don't get carried away and remove too much material. A friend did that with a bunch. He called me when he couldn't get sufficient neck tension with standard dies.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Going up in bore size with a given case reduces the need to turn for clearance and increases the chance you lose important neck tension.

Necking down cases is where you are more likely to need to outside neck turn.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Going up in bore size with a given case reduces the need to turn for clearance and increases the chance you lose important neck tension.

Necking down cases is where you are more likely to need to outside neck turn.

Three44s
    True, but doesnt really apply to 300 blk from 223 or 5.56 brass. The new 300BLK neck is formed from the case body below the 223/5.56 shoulder. The old neck is completely removed.

So the trouble is that some brands of brass have thicker case walls and thus thicker necks when formed.

Boolit Buddy
    There are several that are already thin enough. LC, RP, Winchester, Hornady, to name a few.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large in large numbers!!!

"Hope" is not a viable plan and voting for undefined "change" is nothing short of certifiable insanity.