Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primer tool....

Boolit Master

primer tool....

Anybody here use a Lyman EZZ priming tool? If so how does it work?
    They say it won't seat small primers deep enough. Any response will
    be great. I'm thinking about getting one but not sure if I should.
    Denny

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

skeettx...... I've seen those adds from Lyman. I want to hear from someone
    that really has and used one.
    Denny

Moderator Emeritus

leadhead -- I do not own one, but a fellow "range buddy" does. I have an RCBS bench priming tool mounted on a piece of Plexiglas which accompanies me with my Buchanan loader to complement my "truck tailgate loading bench". I love the uniformality of crimp one readily attains with the RCBS bench unit, questioning this -- the uniformality of seating -- on this hand-held unit. In past, I have/had a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer -- purchased to complement my "tail-gate set-up" -- but retired it quickly, in favour of using the RCBS. Re any challenges with small primer size, I cannot address this either, as loading with the Lyman tool was for a large-primer caliber.
    geo

I'm not a huge fan of Hornady tooling but have been very pleased with their hand held primer tool. Gp

Boolit Master

geo.... I was looking hard at the Frankfort Arsenal tool also.
    You say you retired it...would you consider selling it?
    Denny

Moderator Emeritus

Sadly, my best friend Hughie borrowed both it and my Frankfort de-primer (this tool, I really did not care for!) -- and Hugh had the audacity to die last November... These, plus a mould and some M1 Garand gauges... I'll no doubt never again see. (Lonng story re his son-in-law ) IF I still had it -- I'd gift it to you. Sorry!
    geo

Boolit Master

Thank you George, I've been in your place before. Tough to get
    stuff back after that happens. Thanks for the reply.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Anybody here use a Lyman EZZ priming tool? If so how does it work?
    I'm thinking about getting one but not sure if I should.
    Denny
    So if you haven’t bought the Lyman priming tool yet then take a look at the LEE Precision Auto Bench Prime tool. It’s cheap to buy, it works very well and takes very little effort to use.
    It does require unique shell holders, their cheap. Occasionally the plastic housing around the primer seating piston cracks, this part is replaceable.
    I bought a spare set for large and small primers.
    I glued the cracked unit and it still works fine.
    I have tried a few different priming tools and this LEE tool is my favourite.

Boolit Grand Master

Who are "they"? I believe 95% of screw ups with hand priming tools is the user. I don't use a hand primer much these days (I couldn't find one to fit my hand. I had to "reset" them in my hand after each squeeze and when I use my Lee Ergo I have to use two hands). I got a Lee Bench Prime shortly after they came out and the first 60 cased primed I had 3 screw ups. I reread the instructions, mounted the tool solidly, emptied 100 primers in the tray and proceeded to prime 100 45 ACP cased non stop. I have seated a few thousand primers since, with maybe 3 or 4 OOPS!, most often an upside down primer...

From the videos and Lyman's reputation, I would try the E-ZEE Prime with confidence...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

mdi... " They " are 4 or 5 reviews Ive read on a couple of the forums. I think I know
    what might be the problem. It's the thickness of the shell holder there using.. Shell
    holders vary in thickness between different company's, and could be the problem.
    I still use the old Lee round hand seater and it's worked without fail for years, but it's
    starting to show the age and that's why I have been looking to replace it. It's still
    the best tool ever in my opinion.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    I have an RCBS hand primer. Works well enough but it gives me a sore elbow now ( I'm wearing out ). Looking forward to doing it on a press again.

I repaired the broken handles on my two old school lee auto primes with jbweld and aluminum, still hanging in there. A simple idea that works great just poorly built. Was given a lovely rcbs hand primer and as well made as it is it’s terribly awkward to use [for me]. But I do 90% of my priming on my presses. Two 550B’s and two Lyman T2 turrets.

I use the Lyman EZ. It is well-built and seats L and S primers deep enough just fine. I hand prime rifle rounds only. My only issue is that sometimes small primers can flip in the S primer tray. Lyman sent me a replacement tray, and the issue improved, but was not eliminated. I just don't shake/jar the S tray and all's well. No issues with the L tray. I really like being able to use standard, non-proprietary shell holders.

I used a few different ones and settled on the RCBS bench tool and never looked back.

Boolit Master

The Lee is a decent tool. If you take it apart and grease the metal contact points once in a while it’s a really good tool. The RCBS bench priming tool is top notch.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I have tried several of the hand prime units that use the primer trays. I never could cotton to them. After many trials and errors I have gone back to the RCBS Posi-Prime hand primer and I feed them primers one at a time. I also use the old Lee screw threaded hand primer tools but they do require threaded shell holders that have become a little hard to find and more than a little expensive when you do find the right size. I have 5 of the RCBS tools and 6 of the Lee's. The only weakness I have found on the old Lee's is that if you don't hold the lever correctly, it puts added pressure on the top of the lever and being made with cheap metal it can break. I broke 2 handles back in the 60's before I learned how to hold the handle correctly. I hand prime while watching a good football game(college--never pro) or a good western. As far as I am concerned those two in order (RCBS & Lee threaded) are the best ever put on the market except maybe the Sinclair tool( I have one) which is super expensive but made of really good metal. I have never used the Lyman so I can't speak for or against it. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master

I have the Lyman (among others). It works "ok" and is what I use for 50/70 Govt. Sometimes primers get jammed-up in it, but it works better than the RCBS unit (dreck), but not as good as the Lee.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    i have 3 round lee primer tools that work fine for me but i used a friends lee bench tool .works well and no aching thumbs after priming a few hundred cases.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, shell holders seem to matter for the Lyman primer tool. I have one and if I use my Hornady #1 shell holder in it, the primers don't seat as deeply (i.e. - not deep enough) as they do when I use my Lyman #1 shell holder. Also, sometimes the small primers can flip in the tray with the lid on if it gets bumped. Haven't had any issues with large primers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast