Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionPBcastco
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Round Sounded Kinda Funny

Boolit Master
    Yesterday I finished off the last of those 15 grains of IMR-4227 by loading them in the properly chambered .44-40 Colt’s SAA. They were just OK however I’m done with that load and this Colt’s .44-40 has a new .45 barrel on order and it will be recalibrated ASAP.

I did try 454190 454” over 20 grains of IMR-4227 in 4 3/4” and 7 1/2” Colt’s .45’s and found the load satisfactory at 25 and 50 yards, however I see no reason to switch from my standard .45 load of 8.0 to 8.5 grains of Unique at this time.

I don’t understand your unburned powder with 8.5 unique and Lyman 454190. I shot 8.6 grains for years with that bullet sized to .454. I upped to 9.3 but will back down to 9.0. It’s my favorite full powder load combination.

Boolit Master
    No unburnt Unique, the only unburnt powder was the low end IMR-4227.

Unique on the upper end works in 44-40 as well. For reduced loads, I find 700X, red dot or bullseye works well to expand the case and get a seal. Oops, yikes, I just read you fired the 44-40 in a 45 colt chamber. I too took a 44 special and a 45 long colt SAA to the range one day together. Then I noticed a particular load sure sounded funny. Yep, I was firing 44 special in a 45long colt. No damage and the 6 cases sized back to re reused. It sure bothered me that I did that.
    Last edited by smkummer; 06-05-2020 at 11:44 AM.

I inherited some .45 LC brass from a late friend/ CAS shooter. I found Several "45-40s" in the tub. I guess it happens more than one would think....
    BTW they went right back to .44WCF and I'm still using them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Easy to make a mistake. We have either done it or will do it.

Most of the time we don't get hurt and many times the gun survives as well. Glad you "oops" was not serious.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Larry Gibson describes firing with a boolit in the bore. I did that over 40 years ago. The report was just a primer pop, never did I believe a primer would drive a 240 gr. J-word into the bore of my SBH. The next round was 2x 240 gr. being driven by 22 gr. of 2400. That Ruger held together. I mic’d the outside of the barrel and slugged the bore. There wasn’t even a bulge.

When I was in high school I traded up a k32 S&W and got holster and 4 boxes of ammo. This was in 60s and ammo was pre WW2. I took gun with me to buddies that evening. After milking we were shooting at frozen cow pies in loafing lot under flood lights. I shot a couple and they sounded normal. Then one made a hollow bang, I said that was a weak one and buddy said check barrel he didn’t see bullet strike. Sure enough, bullet was 3” up a 6” barrel. It drove out fairly easy with a wooden dowel rod. I was only around 14-15 at the time but was a good lesson that paid off. I’ve had squib but never shot on top one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12